Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Tim your breather on the side of the cover is a filler and a breather or is it sealed and only for filling?...I'm thinking it is the IN vent for the PCV'd passenger side and also providing a fill point.

Secondly did you baffle the PCV connector and the Filler/Breather inside the cover...

I have a early 60s style manifold oil filler neck and breather cap on a later smallblock with similar unpcv'd covers and do have blowby that covers the engine and windshield slowly over driving and minimizing that would be nice of course...

I see you have a inlet in the carb to attach that PCV to as well...I don't as I'm running 94s and that is another detail that can be overcome...let us know how it performs...

Tim, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Basically... yes.

The moon breather is the only one I could find that has a top that comes off. It has a foam filter element that you can pull out and fill threw it.

I drilled a shit load of holes in the valve cover instead of cutting a hole in it. Half because I’d seen it done that way a lot half because it seems like some extra baffle with out really impeding fill rate. If it does make it take a while to fill the oil I could always open up the cover to one big hole

the passenger side fitting you see will run to the inline pcv - generic Chevy 60’s part but I said it was for a 66 corvette because thisnis obviously now a corvette motor lol

The fitting is a bolt I drilled all the way threw but the middle 1/4 or so has about half the diameter. Seemed like that would be enough baffle and @porknbeaner agreed so I figured I’d go with it.

bought some bigger hose to fit the larger side of the valve but it kinks when I put it on. I’m thinking I’ll use a hard line U of some sort.

Excited to see if it works better, the previous covers didn’t seal for shit and the grommet style baffle and pcv fit poorly and everything’s been very oily. I even tied a rag around it in hopes of sealing it up some at one point.

still half nervous the bolt heads for the breather are going to hit but I’ll know very quickly and it’s an easy fix if so.

ive been moving plug wires, shortening extra long hoses and in general tidying up things up while doing this. I can’t believe how much better it looks

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ok third times the charm! I think...or is it fourth...

connecting the pcv to the valve cover, the first try at rubber hose showed me that one end of the valve is bigger than the other.

second try with bigger hose and it kinked badly
    B02AFE7A-BB62-4660-A125-E12BD3DD1A6E.jpeg
    third try I hard lined it with the biggest I could find and it’s just... I’m sure it’d work but man it’s just to ugly

forth try!

I cut the flare off the big side of the valve and stuck the small hose on! Huzzah!
    A9E3776B-7569-40F3-93BD-E722C3EF0E7E.jpeg 65F28ED5-1F66-45E5-8F21-FE750CCC3C6C.jpeg
    it’s brand new hose because I cut my previously long enough hose to pieces trying all these different ideas and it wants to flatten out a little in the bend where the old hose did not but it’s not bent shut and maybe after some heat It will relax some. Either way you can hardly even see it at all which was the point so I’m happy with it

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Valve with the barb on the big side removed. I used my hardline cutter and smoothed it off with some sandpaper. Easy peasy 6712BCD9-0A89-45EC-BC45-8020C6A9C9BE.jpeg

Stogy, Thor1, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  5. n847

n847

Looks great Tim! Love the work to keep the top of the VC clean!

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Finally fired it up and after I pushed the choke in it was making noise. Kinda figured it would. Gonna either swap to button head Allen’s or just grind the heads on these way down. The bolts that hold the breather on are hitting the valve springs once they come alive. It looked close but didn’t really feel any interference when I sat them on so thought I might get lucky.

saw it coming, would have been more surprised if it worked. Because, you know. It’s an old car lol

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

E410C118-AEE8-4ECA-8E4C-4029C1E16D0C.jpeg Can’t drive it but it still looks cool haha

Stogy, slv63, brEad and 2 others like this.
  8. redzula

redzula

That pic is so awesome. Might be time to hang the hood from the garage wall and show off those pretty valve covers full time

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Naw even with the blower the hood stays

Stogy, Thor1 and Uribe like this.
  10. redzula

redzula

Dang blower on this one too? Better start calling you Timm McBoost

Stogy, brEad and Thor1 like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve always wanted to put a 4-71 with a single four barre and 3 b belts on it. Kind of a pipe dream but it does clear the hood and everything. Already got the right pulley on the crank

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Pulled the valve cover and all I could find was these teeny black nicks on both bolt heads. Both on the bottom it’s gotta be where they got hit.

