Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric wiper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman41, Jul 29, 2020.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

Has anyone put an electric wiper on their 40 41 chevy. If so what type kit or junkyard part did you use. I believe my 41 olds is the same animal and it has a small chain that connects the arm to the wiper.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Newport engineering lists one using the stock transmissions but not the stock radio. They work fine or do for me. Not on a 40-41

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah if you have ever seen the set up for the wipers on the olds you would understand the dilemma thanks for the get back, I’m hoping someone has done theirs on a chevy olds Pontiac or buick

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

40 Chevy uses the same chain setup. I put an electric motor in the one I built 15 years ago and it bolted up and works fine. I am not sure who made it, came with the switch and wiring. My customer brought it to me after he bought it.

5. Two words: Newport Engineering

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

If your wiper transmission (the stands with the chains ) are good you can use a kit or do like I did and adapt a VW golf or rabbit one (can't remember),25$ junkyard part and few bushings and scrap steel

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have installed a handful of Newport Engineering electric wiper kits, including two recently on my ‘37 Chevy and ‘38 Buick. They use the same style wiper transmission as your ‘41 Olds. I have a ‘41 Buick Series 40A that shares the same Chevy based body as your Olds. I will be installing a Newport unit in that in due time. Newport units are excellent, but for most models they are the power unit only, at the original linkage and pivots (transmissions) are retained.

However, the frequent problem with the chain drive wiper transmissions in that era GM cars is either one or both of the following.......moderate chain ‘stretch’ or excess wear of the chain and sprockets. In the first instance, removing the transmission units from the car, cleaning with solvent, adjusting chain tension (yes, it is adjustable), lubricating with an appropriate grease, solves the problem,

If the parts are excessively worn or damaged, or the housings seriously corroded, replacement may be required. With some luck, good used units may be found. For some models, complete new reproduction transmission assemblies may be purchased. I serviced my Buick units as described. My Chevy units were too far gone.

I & I Reproductions had new units available. Not ‘cheap’ .....almost $300 for the pair. But they were/are excellent quality. The casting of the body, the chrome plating, the links, etc, are all first rate. That’s the good news. The not so good news is that these can be narrowly model specific. There are subtle differences between models and years.

If you do not have, and cannot find, suitable OEM style units, there are alternative methods of adapting other transmissions. Generally, they will require some body work to the cowl. A friend with a ‘38 Buick went that route, using a cable driven kit that offers considerable flexibility as to location of the power unit and spacing of the transmissions.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    i.rant and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. The sorta kinda universal wiper conversion used to be the Lucas system as used in British cars. Cable driven and can place the wiper motor down in the kick panel area.
    Nice thing about Newport is direct bolt in replacement for the vacuum motor.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

Hnstray likes this.
  9. oldsman41

oldsman41

Only ones I’ve seen you can’t use the cowl vent. Have been thinking about hooking up just the driver side with a model a wiper motor

10. rtp

rtp

I put a New Port motor in my 48 old's used stock linkage and transmissions . as said adjust chain to help take up slack. I looked at a lot of setups in car at scrap yards to up date the stock parts but the simple way was the new port motor stock linkage.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

NOT the case with Newport Engineering electric wiper conversion. It is fully compatible with stock cowl vent.

Ray

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. oldsman41

oldsman41

Thanks I will look into it.