Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Check the rulebook, I am pretty sure that line locks are only allowed to be activated by momentary switches.

2. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I love how much thought you put in to everything.
    One of my friends put his line lock switch in the switch panel with all his switches neatly in a row. First time at the track he shut off the fuel pump instead of the line lock in the burnout box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Why not put a mushroom button on the steering wheel, like thousands of racers wearing gloves do for the line lock ???

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually I am really not sure what the exact procedure will be. That was the Austin's routine with DougNash and 3.50 gears.

We will find out this weekend what the Cobra likes!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. I was thinking I posted that photo a while back but I may have forgotten to do it. I like the dude sitting on the fire truck. I am betting he is not looking at the Cobra. I would be. LMAO!

Peanut 1959, Sancho, enloe and 3 others like this.
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is something to laugh about. When we unleash the Cobra this weekend on the streets of Springfield, MO it will not be the first. In fact just is just a couple of weeks from being exactly 67 years ago a 4' long Cobra was found in a backyard and killed with a hoe. If that was not strange enough as a one off situation, a week later another one was killed across the street. Now this is getting serious.

The police were called and the second snake was taken to a local science teacher who definitely identified it as an Indian Cobra. When the third and fourth snake turned up, you can imagine folks were beginning to get a bit nervous. Then number five in another backyard and number 6 in a lady's garage. The seventh snake however is the one that really broke it all loose. A man saw it slither under his house and a Police barrage poured into the neighborhood would not be rivaled until the Waco incident.

They surrounded the house and after every effort failed, fired tear gas into the crawl space. The poor snake finally came out and was promptly shot five times and then finished off with a hoe!

image-1.jpg
    But it wasn't over as number 8, 9, and 10 reared their ugly heads about town. The city was in an absolute panic as no one could explain where the snakes were coming from or even guess how many there were out there! Can you imagine?

image-2.jpg
    Finally in a desperate attempt to force the dangerous reptiles out of hiding the city manager placed large speaker horns on the top of a city truck (see above). For weeks they drove it around the city blaring snake charmer music! LMFAO!

I cannot even imagine the terrible panic that erie music caused residents when they heard the truck coming down the street. Of course it didn't bother the snakes because snakes can't hear! Every time I see a photo of that truck it makes me giggle my backside off! But it is absolutely true!

In mid October snake 11 was killed and that was the last one anybody ever saw! The great Snake Escape of 1953 was over! The entire incident remained a mystery for 35 years until a man with a very guilty conscience came forward in 1988. He had wanted to admit to it for more than 3 decades but was scared there might still be consequences for his actions. After being assured by his lawyer it was safe, he finally admitted to releasing them.

As a kid, he had been given an exotic fish as a part trade by a local pet shop owner. The fish died the same night. When he came back to complain the pet store owner told him to go jump in a lake. Angry, as he left he saw a box behind the store, flipped it over and released a bunch of snakes. He had no idea they were poisonous until the whole thing unfolded.

So there you go. This weekend our DragSnake will be at least the 12th Cobra unleashed in Springfield. Hopefully we will get much less attention from the police! LOL!

9. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I would also agree on the Momentary Switch for the Line Lock. If you accidentally flipped the switch while shifting, it may lock the lines and when you go to depress the brake, it could keep fluid from getting to your caliper.

10. Snakes, why did it have to be snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warbird1, Offset, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's easy to legitimize the location of the photos in that snake story, as there are at least two abandoned water heaters in that guy's backyard. Yup. That's Springfield, MO.

12. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

Guys......whew....we are walking a fine line here. Lots of references to 1964.....getting awfully close to that post 1965 cutoff. I'm getting really nervous, biting my finger nails, and I'm thinking about calling my mom. Just be careful. The law is the law. HAHAHAHAHA

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I hate snakes............But spiders more..

Offset, loudbang, Deuced Up! and 2 others like this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Line locks are directional. When "off" fluid can freely pass in either direction. When "on" the fluid can only go towards the brakes and will hold the pressure until turned off. My line loc circuit is turned on by a manual on-off switch and then controlled by a micro switch hooked to the clutch pedal, turning on with in the last 1/2" of pedal travel. Two small pilot lights, one [green] to show when circuit is on and one [red] to show if line loc is on..

loudbang, Deuced Up!, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Or maybe it will be FORD tuff and not break any ring gear's driveshafts or motors! ;);) lol You two needed to race and may the better brand win! Or break last. And we need pics or it didn't happen ! Larry

16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well Larry I was planning on test and tune at mokan this fri but it’s looking like it’s not gonna happen if this rain keeps up but trust me I’ll make sure and get a good pic of This cobra in my rear view mirror because everyone knows I’ll have plenty of time to get a pic while I’m waiting on him to cross the finish line lmao

17. Cheetahman

Cheetahman

18. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

How about leaving the line lock switch on the steering wheel and use a quick-connect
    electrical connector for the wire? That way the wire could be dropped off prior to the
    turning on the return lane. For normal driving, leave it disconnected.

