Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Good USA 60psi tire gauge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Jul 7, 2020.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

This was my favorite, Accu-Gage 1025 that was perfect until a couple months ago. It would hold pressure reading for days...then quit altogether.

I contacted manufacturer since lifetime warranty, emails back and forth, they claim Covid fouled their production up.

I took it apart, thought I had it fixed then lost a rubber solid washer about 1/2" diameter. It works, won't hold pressure.

Bottom line, any recommendations for replacement? Must be made USA, 60psi, hold button, hose about foot long or so.

At a good price!

Thanks so much. 20200707_202854.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try Longacre ask if USA made... most of the other tools we have bought for our Circle Track car are...

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hombre likes this.

5. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I make my own and have for years. I look for New Old Stock gauges on Ebay. There were several gauge companies that were american made in the 70s, 80s and some in the 90s. A lot of gauges are from utility companies that merged and downsized, old power plants that were moth balled, etc. They had jobbers come in and buy all their inventory for pennies on the dollar. So consequently, a lot of unused gauges, in the box, have found their way onto sales sites. I retired from a utility company and our warehouses always kept a multitude of gauges on hand. I look for Marshalltown natural gas gauges. Usually get them for 6 to 8 bucks and coupled with a $6.00 Milton chuck, I have less than 15.00 bucks in them. You have to use common sense when buying one, just like anything else....you'll see some advertised as nos with the needle setting at 5 or 10 psi......which of course means it's been overpressured and sprung. These aren't test or process gauges, so they'll probably be in the neighborhood of +-2%. I also bought an NOS Perma-Cal that can be calibrated and check from time to time that they are in the ball park. They don't have a hold feature or rubber hose but they've always worked for me......at a cheap price. One note: these gauges will last if you take care of them but I wouldn't bounce them off the garage floor very often. The small one in the pic with the chuck on it is going on 20 years old.

DSC00651.JPG DSC00653.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  6. egads

egads

I use one of these, but don't know where its made,[​IMG]

7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

8. FB67E0DB-02BE-46B6-8263-6765E3BB3ED8.jpeg I read a lot of reviews on tire gauges and decided to pull the trigger on this one, not USA but had a good rating. I bought 4 as that was what I needed. Only one holds pressure now and none give the same pressure reading , needless to say I DO NOT reccommend this gauge!! I believe I will hunt down skme old n.o.s. gauges and build up my own like suggested. Happy hunting, Mitch.

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have always carried a pencil tire gauge in our cars. At the time, they were inexpensive and currently, still work well. The gas station hoses with the built-in air gauge was sometimes stuck or broken. So, the need to carry around a pencil tire gauge was there. They fit anywhere. It is a hard habit to break and it is so handy sitting in the side door panel catch-all area.

They may not be as fancy as the dial gauge plus neat hose attached, but it works. Our local tire store has the air gauge dial and hose attachment. Then they use their compressed air hose for corrections. In between, some of the customer service guys reach into their pockets and take a reading with the pencil tire gauge. In a modern tire shop with access to the fancy dial faced gauge and hose attachment.

Jnaki

Well, the pencil tire gauge fits in their pockets, where as, they have to walk over to the hook on the wall to get to the dial gauge and attached hose. Old times, modern times, convenience is/was calling during those low tire days and road trips.
    upload_2020-7-11_4-16-31.png
    This analog gauge is to modern digital gauges as a typewriter is to a laptop computer. While it's ancient technology, it's still far better than nothing. It will help you to keep your tires in the correct inflation range and do it for a rock-bottom price. No hose, no space requirement, no problem... plus, they fit in our pocket protectors with simplicity...

11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I ordered two gauges, a Longacre and a Rhino USA. The Longacre came with a chuck adapter, Rhino a cloth bag. Both about the same price. Both the tires I checked were same measurement.
    Longacre made in Taiwan, Rhino made USA. The Longacre doesn't hold reading, but you can release pressure.
    Rhino holds reading and release pressure.
    I like Rhino better.

12. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Picture 20200728_163545.jpg

13. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

[QUOTE
    Longacre made in Taiwan, Rhino made USA. The Longacre doesn't hold reading, but you can release pressure.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I studied the Rhino web site and was unable to find anything that said their products were made in the USA, it does say it is a U.S. family owned company. Did I miss something? They have some interesting products that I have thought about purchasing, although the made in U.S. is a factor.
    Jim

14. EmptyB

EmptyB

Every dial guage i've had ends up going south after a while. Lot of $ down the rabbit hole. Bottom line, i replaced my dial with a Snap-On old school pencil guage.

sevenhills1952 likes this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The real issue is getting the things calibrated.
    I had two nice looking dial type gauges that I brought to a friend who was working calibrating gauges in a large industrial facility. One of the gauges was within 2psi for its whole range, the other was 10psi out on the entire range.
    He repaired them by removing and reinstalling the pointers at the correct positions, using special tools made for the job.

Considering how much importance safety authorities (and fuel conservation authorities) place on correct tire inflation, it is surprising that there are no publicly accessible tire gauge checking locations out there.

16. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Rhino is "Designed and Engineered" in the USA, as it says on the box......it's made in the PRC - Peoples Republic of China. A lot of companies that sent their manufacturing overseas or down south use the D&E in the USA . I believe Stewart Warner uses D&E in USA for their gauges that are made in Mexico.

17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

made in china by children no doubt

18. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I studied the Rhino web site and was unable to find anything that said their products were made in the USA, it does say it is a U.S. family owned company. Did I miss something? They have some interesting products that I have thought about purchasing, although the made in U.S. is a factor.
    Jim[/QUOTE]I just looked! Everything says USA...but just now looked at box!!!!! #@%&* View attachment 4769240 20200728_183039.jpg

19. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

What gets me is we (USA) are the best imo.
    We design stuff, it's made somewhere else who in turn steal our design! And I want to help our people out!

reagen likes this.
  20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Does their website feature a majestic bald eagle and the Stars and Stripes blowing in the breeze?
    And maybe a hint or two at God for good measure?

On a different note, a gauge can be a perfectly made wonderful thing, but if it's been dropped somewhere along the line, it can still be inaccurate.

21. Canuck

Canuck

Just thought I would give a bit of a warning. After many years of good service from my old AccuGage, it suffered a accident, fell on the shop floor. Ordered a replacement and noticed it looked a little different.
    upload_2020-7-28_23-17-40.png
    Accugage has TWO lines of gauges, one imported, so watch it. Took the old one apart and found it was just the spring that had got crossed up and all is good now. The new one, while it doesn't look as good as the old one appears to work just fine.

Meanwhile, I still have another gauge that gives accurate readings and holds pressure just fine. Received as a bonus for signing up for a subscription to Hot Rod Magazine in the early 60's, not sure of the actual year. Been in the tool box or glove compartment of my cars ever since. Can't always judge a item by price alone.
    upload_2020-7-28_23-24-16.png

22. low down A

low down A

23. fleetside66

fleetside66

You see a lot of old ones made in the U.S. on Ebay. I've had good luck with this old Moon one....I think U.S. Gauge made these.

IMG_5738.jpg

jim snow likes this.