Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Who are we to argue with a conversion chart!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

there are none so blind as those who will not see.the world is round by the way .trapping more small metal particles in the filter can only help.thats the name of the game !

3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nick, I don't know if you would be interested or what you have for clearance under your car, but I have an original filter canister that I would be willing to donate to the cause, if you would like to get rid of that leak-prone spin-on adapter. It would be easier to check for contaminants in the oil filter too. Seperate filter element and the sediment would be in the canister. Besides, it would complete the "Look". Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Jedd

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now that's an offer I would take up. ;)

5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! If I come across another one I'll send it your way Salty. :D Nick's got dibb's on this one. ;)

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I don't need one now, but my block has had the machine work done :) , it's just all the other bits needed to finish it up. :(

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahhh, the Devil is in the detail's... It's alway's the little stuff, like money... LOL!

8. Thank you so much for the offer! Know why I probably can't use this much better canister? It's not American Graffiti movie correct! Yes. That is too important to use something that will greatly improve the engine.

Hahahahaha.....

Also, I don't think it will fit due to the chrome unsplit wishbones. You were right about the clearance issues. The previous IS the usual reason I don't improve things on this car.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Kinda like I have foundation and now I need to build a house.

10. Oh yeah. Ridiculous. You should see the underside of the car. Just as questionable as the original! How about a parking brake cable held up by coat hangers and zip ties!

saltflats, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. Today was a great day! Rob and I got so much done. A full days work. We're now ready to start installing the carbs and linkage.

Thank you to all who have sent me personal messages of encouragement. I appreciate you more than you could ever know.
    IMG_20200722_144348.jpeg IMG_20200722_144359.jpeg IMG_20200722_144339.jpeg

12. Outstanding help from Dan today! We're getting the carbs and linkage added. It's almost time to start her up! IMG_20200724_165129.jpeg IMG_20200724_165115.jpeg IMG_20200724_172836.jpeg

13. I finally cut open the last oil filter used before the rebuild. It had been on the car during the entire time Dan and I have been working on the car. This would include multiple test drives and hours tuning.

The oil had a faint gasoline smell. Much better than before. I didn't see any major particles in the filter. There was possibly a very fine dust of metal there but almost impossible to see.

Looks like the Cam and Lifters were failing rather slowly. That certainly describes our increasingly difficult tuning problems. This was always in the back of my mind. Too bad we didn't check the lifters the previous two times we removed the intake manifold.

Rob said that he never would have imagined that a new, professionally built, engine was slowly eating itself. IMG_20200726_151634.jpeg IMG_20200726_152906.jpeg IMG_20200726_152911.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Hate to keep butting heads with you but I have really never experienced a cam and lifter slowly eating it's self, once it starts galling and miss aliening it starts to go pretty rapidly. After saying all that I have seen high mileage SBC 307 go flat but who knows when they start the process!

dan griffin and Nicholas Coe like this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like the filter did it's job.

loudbang, '51 Norm and Nicholas Coe like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man, I was really hoping that you weren't going to put those damned blockoff plates under the carbs.......

17. Your opinion is always welcome here. Let's hope all my good vibes pay off. I'm ready for some cruising around!

loudbang likes this.
  18. We were very happy!

loudbang likes this.
  19. I completely understand your thoughts. Always great to see your comments. Dan had made great improvements with the parts he had available. The car ran quite strongly before the failure.

(Not speaking for him here) He said that another cure would be to replace the bowls. That would require purchasing, refinishing, and replacing them with stock units. My funds are very limited this year. Especially after this recent top end failure. He has been great to try to modify my existing parts to get a different result.

Dan and Rob have been an absolute blessing. I'm so thankful that they have spent so many hours helping me with this adventure. Hopefully Dan's pick of a milder cam will also make a major difference. I'm ready for some fun. My wife and son are ready for a ride in my not so new car.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Today Dan and I got everything ready to break in the cam. Unfortunately we had two carburators leaking fuel. After adjusting the float levels and cleaning everything up we were out of time.

We did manage to test fire the car for a couple seconds and everything sounded good. Also no more fuel leaks! I love seeing those fuel line bubbles! IMG_20200726_203606.jpeg IMG_20200726_174349.jpeg IMG_20200726_165128.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  21. dan griffin

dan griffin

What is the advantage in being over carbureted?

Nicholas Coe and nunattax like this.
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

none unless your in OPEC

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It is an IR (individual runner) system so normal carb sizing ideas do not apply. Have you read the magazine articles on the subject that were printed back in the 60's? the people at man a fre designed the system around the rochester 2gc for a reason. They are only 285 cfm . I have one of these on my 61 corvette with a 350 and a 4 speed with 3.55 gears. My car has #50 jets and stock power valves, It runs great, is fast as hell and gets 17 mpg

24. Here's Dan and I breaking in the new cam and lifters. Comp Cams 260H with their lifters and break in oil plus Lucas Break In additive added as recommended by our machine shop friends.

We had a bit of difficulty getting it to fire this time. We stopped and solved the issue rather than keep cranking.

Our fuel pressure adjustment to 2.5 lbs required the carburators to be adjusted to match the decreased fuel flow. Our dash fuel pressure gauge is registering a much higher pressure. We will need to investigate this further. Possible issues with gauge, pressure regulator, or fuel pump.

Car ran perfectly for 20 minutes at variable RPMs around 2k. No overheating and no major leaks. Engine seems healthy. We let her cool down and after a brief tune I got to take a short test drive. More carburator adjustments are needed but she idles and responds very well.

A good day.

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

I hope your dash pressure gauge is not mechanical?

26. I believe it is a mechanical gauge. It's a 1962 Sun.

loudbang likes this.
  27. sunbeam

sunbeam

I kind of go with the NHRA rule no mechanical fuel pressure gauge in cockpit without an isolator. Having a line break and spraying fuel inside the cab is something I don't want to be around. Some guys mount them on the cowl.

28. That sounds like a much safer alternative. I definitely want to look at the fuel and gauge system. I know some improvements can be made without ruining the car's originality. Thank you!

loudbang likes this.
  29. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

No matter that a hand full of us think a little different about things on this build the help you are getting from Dan is priceless in this day and age. Pretty soon all the hands on guy's with any experience & knowledge will be gone and all that will be left is the info on the net!

30. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This statement is SOOOOOO true, that it's scary!!!

nunattax, Elcohaulic and Nicholas Coe like this.