19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Deuced Up!, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  21. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

All this banter reminds me of back in 1972 when a fellow I knew had an OT '68 Roadrunner. He put a 426 Hemi with dual 4v, headers, etc. and 4 speed with 4.11 posi in it. It sounded good and I knew there was no chance I could take him with my home built 289 with Ford LeMans cam, headers, Holley carb on Edlebrock manifold with 3 speed trans and 3.00:1 single traction 8" rear. This was the first engine I ever built and I had done everything to the car myself. The car being an OT '70 Maverick that I bought new.

Anyway, we are both at the Phenix City Drag Strip and while doing time trials, he asked if I wanted to run him. I said sure, we line up, the lights come down and when I crossed the line he was behind me. He said "I didn't know that Maverick ran so good, let's try that again." I said "Let's go!" Same scenerio, except this time he never made it to the finish line. His drive shaft came out. I told him no problem, my Ford would tow his Mopar home. But, before the night was over, my clutch exploded and he was on his own. I got a ride back to the Station to get the wrecker.
    To be truthful, he eventually got things right and turned times that I couldn't touch.

Sorry, but that reminds me of another time I beat an OT Roadrunner. Same drag strip, year later, first trip to strip with my '55 Ford (not the one in my avatar), that I had bought a couple of weeks before. It had a 272, 2v, with automatic trans and I was running the ET bracket dialed in at 20.50. I had already beat my buddies OT '67 Mustang with Boss 302 and tunnel ram, he was dialed in at 12.50, so I had an 8 sec head start. He caught me just after I crossed the line, so now I'm headed for the Trophy run. Lined up with a Roadrunner, don't remember his dial in, but I beat him. I was even able to let off before the finish line, just in case I was to break out. Lol. The driver of the Roadrunner wanted to know if they would allow a rerun because he had missed a gear. I said "I don't think so, a run is a run!" That was my only Drag Racing Trophy and I still have it.

I have nothing against Mopars, in fact I've owned a '53 Plymouth and 3 Valiants. Someone told me when I was running my Maverick that anyone could make a Chevy run, but if you had a Ford or Mopar that could run, you had something. All my buddies had Chevys and they all respected me. And BTW, I own Chevys also. But, FORDS RULE. I sure would like to see that race if it happens. Good luck to you both. Ron

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200801_161934.jpeg

Dad worked on brackets today to mount the grill and we have it solidly in place. Looks good!

20200801_161908.jpeg

I got the trans tunnel cap installed which included the shifter boot and ring and the now infamous line lock switch. Lol

20200801_162007.jpeg

It is perfect. FYI it also doubles as the reverse lockout switch. The only issue was the dash indicator light did not come on. I could hear the solenoid click but no light.

enloe, Sancho, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  23. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Be kind to your competitors. Keep this in your car for when they get bitten.:D

gettyimages-1172881350-640x640.jpg

24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I pulled the dash out enough to look and found this!

20200801_163022.jpeg

I guess with all the in and out and back and forth of the dash, we somehow pulled all the wires out of the stupid cheap LED lights.

enloe, Sancho, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  25. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

What happened to the glow in the dark shift knob?!:D

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It left the country a long time ago. Back home to mainland China.

enloe, Sancho, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Don't need a ground for that light?

loudbang, Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. It had one. Both wires were pulled out of it. I decided to just swap the signal light indicator one over to it but managed to pull both wire out of that delicate little POS as well in the process! I gave up and moved on.

enloe, Sancho, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This afternoon I knocked another one off the list...the window net. One of these days I hope to fabricate some sliding plexi windows like the originals using the parts from my '57 TR3 side curtain set.

But for now a net will have to do. Probably a ton cooler too.

20200801_184557.jpeg

I had a top rod left over from the passenger side of the Austin...never installed. I held it up there just to see what my options were.

20200801_191759.jpeg

The back slide-in mount was easy. I took one of the original hood hoop hinges that we did not use. It had already been chopped up pretty good. I cut the bushinged hinge end off, welded a bolt to it, drilled a hole in the roll cage support and bolted it in place.

20200801_184549.jpeg

Up front, I cut a seat belt buckle set out of the back seat of an extremely off topic late model Japanese sedan that we are going to turn into a parade clown car. Yes you read that coreectly...LAMO!

But it had some pretty nice hardware.

20200801_191725.jpeg

To keep the tp rod straight down the sides, we had to bend the front of the bar to follow the shape of the upper cage.

20200801_184612.jpeg

After getting it in place I got in the car to make sure it fit and that I could latch and unlatch etc.

20200801_184708.jpeg

It worked really good. I also got to play with the new line lock switch actually installed. The placement is like "butter" lol. It hs so smooth and natural. Perfect.

enloe, Sancho, Offset and 5 others like this.
  30. greybeard360

greybeard360

Can you reach the line lock when you are strapped in?