Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanna see that top when you're done! I'm thinkin' about doin' the same thing to mine. :cool:

2. I've got a half of a quart left from 2 separate jobs, figured i might as well use it for something! That shit is over $200 a quart! It won't stick out but it'll show up in the sunlight. I'm gonna throw some prizmatyque in the clear also ;) i know, out of control ain't I :cool:

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I did a customers 57 Shorty like this. He liked it 20170801_184945_001 (1).jpg

4. Well I'm gonna come clean. We was sitting around the burn pit the other night, relaxing and shooting the shit. My old lady started talking about my car. I told her that honestly I'm not a fan of it, and she looked at me like i just kicked her grandpa in the nutsack. She asked why. I told her that every car i have ever built or owned for myself in general, has never been fancy, shiny paint, gleaming chrome, e.t.c... it's not my style i guess. I'm not pretty, and i don't like my cars to be that way. I make money painting cars for everybody else, but I've never painted one of my own, i guess you could say that I'm more of a "beater" kinda guy. She said "then why don't you do it the way you like it?" And then it clicked. This car will wind up being satin black with the white top and lace, and pinstriping on the hood and tailgate. and when i run across a set, the wheels will be swapped out for black steel wheels with poverty caps. Then when i look at it i can say "yeah, that's my style" :D besides, I'm not paying what i charge to paint a car, that's just absurd ;)

bchctybob, Stogy, thehazguy and 12 others like this.
  5. Sounds like you've found your ideal direction for this car..that's really what it's all about in the end.

6. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Post # 1294. And peer pressure from guys on the job . Dudes got a reputation to obtain .

loudbang likes this.
  7. I don't get it? What are you saying

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heya Lloyd, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I too changed my mind mid-stream. Some of just aren't meant to be "fancy pants".

Although my old Sedan Del. was a pretty nice car, the '36 Cabriolet has the potential to be a real super nice, high dollar hot rod. The initial plan was high gloss vineyard green and apple green wheels...A great plan, but that's not "me"! I just finished shooting it (and all the parts) in $35 per gal Valspar low gloss black...just like EVERY other fucking hot rod I ever built. Now THAT'S "me" And no waxing, no buffing, no shammies, just a bucket of soapy water and a hose.

I'm reassembling it now...here's a rendition of the finished product @themoose did for me over on the photoshop thread...that convinced me I didn't need no stinking shiny ass paint:cool: Untitled36.jpg

9. Lmao! Yeah when i get a car finished i can't relax until it's off my property, I worry to death it's gonna get scratched or something's going to happen to it. And i don't wanna feel that way about my own car.

doyoulikesleds likes this.
  10. Reading that post I thought Lloyd was gonna send it down the road!
    Poverty caps on steelies, that's cool. How about'flaking that big 'ol roof?

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I feel your pain. I had an O/T 70 big block elcamino with a show car black paint job on it
    I was so nervous about that damn car that I sold it. It was an honest drive it to the track and run 10's through the mufflers, but I couldn't stand the idea of doing a burn out and putting rubber all over the 1/4 's.
    Ironically I sold it to a guy from West Virginia who lived on top of a mountain on a gravel road.
    I asked where his trailer was when I delivered it. He told me if he couldn't drive it everywhere he didn't want it.
    So much for the show car paint job. He paid me to deliver the car and we unloaded it off my trailer and down the gravel road we went.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  12. thehazguy

thehazguy

Yup, I agree. You would not believe the pressure I get all the time. "When you going to paint it" and "what color is it going to be" I like driving it, racing it and if I get a scratch out comes my Rustoleum X2 flat black primer. WOW, scratch is gone. Drives folks crazy but like you said, "that's not me". Stick to your gut and the voice in your head.
    57 - 2020 (640x379).jpg

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Keep the Cragars! It needs just a little bling!

14. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

You obviously do great body /paint work. Don’t cut yourself short on your finished project you have worked so hard on. Don't rush your decision. Enjoy .

15. Oh it'll be flaked, not big flake. This stuff ;) Resized_20190420_190429_4257.jpeg

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I get it, im also a man who knows what he likes but Ive gotta say those Cragars would look real nice with that laced roof though. Kick ass car either way, been fun to watch.

Sent from my SM-A205U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran my old Sedan Deliv. in primer for years, and when I did finally paint it (Valspar low gloss black) people would still ask when was I going to paint it
    [​IMG]

One day I was talking to a buddy who commented that, after I'd been driving it for over 5 years, it was still in primer. He mistakenly asked "when are you going to paint it?"

My response was to make a loose fist in front of my zipper, making a jerking off motion, and I replied "prime this".

Well my wife saw all this and said "that's disgusting" and burst out laughing.

She said "I think you just named the car"

The rest is history.

18. unfinished

unfinished

I get those questions everytime I drive my avatar coupe. I have painted all my life, but this finish is absolutely no stress! I can't stand the thought of tearing it apart to paint it anyway!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  19. belairman_57

belairman_57

Hello. We are sorry you had a problem. This does happen on occasion. Just out of curiosity were you just installing new springs or were these springs that were already installed and failed? We see some that break if you don't install them properly. Just trying to get a handle on this situation. Thanks in advance.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That thing is sweet!

21. belairman_57

belairman_57

Hello. One of our customers sent us a note about your post. We just wanted to let you know we are the Largest Made in the USA Tri-Five Chevy parts supplier in the world. We go out of our way to make parts in Santa Ana, California at our manufacturing facility there because we feel the Made in the USA is very important to our hobby and our Industry. Thanks for being a Danchuk customer!!

22. I installed the springs per the instruction video on YouTube, showing to spread the spring and insert 3/8" flat washers to extend the spring. It worked and the springs went on fairly easy using that method. Closed the hood and the washers fell out as shown on the video. The next day i raised the hood and noted it was crooked. The spring was missing on the passenger side. Half of it was laying under the car and the other half was laying down in the wheelhouse. The fracture shows a rust line, as if it had a stress fracture prior to installation. But it's kinda hard to complain about the price. So here i am with one spring ;)

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

They do great work with those little hands

24. Chinesium steel.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a brand new set of hood springs PM me your address and I will send them to you.

26. Thanks brother ;) I'll send you a message

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @blowby. I built it out of a 4door sedan. Just recently traded it straight across to a fellow HAMBer down in Va. for my avatar...we're both happy with the trade:)

28. ...........well, except for all that Green.:D;)

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There wasn't THAT much green... 100_1677.JPG
    Oh, wait a minute, yeah there was;).

30. Let me ask you hip cat's a question. Transmission cooler lines. I had a good friend that was in the transmission business for years. JDB transmission's. He died of cancer a couple of years ago. But i was talking to him once about transmission coolers and he told me that he'd rather see the lines looped rather than ran to the radiator because that just heats your transmission fluid. Agree or disagree? Mine is looped at the moment, and i actually forgot about it. Took the car out today for its longest trip so far and caught myself worrying about it. Had no issues, but i don't know if i need to add a trans cooler....