Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best “shorty” shocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiro, Jul 28, 2020.

1. chiro

chiro

I need a set of “shortys” for the front of my Model A. Dropped axle, lower mounting bungs welded to face of the axle a la Bishop/Tardel book. Traditional F1 style upper mounts. The shocks I have now are not short enough. They must be for those bungs that bolt to bottom of axle so I need shorter ones. I’ve seen them from so-cal and speedway. Who experience with either or knows of another vendor and have positive reviews.
    TIA,
    Andy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can search though the Monroe shock list (about the easiest to find on line and most complete) and once you find a shock that fits your needs you search that shock number and very often other brands that have the same size shock will show up.
    I'd say "Best" is the particular brand you like.

This explains how to tell what ends you need plus it has the catalog https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/pdf/monroe_mount_codes.pdf
    Also their page may be far simpler to use to find the shock than the Monroe PFD.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/monroe_measurements.cfm

This is the Monroe shock chart pfd that I have used for years but that shock warehouse page is far easier to use. I have used the printed version of this one since the 70's.
    This is the link to the Size chart http://www.monroe.com/downloads/install-instructions-guides/MonroeMountingLengthSpecifications.pdf

Just Gary, Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Check with Pete and Jakes as well.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

5. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  6. Better watch out ordering anything from Speedway or Amazon. According to the HAMB they sell nothing but Chinese shit....

7. If you can find a Bilstein shock that fits your application you won't be sorry they cost more. They are worth it if you are actually going to drive your rod more than a thousand miles a year.

The P&J shocks I had were marked Gabriel. They lasted about 20k miles. Not long enough for me to recommend them.
    Phil

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm also a big fan of Bilstein shocks. I have nearly 50k miles on the set on my roadster and they're still going strong. Much better than the So-Cal shocks I started with.

9. Light years better than anything out there.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

da34guy and Tman like this.
  11. sdroadster

sdroadster

If your cheap like me, you can use 50 Plymouth front shocks. Look in the Monroe book on line.

12. That's another good one to know
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Check with Ride Tech. They seem to have the hot setup in hot rod shocks today although they may not have the right length?

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My car has buggy springs front and rear , I used Monroe , I’m not sure , there is enough , suspension movement to warrant a high dollar shock to be installed . This isn’t a road rally type suspension .

15. X 4 or 5 or 6 BILSTEIN.

gimpyshotrods, LBCD, Malcolm and 2 others like this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Koni has the the sizes posted on there site..

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I like and use the Bilstein and Pete and Jakes shortys.

LBCD, Malcolm and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. I am running that setup. Used the Pete and Jakes shortys. 12DD1194-D6A3-49C6-8AD8-8B696E86B54C.jpeg

19. banjorear

banjorear

This. $18 per @ Rock Auto. Made in the USA as well

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The 50 Plymouth shock is Monroe 5752, most likely too long if your mount is on the axle and not below. I’m running them on the front of my Model A.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. sdroadster

sdroadster

Banjo Rear is right. 50 Plymouth's at Rock auto. 12.75 extended, 8.6 compressed, 5/8 eyelet on both ends. They also have an old school dust shield. $18 bucks for the good ones.. I have used these shocks on everything over the years.

A Boner and Jet96 like this.
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Post up the length you need, both extended and collapsed.

23. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Shocks have come a long way. Since they look the same, no reason not to use very high quality shocks. The car will handle like a dream with good shocks.. I would call Mark Sevetske at SC&C and see what they have..

24. ydopen

ydopen

2E75AFB6-BB74-4DBF-963E-903965BEDDD0.jpeg Pete & Jakes shorty

25. What I've learned in the past 30 years, is that there is different grades of Chinese made parts, good and bad, just like American made parts ;) someone posted on my build thread just the other day about "made in the USA with Chinese steel" I ordered new AC Delco ball joints for my car, "made in China" right on the box. I guess that no matter where you buy it from, it's just a roll of the dice.....

A Boner and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  26. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Hard to tell from the pic, but what do your headlight mounts look like? are they combined with the shock mounts?
    I am having issues trying to sort out my headlight mounts. I have them on the top of shock towers now and they vibrate like hell. No room to mount separate with the way I have my shock mounts.

27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you don't mind fabricating , get pinto/ must II , cut the bayonet top off , weld on a shock eye(piece of tubing will work) something you can find a bushing for & there ya' go , short shocks , low bucks ( Ive got $26 in mine) they've lasted 20 years so far.....

28. Another vote for Bilstein.

Malcolm and gimpyshotrods like this.
  29. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I used T bucket shocks on my model A front. The ride hieght is 9-1/2 inches.
    I have gone through 2 sets already as there is not enough movement and they
    bottom out. At ride height there is only 1-1/2 inches of compression.
    I think other folks have had this same problem. Any advice here.