Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help!! Oakland Roadster Show 1970 Richard Howards Bay Area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bavarian_Tom, Mar 26, 2019.

1. bavarian_Tom

bavarian_Tom

Hey Guys. I am looking for Help.
    I am caretaker of an old Bay Area Roadster. Some may know the car from an other thread, started by 50bomb.
    The roadster is back on california roads now and i enjoy it, but of course i would love to find out more history on it. I'm doing everything i can but got stuck at the moment.
    By the Help of Ron Brooks, i am pretty sure the car belonged to Richard Howards in 1970 and was entered to Oakland Roadster Show the same year.
    Sadly i found out that he passed away last year in May, in Lower Lake CA. His wife and kids are still around, but i do not find any phone number that gets answered.
    Does or did anybody know him, or does anybody know the car? It was metalflake green with a lace paint when he entered it into the show in 1970. I found an article about him, that claims his work on cars was awarded and published in magazines in the 70s.

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php/news/community/obituaries/57588-richard-howard

I am sure the car has older history as well, but that could be a good start to find out more about it.
    My friends Olav and Sondre also are trying to help with search on Kustomrama, they did a nice story about it when we met in St Barbara.

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Thomas_Dannerbauer's_1929_Ford

Any Help would be appreciated.
    Either here or hit me up on social media, facebook or instagram as TomFranzi, my current phonenumber is 805 799 6171, but i am haveing trouble that it doesn't work most of the time...

Attached Files:

2. bavarian_Tom

bavarian_Tom

Here is a pictures of old paint that i found under the primer. The panel/lace theory should be true..

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

3. catdad49

catdad49

Saw this when it was for sale. It had the look of an earlier build and was begging for a caring person to bring her back to past glories. Sounds like that has happened, please share with us. Thanks, Carp.

lothiandon1940 and 51 mercules like this.
  4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Btt! Saw it in person. Cool car!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. bavarian_Tom

bavarian_Tom

Thanks guys. I bet some guys are still around that would remember the 70s, that's not too long ago, where are you guys, you're still young... ;-)

Catdad49 i will share more about the car and my journey once i have time to write it all down, it's a nice story how everything happend, it was on a trip to Sacramento and to meet Art Himsl while doing research on an other project of mine the Mike Lopez/ Ray lisea Roadster.
    I was pretty lucky the last couple years and wanna write it down and share with people, so that i don't forget the best time in my live.

I just hope anybody remembers the roadster or can get me in contact with someone who knows anything about it.

Thanks

Baumi, catdad49 and 51 mercules like this.
  6. Good luck on your search,hope some cali folks can help.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Now, that should be interesting!

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this has been up since Tuesday and we don't have color pictures and a complete history yet? the HAMB is slipping.

HEMI32, 51 mercules and Baumi like this.
  9. When I read the first sentence of your OP, I immediately thought of @R&C RON Brooks ... and then read further ... and saw that you already contacted him.

By any chance were you able to attend the Oakland Roadster Show Reunion Luncheon last month (March 3rd in Castro Valley)? These annual events are attended by dozens with a vast knowledge of GNRS history ... folks like Frank Livingston, Herb Martinez, Pete Paulson, James Handy, Rudy Perez, Andy & Sue Brizio, Roy Brizio, Carol Hollenbeck, Darryl (@hollenbeck32) Hollenbeck, Terri (@Born a HotRodGal) Brizio-Hollenbeck, @John D'Agostino , @R&C RON Brooks, , Rod (@RodP) Powell, Alex (@alex blanca) Blanca, etc.

Anyway ... I looked through my '70s archives ... and haven't found anything ... YET (i.e., I'll keep looking).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and 51 mercules like this.
  10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

When I talked to Tom in Ventura before TROG. He told me he had talked to Art Himsl.

11. Great to hear that a fellow HAMBer bought the Lopez/Lisea Roadster from @lucky_1974 ... and that it will someday be returned to its 1950's glory!

51 mercules likes this.
  12. bavarian_Tom

bavarian_Tom

Well, sitting over here at home in Bavaria and seeing no chance comeing up to get a flight to california, i feel pretty homesick...
    I guess it's time to bring this topic back to the top, someone must recognice the roadster or the guy who owned it...
    Someone really has to, or how Art Himsl would say, ...I'll be damned.... if no one does..

Attached Files:

13. Hit the full image button before you hit post. 20190925_004511.jpg

14. catdad49

catdad49

I Know I Like It!

15. sdluck

sdluck

Very Nice,good luck.