Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 ford pickup front spring arch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Am trying to figure the correct arch for my front springs. Am pretty sure the bottom and 2nd to bottom are in need of re arching , perhaps they all need a bit of re arching . Have looked around the net for some info but no luck . In comparing the front to back which I know are 2 different setups, the back maintain a consistent arch from eye to eye, whereas the front seem to flatten out or almost turn upward an inch or so from each eye. Drivers side sits a little lower than pass side.

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By your description, it sounds like the spring was lowered by bending the ends. A common practice BITD. But not the best idea. Do it right snd get a reversed eye spring from a reputable supplier like Posies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

irishsteve likes this.
  3. chucka

chucka

Did you check that the spring isn't the wrong one (too long) and has been hitting the perches, bending the ends?

4. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I hadn't thought about lowering, was more concerned with getting springs back to where they should be. If I go with a reversed eye spring what is the difference typically, 2 or so inches ride height? Thanks for response.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020

5. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

, not sure but they seem to sit pretty well in the perches, my thought was after 81 years they have sagged , trebil mentioned in his response the possibility that someone might have done this purposely which is highly possible, my thought is an older guy owned this truck for many years and from the condition of the truck , very little was done to alter anything but who knows. Now I am considering what trebil suggested with the reversed eye setup. Mainly was interested in getting truck back to level as possible and perhaps a but better ride if at all possible. thanks for response.

6. 42merc

42merc

It's a truck, it will ride like a truck.
    Pick ups, unlike passenger cars had a spring with less arch & more leaves.
    For more info go to the "Detroit Eaton Spring" website.

7. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Well, I am aware it is a truck and as far ride, that was not my concern when making this thread . Only mentioned ride in last post simply because surely If the springs are worn and digging into each other and swaging , a correct setup would improve both driving a ride somewhat regardless if its a truck or a roadster.