Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrecting the 1964 Rambler Classic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RamblerClassic, Dec 28, 2009.

1. SoCal

SoCal

Wow a 2 door, don't see many of them round our way. In fact I only know of 2 in the whole country!
    I've had mine for 5 years now I think and was in the family for years before that, nice to have something a bit different.

[​IMG]

2. pdq67

pdq67

I know you want to run what is in it, but, imho, the old 327" and 343" are "Boss" AMC engine's to say the least.

I bought two new AMC's way back then, a '73 AMC Hornet w/ the 232", 6-banger 2-dr post w/ the A/T, A/C, P/S, tinted glass comfort package back then for like $2600 or so??

Next, years later, a new '77 AMC Matador 258" 4-dr sedan fully loaded same comfort package b/c AMC was big on it along with H-D suspension and posi-rearend to boot and it was one of the most "stately" ROAD cars I have ever owned and the older you get, the more you will appreciate the word "stately" when referred to a "ROAD CAR" sedan!

He, He!! Our family expanded is why!!!!!!!!!!

pdq67

3. farna

farna

The two-door post and hardtop 63-66 Classics aren't that rare, there are still plenty out there. Of course the four-door sedan was the staple of the line. In 64 there were over 101,000 four door sedans built compared to just over 23,000 hardtops and 14,000 two door post sedans -- almost 3:1 four door vs. two door. While I'm at it, AMC built just over 72,700 four door Classic wagons (no two doors). That's just the Classic -- the Ambassador was built on the same body for 63-64, just trim differences along with a different grille and a bigger engine (only the 327 2V or 4V, no 287 or sixes those year Ambos). There was around 18,500 Ambos made of all body styles total ed together in 64.

4. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

although off topic, i'm starting to wish i had kept the 67 rambler rebel sst 770 convertable i had in my 'youth'. have never seen another one.

looks like you have a nice project there.

5. farna

farna

If anyone is SERIOUS about finding a particular AMC or Rambler let me know. There's a guy in Illinois with a 67 Ambassador hardtop he needs to gt rid of. No drivetrain, good sleeper material, and it will go cheap enough. Those are nice looking cars -- like a Rebel Machine only 8" longer in front.

6. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Just finally purchased a 327 block, and im planning on doing a modification to a torker, to make it fit, Pics coming within an hour.

7. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Here we go!

327 pictures.

Attached Files:

8. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I'm proud of you son (he paid 40.00 bucks)
    Now, mow the lawn.

9. Rebel 327

Rebel 327
    from Ohio

Before going too far--check the engine mounts on the block with those that are on the engine in your car. The engine mounts were changed starting in 1963 and 327s were around before that. If it is the same, good for you. If not, you may have to fab something. Not sure if you have looked at American Parts Depot in Ohio or Egge in California but both have everything you need for your engine. Gasket sets are cheapest at Autozone from what I have found. You may want to make a list of everything you will need. Rebuilding one of these can cost $3000 easily if you use all new parts. Ebay is a great source for some parts. Just keep in mind Jeep and Gray Marine when doing your search. Good Luck.

10. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

The engine was out of a 64 ambo. Im not worried about motor mounts, worst case, ill mount the engine in solid.

11. farna

farna

The difference is the 63-66 287/327 has two extra bolt bosses on the side toward the center compared to 56-62 250/327 V-8s (287 came out in mid 63). The early engines have two bosses on each side on the front and one a bit further back. The "back" boss is used as the front on the 63-66 models. 56-62 had four point mounts, 63-66 three point. Late blocks have the front mount bosses, early ones don't have the side mount bosses.

12. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Wait.... are you the guy on craigslist selling the engine for $800 w/o an intake?

I still might be interested in pistons...

13. RamblerBlamblerman

RamblerBlamblerman
    from belmont,nc

Its very true. I have a 1964 rambler american 330 and the front seats lay flat with the back seat and its perddy comfortable..

ps does anyone know where I can get a gas tank for a 64 330 rambler?

14. farna

farna

RamblerClassic -- there are no $800 rebuild kits for the 250/287/327 -- not with oversize pistons anyway (you can get one less pistons for under $800). Kanter sells the basic kit that has pistons/bearings/gaskets/timing chain and gears, but no cam, for $1043.08. The pistons are made by Egge Machine -- you might trim $20 or so off by going directly to them, but that's about it. Check with NAPA -- they might have a set of oversize pistons languishing in a warehouse. Have them check nation wide! Good luck on that...

15. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Well, the project is taking a drastic turn. (I believe for the better)

Over the past 3 years of playing with this thing, i still dont have any progress on the engine (but quite a bit of progress on the chassis) and pardon me if this is not considered "traditional".

Im going to rebuild my 327, not bore it, and build the engine around Turbocharging, i want to have the biggest, most badass gen-1 Rambler engine ever conceived by man, due to low aftermarket support, doing this all-motor would be next to impossible, so forced induction is my only method, and no superchargers were ever made, and turbocharging is quite popular nowadays, so i might be able to get pointers from people i know. I hope to push upwards of 700+ HP with this engine. The idea would be more of a "Thunderbolt" type deal, a Factory Experimental dragster.

Sorry if i just lost interest with the traditional-resto guys, but i want something i can have fun with, not sit in my garage getting no miles.

Future Modifications:
    Turbocharger
    Predator Carburetor (with blow-through set up)
    polished rods.
    Ported heads
    Custom low-comp pistons
    other little things i've forgotten about, but if there is still interest by the time i get around to it, ill post it on here, maybe some other guys who want to squeeze as much power out of a Gen 1 as possible will be interested.

16. farna

farna

For that kind of power you need to think DUAL turbos. Then you can get a couple four cylinder turbos from the junkyard and run one for each bank. I saw a Saab 900 setup complete with intercooler that I really liked. Only a 2.0L engine, but remember that the little fours turn a lot more rpm than a larger engine, therefore pump as much air as a much larger engine. I think the Saab used a T3, but it should pump enough for half a 327 (wouldn't use it on the whole thing!). A pair of T4s from a Volvo might be better though.

The main "problem" with the GEN-1 AMC has always been the heads. You can't get much of a bigger valve in there, otherwise they are fine. Forced induction gets around the valve size problem, to a point. You should be able to get 600+ hp from it. Since it has a 4" bore finding forged pistons (the only thing you need to change in the reciprocating assembly) won't be real expensive. A converted Torker intake might be best with the turbos -- I generally prefer a dual plane for NA street motors.

I like the overall idea, the "T-bolt" concept sounds good. Find an old Rambler dealers name to put on the side, make it look like a dealership sponsored car.

17. Matchless

Matchless

Enjoy the hell outta that car bud.
    I had a '64 660 2dr post in 1973 when I was 16 and had just gotten my license. Started out with a 196 but my girlfriend at that time threw the car into reverse at 50mph one day ( the day before I turfed her azz) and that ended the 196.
    My uncle had the same year/model with a 287 so I bought it and did my very first engine/trans swap ......in the winter in a snowbank ( I'm in Ontario Canada). The nice thing about doing it then was that if you barked your knuckles you wouldn't feel it until your hands thawed out.

That was the ONLY nice thing about doing it in the winter.

The 6 cylinder springs didn't like the extra weight so the nose dropped about 3 inches - perfect!
    The 6 cylinder diff didn't like the extra ooomph of the 8 and it let go in a spectacular fashion one night.......I might have helped it along some.....
    The lay-down seats saved me ton's of money on motel rooms.
    That car would track perfectly straight on the highway at 90 mph all day long, I loved it.
    I'd like to find another.........

blowby likes this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Took driver training in a 64 Classic wagon 287 3 speed on the column and a 65 Ambassador 4 door sedan
    327 automatic. the local Rambler dealer donated the cars to the school system for driver education.
    We used the wagon to run for parts in auto shop class. The teacher would only trust a few of us to drive it. That wagon was pretty quick with the 3 speed.

Matchless likes this.
  19. 8 year old thread and the OP hasn't been around since 14.;)

Matchless likes this.
  20. Matchless

Matchless

lol, yeah, I didn't see that until after I added my submission.........I was just so damned happy to see a thread on the Rambler......

21. farna

farna

I know the feeling... I'm sort of the resident Rambler Guy/Guru.... check in from time to time to see if anything new AMC/Rambler related has been posted. Not much, but sometimes...