Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. :cool:

loudbang, nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Gosh I love this. I had to save that 3/4 shot of the cab on the flatbed. Too cool!

3. we are a little confused, Charlie had used another model A cowl and it fit fine behind the engine. when he went to bolt up the cab it looked like it needed a little tweaking to clear the back of the engine. the Slacker had to cut a big hole. WHY? are the truck cab firewalls that different? IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0629.JPG

ct1932ford, loudbang and TFoch like this.
  4. I stopped over on my way home from work and made a template out of a cereal box to make a recess. I cut and bent it and Charlie will test and fit it tomorrow. worse case I am prepared to have to make it again if it is off. IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0631.JPG

loudbang, TFoch, nunattax and 3 others like this.
  5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

loudbang likes this.
  6. that is what we thought.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I just went back and looked. I always had at least 4 body bolts in place as I changed out the cross members and rails. I doubt I made it off set this much.

loudbang likes this.
  8. using a model A rear and torque tube, with a 39 box sets the motor in one place. should the motor fit without cutting the firewall?

LSGUN and loudbang like this.
  9. Glad to see the cab's long journey back to the chassis is complete. Nice work!

10. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great progress and craftsmanship!

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I had wondered if you had ever discussed reversing the firewall, but never asked. Thought you probably didn't do it because you needed the room in the foot box.
    The cowl you have is a later 31, because it has the bump in the firewall for the external fuel shut off valve. Not sure if that's what you used for the mock up or not. I also thought the car and truck were the same, I would have done the same thing y'all did.
    As far as you've come now, a little bump in the firewall is just a little inconvenience. Looking good! Good luck!

brEad and loudbang like this.
  12. Ted
    Here how I handle the fuel stand on AV8.

Attached Files:

13. loudbang

loudbang

Fixed it :)

1a.jpg

TFoch, partssaloon and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. thanks, so how indented is your firewall? Charlie was under the impression yours was just dimpled a little.

loudbang likes this.
  15. flatford39

flatford39

Was he comparing to a 30 31 cowl or was it a 28 29 cowl?? All 30 31's are about the same. Your pick up has a late 31 with the tear drop for the fuel valve. That's the only difference in 30 31 cowls. You shouldn't have had to cut the firewall for the 59 AB block. The 8BA's are little harder as they are longer but you really don't need to cut them that much. He had something wrong with how he had it positioned on the frame.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

I like the steering box clearance. Bob

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’m guessing Charlie snuck the engine a little rearward to improve his traction. Now he is being coy. It’s his only chance to get out on his nephews 33 Chevy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Ted
    Held front MM lower then rail .
    Closed driveline , tried to hold engine as level as possible so fuel tower wouldn’t lean towards fire wall
    Intake Manifold as close to level as I could get

Attached Files:

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Install the radiator and shell, then tell us about the hood fitment.:rolleyes:

Bob

loudbang, flatford39 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. What kind of cereal?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

I didn't know you were a collector, I'm running a $5.00 per box close out plus shipping. Bob DSCF9911.JPG

22. raison bran, family size

loudbang and ct1932ford like this.
  23. A602DB4B-24DD-4E47-A032-B14B0ECF963F.jpeg
    I think this is the problem, Charlie has the motor too high in the front. it will still need a recess but not as much. it will also give him a little more positive caster he needs. I will check it out tomorrow.

24. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Can he use the firewall that he used as a template in the truck?

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  25. I will check it out tomorrow. I don't think the firewall is the problem.

loudbang likes this.
  26. he picked up the recess I made this morning and dropped it back off to me at work. he had mocked up some changes with cardboard and I tacked in a flange. I will go test fit it tomorrow. IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0634.JPG

brEad, TFoch, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.