Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guidelines for Hokey Ass Message Board ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by swade41, Jul 28, 2020.

1. As a long time member it was always my interpretation that the Hokey Ass Message Board was a little looser than the Traditional Hot Rod section or the Traditional Custom section.
    It seems as of late lots of threads are getting deleted as well as member posts that are posted in the Hokey Ass section. Now I could understand the deletions if they were posted in the other 2 traditional sections with the posted guidelines, but they are not.
    So what are the actual guidelines for the Hokey Ass section ???

j hansen likes this.
  2. Per the rules posted by Ryan:

"5. As mentioned throughout these guidelines, the H.A.M.B. focuses on TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs. Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here. Please note that we don't focus on things such as modern fuel injected motors, big-inch wheels, frame clips, after market independent suspensions, etc... at all on the H.A.M.B.. As such, posts that stray away from the "traditional inspired" will be deleted."

Desoto291Hemi and Thor1 like this.
  3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Rule number 1;
    You must change your Avatar back to the one I like the most, you know the one!

swade41, Thor1, 40ragtopdown and 2 others like this.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey man, if you have any specific questions or concerns feel free to contact me directly. Sincerely.... no sweat... happy to help clear things up or admit when I've screwed up.

5. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

The very first rule is anything you post about has to be AT LEAST 55 years old. It can't be 53 years old. If it's less than 55 years old it is considered; illegal, not cool, offensive, and or scary.

6. I was under the impression that the Hokey Ass Message Board was a place for the many members that their cars or trucks were not totally original but if they stayed within the guidelines we were good to go.

I posted about a anvil and a compressor on two different occasions and they were bot deleted and told by the moderator to post anything related to tools on the garage journal.

I saw a tool post recently and reported it since the tool threads seem to be off topic, and a different moderator told me to quit reporting tool threads and I explained that I was told tools were to be posted on the Garage Journal.

This was the reply I got - Cob has his own interpretation, I have mine.

Sometimes I don't have a clue as to what is on or off topic, especially when the moderators don't agree. HRP

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Thor1, BamaMav and lurker mick like this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I realize that its really impossible to perfectly define what is always unacceptable, and there has to be a little wiggle room in interpreting this stuff. When I first got on here I was completely unaware of some of the restrictions and committed several violations. I try to accept the idea that there are certain things that are well defined as always being unacceptable....like radial tires. I also understand that small block Chevys were manufactured from 1955 to forever, and allowance is made for later model versions because they can be made to look old and lets face it, they are the premier choice for street rods. So there has to be a little wiggle room in interpretation of the rules.
    That being said, I do think tools are just as much a part of traditional hot rodding as the cars themselves. I also think that people are often very proud of the shops they have to build their cars in. Now to me, I think these two subjects are suited for the HAMB rather than the Garage Journal because the shops and the tools are usually specific to automobile use as opposed to mixing in with a generic site on tools and shops where other hobbies are pursued. I feel that displaying tools and shops that are somewhat specific to cars is very helpful to other builders......ergo its beneficial to the automotive hobby as a whole and useful in building and restoring. Thats how I feel about it, but its not my site and all I can do is express my opinion and live with whatever decision is made.

As an example, I posted a thread which was subsequently deleted. It was about "good deals for Hamb followers". I went to Lowes and saw a super deal on some Kobalt wrenches. I think it was a complete set of metric and standard wrenches for $20. I didn't even need any wrenches but that was a great deal on some nice wrenches. If memory serves me there were about 20 wrenches for $20....and they were well made. It dawned on me that as a network there must be lots of Hambs that see some great deal somewhere in their travels. It didn't have to be a tool, it could be an engine sale, or some clearance on tires, possibly a vendor closing, maybe some type of oil. A few years ago one of the diesel oil manufacturers changed their formula and Autozone was selling the old stock "really cheap". My son and I went to several of the local Autozones and bought all we could find. He only recently had to start buying oil again.

Anyway, I know Ryan has to try to do what he thinks is best or correct for the site, and I respect that. I do think that sometimes he overthinks things..........but then so do I.

Edit: I'll add this...........
    home made tools and equipment. This thread has almost 4 million views and 3700 posts

Thor1 likes this.
  8. Hamb is a little loose,,,,,but not too loose .
    Many turn a blind eye to a few things,,,,,,and then the hammer comes down !
    Can you imagine what shape this place would be in without the mods and Ryan ?
    And remember,,,,,,Ryan is reading a lot more of these posts than you might think .

