Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Red flag?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Jul 27, 2020.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

I placed a couple of wanted adds within the last 24 hrs,and I had responce from a new hamb member (joined saturday)with email addresses of parties that have parts I'm looking for..it strikes me as , strange?red flag?

2. Sounds like the typical MO of a scammer to me. I would ignore them if I were you.

3. Can't be sure..but, I know that your instincts are to be trusted.

Joe Blow likes this.
  4. Classic. Don't go for it. There's a ton of threads on here about the exact same thing. Hit the report button immediately and they'll be banned before they can rip any of us off

5. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

That fits the profile of a scammer.

chopped and Joe Blow like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to report the new member so the mods can ban the scammer ASAP.

chopped, Joe Blow and Moriarity like this.
  7. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

People that know people that know people that know people that have parts......what a good samaritan to set you up with these people. I'd say a red flag the size of Texas.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  8. No doubt about it. HRP

[​IMG]

9. I do a lot of business with Stan the Ford man. His specialty is 1960-1969 full size Ford's. He's small and don't do internet but has a 40 year collection of stuff and about 100 car remains. If you don't know him or someone that does you can't find him. He's also a welth of knowledge on these Cars. When I see Wanted Galaxie trim, Galaxie seats, or just about anything I send the member listing the add his Ph #. I'm no Scammer but it sounds like I should Stop doing that. I thought I was helping.

10. Pist-n-Broke : Big difference, you have alot more than one post and are giving a phone # not an email address.

I think if he emails them the email he gets back will include an attachment or link supposedly to a photo, more info, etc. If he clicks on it he will end up with a nasty virus that probably gives them access to his computer.

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes please report these immediately so we can ban them before they get somebody else

VANDENPLAS, The37Kid and Joe Blow like this.
  12. Pist-n-Broke, sounds like a great gesture to me. As said earlier your post count would seem legit to most observers. If your guy has any interior 61 ranch wagon trim, I would like to discuss this further. :)

13. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

As stated.....HUGE difference with you being a long time established member here. What you do is greatly appreciated....this one's pretty shakey at best.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess we all use the HAMB classifieds differently, I remember back in 2006 when I joined I just assumed everyone established some type of HAMB reputation and the classifieds were a reward, not a free online listing service for people that can't contribute any helpful information to others.

Bob

15. Scammers will figure out a way to work around any safe guards, should there be a minimum of post before a person could use the classifieds or a time limit as to when they join, I don't know but posting right off the bat to try a sell some member that holy grail part they have been looking for is sometimes too much to refuse and the member send the money and later find out they have been screwed.

The classifieds are full of honest members but please look and see if the joined within the past few days that you have posted a wanted ad.

It's happened to me almost every time I post a wanted advertisement. HRP

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You've been a HAMBer since 2005. Surely you've seen dozens of scam posts here relating to brand new members answering want ads. Go with your gut.
    From the header in "parts for sale" section;

Hey guys, we continue to have issues with a scammer here in the classifieds. I recommend two things to keep your buying experience safe and free of fraud:

1. Do not pay for anything by money order or check. Stay safe and use PayPal. It's really the safest way to buy anything over the internet.

2. Do not buy or trust anyone with zero posts. Typically, about 90% of the fraudulent classifieds users we discover have zero posts and haunt the "wanted section" for their victims.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Thank's Guys, it's good to know I'm on the right page. I also dislike the people that are only here to Pimp there parts. wraymen

18. banditomerc

banditomerc

I turned in the turd to the powers that be..keep your eyes open guys,the vultures are circling...

chryslerfan55, The37Kid and Joe Blow like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If it walks like a duck..........................!

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  20. That flag ain't just red, it's fluorescent red with blinking L.E.D.'s.