Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Questions about "Electronic Titles"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never hear of this before. Is this a real thing?

I am talking to a guy about a car, an early Ford Falcon, in Florida. He has assured me that the car has a clean, clear title and that is electronically filed with the Florida DMV. He said that if we move forward with a sale, he will need to schedule an appointment with the DMV, which would take at least a couple weeks, and have the title printed.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

upspirate likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is now an option in many states.

If the sale were in-state, the transfer would be electronic, with paper only on request.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When a gal gave me an old camper that her hubby had owned a few years ago and couldn't find the title we met at the car license both of have used for years, she showed them her executor of the estate paper and they pulled up the info on the camper and they did the transfer for us in short order.

The same place has pulled up the info on one or more of my rigs when I forgot the registration slip when I went to get new tabs. Last time on the dualie gas hog that never leaves the yard unless it has a job to do.

Thor1 likes this.
  4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the information guys. I had no idea that electronic registration was taking place. I guess I need to get out more...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We still get paper titles in the mail and are expected to use them but the info is in the state's computer if the title was processed since they went with the computers. Old titles on rigs that haven't been registered have to be searched in the archives at the capitol to make sure the title is legit.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The more of this stuff thgast goes 100% electronic , the more likely it is that persons with nefarious purposes will find a way to " legally " walk away with the ownership of your car . Its all really somewhat frightening , like the bank " losing " your money !?

7. What does your piece of paper prove? You go to the DMV with it and they look the info up on a computer to verify. If I have the wherewithal to hack the DMV computer I can certainly forge a title document.

loudbang, Thor1 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. I still try to get paperwork on everything I do, I still use the US mail for my bills and banking because I like a paper trail to prove what actually takes place instead of trusting electronics which have a history of messing up at the most opportune time for the "man".

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. That is not how any of this works.

The more of this stuff that goes 100% electronic, the LESS likely it is that persons with nefarious purposes will find a way to " legally " walk away with the ownership of your car .

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The vast majority of what people call hacking starts with "social engineering". What that means is that someone is conned into giving out critical information, or some picks up a USB stick they found in the parking lot and plugs it in, or opens up an email without checking to see if the address in the header matches the correct sender address.

Social engineering is people hacking, and it is easier to do with paper, and a private transaction.

11. upspirate

upspirate

Yep, when I bought new cars, boats, Florida asks if you want just electronic or a paper title. Can't remember if there's an additional charge for paper ones at initial time of transfer/issue, but there is a charge if you want one printed later on. If I'm going to keep something a long time, I'm getting electronic. If I think I may turn it within a year , I get paper, although it may be a better thing to have it electronic and go to the DMV to conduct an transaction these days

Thor1 likes this.
  12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Well , the sky appears blue & the grass appears green & clouds look white today ,but I have complete faith that you'll find enough verbiage to contradict that & pound it into the ground ......carry on ....

low down A likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

It really doesn't seem to matter any more if you have paper or not...if the computer has an entry that disagrees with the paper, the paper doesn't mean a damn thing. btdt

14. rusty valley

rusty valley

said it yesterday, say it again today, i hate the modern world. been trying to order a pizza for a couple weeks. phone was always busy, as in "off the hook" ( remember that saying?) so, i get on the computer to see if they have a new number, or out of business, i find that they now only order online, and you need to set up an account, and pay with CC card. now i need another f'ing password for a pizza delivery. sorry for the drift

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    loudbang, 56don, RMR&C and 1 other person like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guy named Billy once wrote: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Predictable , as usual , name , from state farm LOL

low down A likes this.