Like yesterday,,,,,a thread about street racing,,,,,and the first reply is from Ryan .
    He gently states that it is not a good idea to post this stuff to the internet .
    I chuckled to myself,,,,,people just won’t listen,,,,,today I see it was locked .
    When the boss man posts more than once on a thread and it just keeps going on,,,,,what do you expect .
    Yes,,,, it is a kinder more gentler HAMB now,,,,,,but the big hammer is always waiting !

Tommy

lothiandon1940 and Thor1 like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cars prior to 1964 on topic .....
    ( exception 65,66 same body style as 64)

Tools - off topic - Per Ryan that’s what he has the Garage Journal for.

The only interpretation that Moderators follow is Ryan’s.

It’s also possible a Moderator didn’t see or missed a prior questionable topic that required a clarification which another Moderator stating a different interpretation.

Don’t forget, decisions by Moderators are basically editorial decisions, so Moderators use for the most part Ryan’s guidelines which from time to time need clarification.

If any of you are unsure what is, or is not on topic - If you ASK Ryan or a Moderator first BEFORE posting - posts like this will be a thing of the past.

Thor1 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. Might not be the moderators.
    You have to also remember that a bunch of threads are deleted because of being reported, probably most of them. Unfortunately this type of system could get slanted because of personality clashes. A lot of back and forth banter can get nasty and I’m sure revenge can come into play. I personally don’t report anything except spam. Too damn entertaining and I don’t get any enjoyment narking on anyone.

grumpy65, williebill and Thor1 like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I try to keep track of that kind of thing... I don't really do the internet drama thing, so if I see some sort of gang mentality with post reporting, I jump on it quickly... Usually one warning and then closed accounts.

I honestly don't think there is much of that at all anymore.

Thor1, Desoto291Hemi and wraymen like this.
  12. ^ That is good to know. We are all men here ( and a few ladies) and for the most part get along splendidly.

Thor1 likes this.
  13. I'd rather babysit a room full of 3rd grade little girls than have the moderators job here. In my short time here I've encountered some crybaby older guys. And it's amazing how it's the same thing over and over! Ol Ryan needs a switch like my mom used lol.

14. ^ that’s kind of what I was saying with “and for the most part” I’m just glad that personality clashes aren’t part of the delete process.:)

Thor1 and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know that I have a single friend that would actively engage in an internet argument on a forum about old cars... When you think about it, that activity is pretty silly...

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

There are some gray areas in the rules that may be interpreted differently by some of the mods...we do try to be fair. the one thing that I have a hard time with is wheels, If anyone posts off topic modern large diameter wheels and I see it, it gets deleted period....

Tman, bowie, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mark is extremely anal about wheels.
    Unless every car posted has Chrome Reverse with CC Spiders and Whites....
    The rest - delete - delete- delete.....

Second Hot Diggity Dogs is 53 Olds Fiestas - the rest - delete - delete - delete pffft

Bwhaaaa - HA-HA.
    I crack myself up.

18. Yes it’s silly, stupid and childish and it happens here at least weekly. Nothing wrong with that, it’s human nature. People get passionate about what they love. If it doesn’t carry over to delete decisions it’s all good.

Thor1 and Moriarity like this.
  19. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How do you post a link to another thread, as in post #4 above?
    (FNG!)

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh. It does. If there's a guy that's prone to being argumentative and kind of an asshole, I typically delete those without much consideration at all. I'm like a robot. :)

See the red "quote" button? Hit that.

Sancho, Thor1 and bowie like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you simply go to the thread you want to post a link to and then highlight the address bar, right click on it and select copy, then go to the thread you want to post it to and right click and select paste

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I misread... Mark's right.

Shutter Speed and Thor1 like this.
  23. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you gentlemen.

Thor1, lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  24. I hear ya, I’m good. I was just referring to reports from members that might have a grief with the poster.

Thor1 likes this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

just because a post gets reported doesn't always mean it gets deleted. a fair amount of reports are rejected by the mods

Thor1, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m trying...
    Using Apple iPad. Having no luck seeing “prompts” after first step.
    I’m not very good, but I am slow!

Thor1 likes this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

are you on the app? or the full site? you may have to use a computer to get it to work...

28. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m on the full site. Been posting for years. Finally started a thread (SPD/WK/‘11), and want to add the link to my “signature”.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I did it for you, hope that is what you wanted