Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to take care of your shoes, my daddy drove that point home firmly. I keep a nice sheen on the Allen Edmonds.

You both are right. I am a mortgage banker for the last 30 years and having one hell of a 2020. The housing market is flourishing to say the least. More chromin money.

loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. That's a drag..the '41's are hard to find, especially not with the end broken off.

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's not a 40 part if I am correct. Part number is 11C8215? Not all of it is legible (like my wife's handwriting when she has had a couple martinis) but the 11C designates a 41 hood release handle. Correct?

Evidently someone, somewhere, hacked off the broken, pitted, rotted area and shortened the latch handle.

loudbang likes this.
  4. 11C8215 is correct for '41 p/u hood release handle.
    I would have to agree it has been "hacked off the broken, pitted, rotted area and shortened the latch handle".
    They extend down further to allow for your fingers to get underneath to pull the lever up.
    Apparently it was a weak designed area, as a lot of them are broken off..I have two myself.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It must not fit in the waterfall because of the chrome plating thickness. I'll have to do some filling

loudbang likes this.
  6. I wouldn't start filing on the Chrome just yet. They aren't that tight in stock form plus they are Chrome in stock form.

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. I have 3 of the '41 emblems with the lever installed..the gap is consistent on all 3, at the top (thinnest part of the lever) there is maybe 1/16" gap on either side..when the lever gets wider at the bottom, the gap increases.

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll check it out before I tiool it out. Wish it was longer (that's what she said) but I'm just glad I have one (that's what I said)

9. Oh..oh my!

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Who makes this tray? I am an idiot. I made my own. This would have been way easier. I mounted my fuse panel to it. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-legrange-produce-tribute-truck-build.936696/page-4

loudbang likes this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

loudbang, Bandit Billy and Tim like this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Found this while rummaging through the little books. Thought about that open area between the bumper.
    81AC95EF-A330-4A3A-BE6A-88F405E71320.jpeg

14. jmkporsche

jmkporsche

Look great Billy. Can’t wait to see it with the full set of wheels!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Wizzard @Pist-n-Broke had an idea like that as well, a bumper fill. I have studied the rear and with the lower bumper brackets an a truck it would nearly necessitate some sort of rolled or dropped rear pan. And I'm unsure of the look of the pan. Up front the filler would require some hours but could be achieved without too much trouble.

It does look slick and custom @Roothawg More things to ponder while awaiting rear wheels.
    Thanks, you and me both on those wheels. I can't believe it is taking this long for Kovid the Kruel to weld them up and get them dipped in the shiny stuff.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have stacks and stacks of little books. I collect ones that feature pickups, since that is my main obsession. I'll keep looking.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Do that!

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's talk about running boards. More precisely these.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-14-21.png
    A bit rusty after 80 years of lying about. I had them sand blasted and then I sat off patching the rusted areas which were generally contained to the rear most part of the boards that extend under the cab and the front of the bed where leaves and debris gather and hold moisture, inevitably leading to oxidation. New flanges were needed back there as well.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-16-38.png
    I also finished welding in the side pipe "indentation" for lack of better words. I tacked them while they were on the truck but saved the welding when they would be "in position" and easier to deal with. You can see some reshaping at the front edge of the board if you are familiar with these boards, they just needed some tweaking to make them what I wanted them to be.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-18-35.png
    Top and bottom, I don't ever want to feel ashamed of having someone take a peek under my skirt.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-19-46.png
    The surface had to be metal finished for the next step and those small imperfections are nothing to be concerned with. The boards were never going to be gloss paint quality so I went a different direction. But I did give those pipes some added attention in case they attract prying eyes.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-22-27.png
    Now comes the fun part. Rhino lining. I picked them up this morning after about a week.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-23-31.png
    Again, both top and bottom. Stops whatever rust was happening, seals everything, can't scuff them so you don't freak when someone actually steps on them. The finish is perfect and they look brand new!
    upload_2020-7-30_10-27-17.png
    Those pipes I welded in look like they are supposed to be there. I left the spare tire support on the right board but I closed up the hole on the top of the board as it was not needed... and I could.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-28-12.png
    I know where I welded in the replacement panels and flanges but I cant find the seams. The guys that did this was Rhino Linings of Vancouver, WA. They are artists with this medium, applying it over the new smooth steel one day, then blending it into the porous, formerly rusted areas the next to create a uniform coat.
    upload_2020-7-30_10-31-22.png
    They will never see rust again in my lifetime. They are custom, they are beautiful, they are solid, and they are done.
    Check this one off the to-do list.

Attached Files:

brEad, loudbang, flynbrian48 and 6 others like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Douglas! The plan is to apply the same coating to the underside of all 4 fenders, both to protect the top finish against rock stars (not the amped-up sodas nor the amped-up singers) and the make the finish beneath the truck uniform, black and easy to care for.

loudbang likes this.
  21. You just keep making progress in Leaps and Bounds don't ya. Way Kool man, well done. I know what you started with and I gotta say I'm impressed! Saying they needed a little help to start with is an understatement.

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Billy, you're way ahead of me! When I clicked your post and saw that it was running boards I was preparing in my mind a suggestion to use Rhino or similar compound!
    Friend of mine used it on an old Ford dump truck, applying with a small roller and it worked out quite well! Not show quality like yours, but just something to make it look a bit more presentable.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I had been kicking the idea around for some time due to the rough condition of the boards and the fact that my wife will have to use them to enter and exit the truck either as a passenger or driver (5.3"). Painted boards just wouldn't work as anal as I am about finishes. Rhino liner seemed like the right answer and after seeing them done I couldn't be happier with the result. On a black truck they should look perfect.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Billy, you can topcoat the rhino lining as well, then it won’t turn chalky and will wash easier. We used endura paint but any will work

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My painter buddy said the same thing, he says that Rhino takes paint real well!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I should be the sales rep for this stuff but here you go. I spray it on the bottom side of all my cars. The Produce truck has it on the boards. It has faired well. It's tintable too. I like it because I don't have to farm it out.
    https://tcpglobal.com/pages/u-pol-b..._NweGb2grvensPwpJTN-AOs0pkusnRfBoC0kUQAvD_BwE
    It comes with the spray gun. I have like 10 of them laying around. Amazon is the cheapest place I have found it.

I know you have already sprayed yours, but figured someone might want to know.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this what you are going to use on your white running boards @Roothawg ?

loudbang likes this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking about checkerboarding my firewall and the underside of the cab, just sayin. If I ever roll it I can play checkers while I wait for the tow truck.

Stogy, J. A. Miller and loudbang like this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Always thinking......I like that.