the heads look pretty thin already so I pulled the lock washers off and put it back on. Hopefully have a chance to crank it over and listen tomorrow 122FFA70-06BA-4F72-9330-7D806C7FAA86.jpeg 96963FB8-CA9D-4DAC-9A18-A9A05D6B5027.jpeg

Thor1, redzula and Stogy like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got everything to finish up the windshield as well as new front shackles, bushings and sway bar bushings. 226E11E0-A60A-4217-8F64-6D0543717FFC.jpeg little bummed when I found that the new factory replacement shackles are about an inch shorter than the ones I made. No way I’m lifting this car a hair let alone an inch.

for some reason I thought the factory ones were longer than what I made so I was preparing for it to be slightly lower lol.

Looks like 1/4 plate steel so we’ll just cut some new ones out this winter.

oh and I snuck in some wood blocks and hardware in there for the A :)

brEad and Thor1 like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Seems like the bolt heads clear. No more knocking noise or vibration.

I can hear what sounds like maybe a little lifter noise but from the passenger side it sounds like the fan

guess we’ll see but so far so good. Need to swap in the new battery and put some gas in it and it’ll be back on the road

brEad and Thor1 like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Put the new battery in and found not only is it side terminal instead of top but the terminals are screw in lugs. Spent a week hitting parts stores trying to find some before I just ordered them online. Finally found time to get it together and drove to work today.

seems like everything on the valve covers is clearing as I don’t hear anything now and I can’t smell hot oil spraying out of the engine so I’m guessing they sealed up lol.

thinking I’ll get the new fasteners swapped into the drivers side door upholstery, do the kick panels and then the passenger side door next.

now that the doors latch nice I’ll probably call up my glass guy for another drivers side pain and a little glue on the back glass to get rid of a nagging leak after I get the upholstery s stuff sorted.

Ill get that far and see what I want to do next now that I have some parts to do the projects now.

Going to try to get a lot of seat time in this month. Been to long

chryslerfan55, brEad and Thor1 like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well that lasted about a week.

new battery had a bad cell and the power wire from the starter to the fuse panel ended up with a bad spot and left me stranded for the first time.

At work so not really but I felt dramatic lol.

It was a whole thing and end of the night, in the dark because the street lights are on a timer I guess, I cut the area the short was in out of the wire and twisted it together. Electrical tapped it and hauled ass home.

Exchanged for a fresh battery and then it basically sat. Stuff behind it, life in front of it. You know how it goes.

sisnt realize it had been 5 or so weeks of being parked til I saw the date on my Instagram post about it. Saw today that snow is in the next few days forecast, but with a high of 42 is was supposed to be dry today so I hopped in and headed to work.... in shorts because laundry day... 81A0B2DC-097A-4B06-B7B1-178CE872A0AC.jpeg never got over 150 so I sat in the parking lot at work until it was warm enough to at least crack open a thermostat. Few hours later it fired right up and got heat in it with out to much effort like always. Still cold though, I think if I’m going to drive it in the 30 deg range I should throw some cardboard in front of the rad for the trip to work.

car needs some attention this winter so I. Trying to get myself situated to wear I’m not obsessed with the A and can focus on the 46z doesn’t normaly snow here til February lately so this is an early kick in the pants to get my shit together I guess.

half the car is pissy because I havnt been driving it and the other half is pissy and worn out because I have been driving it for nearly ten years.

might be time to buy another set of jack stands and just pull the band aid and all the wheels off at once and just start into it.

im holding out hope for a couple more months of driving weather but it’s 2020 so who fuckin knows lol.

least it still looks good filthy with broke. Glass from a distance lol

Gotgas, Thor1, brEad and 2 others like this.
  17. Laughed at “least it still looks good filthy with broke. Glass from a distance”. Weird weather here this year for sure.

Thor1 and Tim like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it’s all of a sudden feeling much later in the year. Got me spooked a little, but was reminded tonight that it snowed on Halloween last year and we had plenty of good driving days after that.

Trying to use it as fuel to get the outside chores done so I can stay In The garage this winter and work on the never ending “thing to get done by spring” list.

would probably end sooner if I ever got any of them done lol

19. redzula

redzula

Thor1 and Tim like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well where are we? Had a voltage regulator seemingly go bad, replaced it and found a few questionable connections that may have been the real issue and fixed them while I was there. Threw the old regulator in the box for a possible back up.

