Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which 1932 aftermarket Radiator ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildwest, Jul 28, 2020.

1. wildwest

wildwest

So, I am getting closer to getting my 32 Roadster project together and of course the nice thick top-of-the-line Walker radiator that I got with a project awhile ago has the inlet & outlet on the wrong sides. Damn. The top one isn't a big deal, I could work with that, but there just isn't enough room to run a tube over across the bottom to make it work. I just got off the phone with the only reputable radiator repair place I know of in a 200 mile radius, and he said to take the tank off and switch the outlets would run $300. , plus, it's two 240 mile round trips to get it there and pick it up, so that doesn't make any sense.

I guess i'm buying another new radiator and selling my brand new un-used one !!

I have looked around and i'm wondering if I go with another Walker, do I buy the cheaper "Cobra", or spend the extra $200 for the "4-core Z series" ? or cheap Speedway aluminum one and paint it black ? is there any other options I haven't considered ?

This car is something I plan on keeping forever, and I want to to be reliable and cool well.

The car is a fenderless but full hood & sides Roadster with a manual transmission and a ZZ4 aluminum head crate engine. (355 h.p. 405 lb-ft 350 Chevy)

2. alchemy

alchemy

Walker of course. And I'd only buy the big one. Maybe you can list the current one in the classifieds?

3. wildwest

wildwest

Any more input on the Walker Cobra vs the Walker 4 core Z series ?

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran a Walker Cobra in my old Sedan Deliv. for 12 years (it's still in it) with no problems at all. 302 (non roller) C6, mech. fan, 180 thermostat and never overheated once...even in traffic or parades. I would flush it every 2 or 3 years (including trans).
    Unless you have a mega-motor...it should be fine 100_1677.JPG

5. Garpo

Garpo

Our friendly local radiator shop told me to "buy a Walker" He has seen most things come through his shop. so I did as I was told.

6. My avatar has Walker Cobra and cooling components fan and shroud. Full hood, mild 350 cools very well, even in slow moving traffic.

Phil

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My choice is Custom Auto Radiator for my '32 and '40.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    31 B'ville likes this.
  8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Extremely happy with my Brass Works radiator in my 32 and also running one in my 29 model A.

9. I would think any competent radiator shop could move the inlet and outlet to where you need them fairly easy and much cheaper with less hassle than selling yours and buying another.

Mick

10. Stick with the Walker, post up your current radiator in the classifieds and replace it with a new one, the radiator in my avatar has a Walker in it and it's been reliable for 33 years now. HRP

prpmmp likes this.
  11. prpmmp

prpmmp

X2 !!! Pete

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm a big Walker fan. The radiator in my SBC powered 46 Ford convertible was 20 years old and still going strong when I sold the car.
    I learned a long time ago that when it comes to Steering, Brakes and Cooling to always buy the best. Building a car on the cheap will leave your ass stuck somewhere on the side of the road.

13. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

14. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

I’m a believer in WALKER . On my 2nd one now both have worked great ‼️ Had the outlet moved on the 2nd one at a local shop , very reasonable price and looked like WALKER quality.....

15. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am having mine repaired right now due to the fan breaking and slicing the core.
    IMG_0363.JPG
    Original 32 radiator that had been recored in the 70’s. New core has larger tubes and a lot more of them. From 87 tubes to 147 tubes and with the change from 12mm to 16mm dimpled tubes should be awesome. It was running cool as it was so am looking forward to see the difference.
    IMG_0381.JPG
    Best service anywhere and with the Aussie dollar so bad, you yanks could get a great deal.
    They also do amazing Honeycomb cores for the non-ford types.

https://ftrs.com.au

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. goldmountain

goldmountain

17. wildwest

wildwest

Thanks for all the replys ! I'm pretty sure i'm going with another Walker, just haven't decided which Walker yet. I wish I had a radiator shop half-way local that could trust, but I live in the middle of nowhere and by the time I make two 240 mile round trips to drop off and pick up, plus pay for the repair, I think I would be better off to buy a new one and sell my "new"but pre-owned one (once the new one comes and I have a good box to ship it in !)

18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Post a want as or check on that Facebook site.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you Checked with Webbers Radiator in Yakima
    Weber's Radiator Service

310 S 3rd Ave, Yakima, WA 98902
    (509) 452-3747

They do a lot of work for the local Yakima area rodders along with handling almost all the heavy truck and equipment radiators in the area. The only "real" radiator shop left in this area.

That is a hundred mile one way shot for you that is pretty easy.

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've both used and sold a lot of Walker Radiators with no problems. Currently I have 3 cars with Walkers and 2 with Brassworks all working just fine.