Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Going to break in a engine this week

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 26, 2020.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Bought a 65 mercury with a fresh but never fired up 390 and since I do not know all what has been done I presume everything is new,its been about 15 years since I last broke in a new engine so I do not want to screw this one up with my oil choices. It seems like no one locally carries any break in oil so I was thinking about ordering some from Jegs so will I still need any additive or just use it alone.

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use some type of pre-oiler so you have oil pressure before you start it. I made one from an old paint pressure pot. I've seen them made from old brake bleeders and hand pump garden sprayers as well.

Speedbug78 likes this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Jeff,, Penn Grade oil supplier is off Webster St just passed Needmore Rd on Boulder Ave.. They sell break end oil and also any weight Penn Grade( used to be Brad Penn ) oil with Zinc in it you want.. I've used them for about 10 years....

Speedbug78 and warbird1 like this.
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Going to pre lube it with a speed wrench with a 5 /16 socket before I do anything.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Will be calling them tomorrow.

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How long has the engine been sitting since the rebuild.

Truck64 likes this.
  7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

The real question here ... may be time to disassemble and put it back together.

So many times these engines are rebuilt but not started for 15 years or more ... you just have to ask yourself if you are feeling lucky

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Was told 3 years and its not stuck,since I have to remove the distributor it will be prelubed before I spin the engine.

9. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess that my concern about an engine that has been sitting for three years would be what was used for an assembly and cam lube and if it's still plyable or has it stiffened up. I would at least pull the valve covers while you prelube. You might get a feel for what's in there. And I would take plenty of time doing the prelube. A flat cam break in can be a bit of a crap shoot these days on a fresh build. Double check timing and all the details before attempting to start it up. You want it to fire up and keep running at about 2200 to 2500 for at least 30 minutes to seat the lifters on the cam. Should you have a tight lifter in the bore so it doesn't rotate, the cam will not last.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After prelubing I am going to turn it over by hand to make sure there is no stuck valves and could remove the rocker arms and stick my lifter removing tool down the holes to make sure a lifter is not too tight.

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last 8 I have done all used this. I have had no issues.
    upload_2020-7-26_17-14-36.png

Speedbug78 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. Jegs sells a break in oil..if ya use a break in oil...no need for other additives. Prime for oil pressure, make sure ya got gauges that work, set the timing, shoot some gas down the carb, have a screw driver handy to set the idle and make any adjustments to the car..

Once ya run it for 20-30 minutes at 2000-2500 rpm drain the oil, refill it with a good zinc oil and a new filter

I’ve got some Lucas Hot Rod Oil and a new Motorcraft filter the throw on it.

I went through this last weekend..motor sounds killer for 2 minutes I ran it...I had coolant leaks and trans cooler lines leaks at the trans issues. Still dealing with cooler fitting leak, thought I had the coolant leak handled....nope couldn’t be easy..
    1921CC6A-E242-40D4-8267-B75E509524D2.jpeg
    Once I get the trans issue dealt with I’m firing it back
    up and once it gets to operating temp throwing some alumaseal in it...not gonna strip these those bolts, and they were torqued to spec..

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    stillrunners likes this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was going to order it from Jegs but was told a local supplier has some so I am going to check that out first.

14. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Flat tappet cam needs high zinc in the oil.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Got the oil today,one would think all parts stores would have it and glad I know I can get it locally.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

FE blocks are known for stuck valves if they set for a long time. I'd probably pull the rocker covers and spark plugs and spin it with the starter before I tried to start it. That is, unless you are feeling lucky.

stillrunners likes this.
  17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After I pre lube it I am going to turn it over by hand to see if there are any stuck valves.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

No stuck valves and ready to fire when I get some points and a condenser.

stillrunners likes this.
  19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good luck.. Just went through this a month ago...

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck Jeff. I’ve never used breakin oil in my life and never lost an engine yet. At least 50 engines. At one time I started all of them with non-detergent 40 wt oil and after 20 minutes and hot drained it.
    The only bad thing I see is not knowing if the cam was coated with moly like Isky-lube.

21. Joe H

Joe H

Slowly rotate it while pre-oiling helps, it will fill all the lifters and insure oil reaches everywhere it should. I would also have everything read to start, then pre-oil again, drop in distributor and fire up. Start while the oil is still in the system.

Have a garden hose ready to cool the radiator if the fan doesn't keep up, its best to keep it running once started, tune as you go, and keep the rpm at or above 1800. At least be outside with no hood and box fans if you don't want the water mess. I have run them with only the water hose feeding the water pump and then dumping the water out the thermostat hose, varying the water flow to maintain constant water temp.

Have a wet towel to snuff out any fire if something goes wrong, and fire extinguisher near by.

Penn Grade oil and WIX or NAPA Gold filter and you will be on the road in no time.

warbird1 and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  22. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I hate starting new engines! Drives me nuts running it at 2000 rpms right off the bat, Longest 20-30 min, of my life. But so nice when its over and it runs good, Great milestone in the build, time to have a drink and relax. Do what everyone here says and you should be fine and good luck.

scotty t and scrap metal 48 like this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There was assembly lube on the distributor gear and could see it in the lifter bores and was not hardened so I think I should be good,I spun the oil pump some and then turned the engine some over and over again and then put the distributor back in and removed the plugs and spun it over with the starter.

jimmy six and scrap metal 48 like this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Good luck. Keep us posted.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its alive and can not believe my dumb ass screwed up the points adjustment twice but its running smooth now,charging system is not working so that is tomorrows project after I cut the grass and then on to the froze up shift linkage.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  26. Bought a fresh banger at an estate sale a few years back...know it had to have been sitting for a while....still scared of it but still turns over.....it was either for the deceased roadster or A pick up that sold before....

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It went around the block tonight,it had a decent brake pedal but nothing happened so everything in the brakes must be froze up. The dragging rear brakes is what slowed it down.

28. great......any pictures ?

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

This is the car 101_0019.JPG

30. cool....sister actually had one with the window that went down in the back....I'll reminder her tomorrow....