Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 170ci C4 Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kennedy Bush, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kennedy Bush

Kennedy Bush

1964 170ci currently has 3 speed mt wanting to convert to c4 auto. I searched the forums and can't seem to find this swap. Can anyone point me in the direction to a thread on this swap or give any advice on where to find parts. I have a C4 trans but can't find the bell, torque conv, flexplate, etc. to bolt to the 170.

Thanks in advance.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may have had the 2-speed Ford-o-matic with the 6 cylinder. I know the V8 model had a 3-speed auto and the 1st year for the C4. There is something different about them with the bellhousing bolt pattern.

3. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Check out Fordsix.com
    They can point you in the right direction.
    I do know that the 65 Mustangs and Falcons with the 6 came with the C4. You would need to get a bellhousing from one of those. I believe it was in the late 60's or early 70's when they went to the V8 style bellhousing. I would stick to 65-68 6 cylinders. The 170-200 used the same components. The 250 used the small block V8 bell.
    I am sure there is someone that would want your manual trans bell. They might even trade. Just got to look in the right places. Have you checked out the car parts for sale here and did a search?

4. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Don't forget to look up C3. More commonly found behind the pea shooter.

5. The later falcons and mavericks had the C3 automatics.