Car runs fantastic but of course because it’s 2020 I pushed the car out of the garage today trying to avoid waking the kids and it swung wide and hit my garage. 54DED911-47CD-4580-987C-17C53496FF9F.jpeg 2ED064F5-7218-4151-8A0E-7968FD011CDE.jpeg Since my tolerance for shittyness is pretty high these days I figured it was something I could could actually do something about and not only that it involved hitting something with a hammer. FD82738F-1AD3-4329-B744-D13320C83651.jpeg grabbed my favorite dead blow hammer and two wacks and tap and other that the paint I’m back to square one.

Some polishing compound will take the house paint off then I’ll massage the metal a little better and spot it in.

Don’t love the match I have with the rattle can I used last time and there’s a bunch of rock chips to deal with so I’m thinking I’ll have some automotive paint mixed and put in a rattle can and I’ll just hit the whole section of fender.

we’ll see.

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Please be more careful with that vintage piece of history. Sorry for low key F... 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I’m pretty not stoked but I had decided a couple weeks ago that I was going to have a good day today.

I was going to drive the 46 to work, do a fun tattoo on a client I really enjoy seeing, she’s gonna bring me a bunch of locally made tortillas and I’m going to cruise down town after work and take some photos I’ve been thinking about taking for years.

and I did all those things.

car ran fantastic. Got most the dent out before I even left the driveway. Wasn’t going to let it ruin my good day. And I didn’t :)
    5E9961CF-74EF-45B5-9C0E-B818183FCCE2.jpeg D5D17648-C93E-4288-854D-907B7968FECF.jpeg 3A5A86D1-BB5F-473E-A5D0-1A6DFFC57EC9.jpeg 38F9AD8C-6068-41A7-96CC-237EB371EE22.jpeg 338A01C8-95EF-4D39-9C12-9FC68D4CE548.jpeg A426B98C-D811-4DD8-8305-EFD88A40ED57.jpeg 44A3EC48-A8F7-4892-913C-BA375767E57C.jpeg 7A6D7E08-812E-4E07-B0DD-F59AE96B4D95.jpeg

23. redzula

redzula

Not cool bro. Not cool. You're supposed to wait until your out of the garage before turning the wheel. Dur.

Cool pictures though.

Thor1 and Runnin shine like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I was parked way to the other side and turned the wheel so I wouldn’t hit the passenger front fender, swung fast on the polished concrete and there you have it.

Oh well, oddly more excited to work on the car now that I was before. Which makes about not since at all lol

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So far I’m 2 hammer blows and 40 ish minutes of using a t shirt and cutting compound to get the house paint off F4F9339B-D821-41D9-8498-4354CC7F487E.jpeg BDB635ED-A671-4C5B-8518-00BAFCA8371D.jpeg 73108EEF-5ED8-45E0-9F95-9F9663698CFF.jpeg I know a fair amount of that paint is going to get destroyed getting it the final little bit. There’s a bit of crown that’s missing but with the paint cleaned up I can see right where it is/ needs smacked D61619A2-3F26-4551-BCA1-16A85723C29B.jpeg

26. Ouch. Sounds like something I would do. :oops:

Thor1 and Tim like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@guthriesmith I was laughing this morning thinking all these threads about painting your car to look like it’s original paint are missing the most important step of accidentally running the car into things lol

28. No doubt! Needs a few battle scars to look original. :D

Thor1 and Tim like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

At Dad school this week kiddo learned how to spackle, sand and paint the garage where it got busted up.

How to work a dent out of metal and how to take care of your hammers and dollys.

then I’ve got maybe 8 minutes hammer time on the fender so far. This stuff is nice and thick with lots of memory. If you can be confident and put a good whack into it it won’t fight to much going back into place.

gonna sand the old paint and primer off to check it all and the we’ll learn about spotting in paint when it’s cold outside. 635AAA5A-1EE8-45F1-82A6-5B67DA83595D.jpeg 09FD7B3F-91E3-4CD2-B8B1-999C0EF075F4.jpeg F8156F87-5E0F-4F89-99DB-E38C4C4DB3A1.jpeg

Stogy, Jim Bouchard, brEad and 4 others like this.