Register now to get rid of these ads!

VDO electric oil pressure gauge problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kr00zr, Jul 24, 2020.

1. kr00zr

kr00zr

Not sure if this is the place to ask or not. I put a VDO electric oil pressure gauge in my 47 Olds about thirty years ago. I changed out for digital. Got tired of that and went back. When I first put the gauge back in it worked properly. Now the needle moves slightly when I turn on the key but that is all. Any suggestions on what is wrong? Possible bad ground or line plug where it hooks to the gauge. The mechanical gauge in the dash is still working. I am running 12 volts.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Sounds like a bad sender

3. Mimilan

Mimilan

A flicker of the needle, and then it doesn't move is the symptom of polarity being reversed.
    Switch the 12v power wire and the sender wire on the back of the gauge

I've seen this many times. It doesn't damage the gauge [they are a pair of simple electromagnets]

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had a problem with the VDO tach in my '39 p/u I called VDO tech support (after getting bad info from the dealer I bought the tach from) and VDO tech support got the issue resolved immediately. If it were me I'd give VDO a call. JMO.

5. fordflambe

fordflambe

I put VDO cockpit series in my 41 Sedan Delivery. The electric oil pressure worked for about two years then it began to drop to zero sometimes when out cruising. Replaced the sender, replaced the wire from sender to gauge. Finally gave up and replaced with mechanical VDO cockpit gauge.

I've had better luck with the $49.95 three gauge cluster from local parts house..........

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going through some old paper work and found the VDO tech support info.
    800-265-1818
    [email protected]