Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Jimdillon,
    Thank you for the back round on the car! For some reason it just stood out to me. It appears to have a simple formula for going fast while keeping all the components of the corvette that I like!
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scott, he had a few lettering schemes on the car although I really liked when he had Go-Rilla on the front panel. Cars had more character then IMO.
    Go-Rilla2.jpg
    Here is another cool picture of him leaving.
    Vette Gorilla-3.jpg

3. alumslot

alumslot

I saw the car Friday night a blue top. Neat car for sure.

Jim

4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Great pics! Awesome! I love the one of the two cars leaving the line!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I had the 5 spokes off my '32 this weekend and I couldn't resist putting them next to my '61 to see how they looked. I like it. It's too bad the rear tires are too wide that they hit the springs and the fronts don't have the correct pattern or I could play musical wheels.
    Vette 5 spokes.jpg

RamJet2, chevy57dude, e1956v and 17 others like this.
  7. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

And they look awesome!!!

8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I’m sure I’ve posted this pic before but my buddy runs them on his race car. I’m sure there are other wheels out there but man I like 5 Spokes! (It’s car I ever went down the drag strip in!) [​IMG]

9. Deuces

Deuces

Get wheel spacers and longer studs.....

10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Pretty bold paint scheme on that 67.

Pat

12. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I had to wonder about that '67, how long ago the paint or any other mods
    had been done. It has Cragar S/S on the front and Rocket wheels in the
    rear. There's the six tail light treatment. The interior is cashed, it needs
    work and, of course, the paint. I don't find it objectionable.

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Quick I feel the same way. I'm not sure on it but I like the way you put it "not objectionable". It would certainly make for good conversation.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, quick85 and loudbang like this.
  14. elgringo71

elgringo71

15. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That's pretty close to what my '57 looked like the last time I saw it. I never managed to resurrect a picture of it after the "bedpan white" paint job was applied. I find it practically impossible to not "like" any first generation Vette but the '56/'57 remains my odds-on favorite. INL109#2 copy.jpg

32SEDAN, mkebaird, alfin32 and 13 others like this.
  16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Chuck is this your red corvette? Good looking car for sure. I have high hopes of getting a first generation corvette hopefully soon!!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Here you go Chuck. I’ve posted it before but here it is in its glory days. It’s owner Tom is on here every now an again but pretty much lurks the jr stocker thread.

IMG_3657.JPG

18. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That is a picture of the car. circa early 1968, freshly painted red. Three years later it competed during the NHRA Winternationals and I still have the I/S class trophy with the pit pass dangling from the side of the trophy cup on my shelf.

This is a picture of it at the AHRA Winternationals at Irwindale in 1966. '57 @ Irwindale copy.jpg
    In between those events it spent at least fourteen months in storage while I was in graduate school outside of California. This is a picture of my dad, uncle and I rolling it out of my mother-in-law's garage when I returned in September, 1969.

#3 Sept.1969.jpg

I owned the car for nine years and it spent a helluva lot more time on the track than on the street during that period.

c

19. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Chuck, thank you for sharing! Awesome pictures and story! The red paint job looks great in the old photo! I can only imagine how it looked in real life!

What engine combination was I/S for that year for NHRA and how fast did you run?

I wish Tom would chime in so I don’t have to do his dirty work for him but I believe him and his brother ran as an injected glide car. I believe the pic of the car running is from 71.
    When I went down the track in the car in the 90’s it had a 283hp 4 spd and 4.5’s. It ran 13.90 at LACR with small slicks. That same time at Palmdale would have been a lot faster here in Famoso!

Scott

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

21. loudbang

loudbang

Gotta love those old "Skinny" slicks LOL.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  22. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Chuck that looks like a scoop on the hood, did you run a different class in AHRA?

Pat

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Scott, the 1971 combination was 245 horsepower. I recall that it only ran in the high twelves but that was my first attempt at assembling an NHRA combination with stock valve springs so it tagged a couple of valves early that weekend. Fortunately, there was only one other car in I/S and, after all the thrills of teardown, getting everything bolted back together through Saturday night, and getting through the San Jose Hills from Rowland Heights to the track for the picture ceremonies through an incredibly dense fog bank on Sunday morning, I was happy that it produced any kind of positive outcome. Unbelievably, even the relatively few contingency awards received for winning class that day generated over a thousand 1971 dollars so the engine nearly paid for itself in one outing. I remember the Ordway car from that era but Marv Ripes had pretty much covered everyone in I/SA with his '57 during that era.

LB, those tires were Casler recaps on a much harder compound, early Goodyear racing carcass with very stiff sidewalls. They were not optimal by any means but they served the purpose at the time.

Pat, the AHRA rules of that era allowed an aftermarket hood scoop in Stock and Stock Sports classes. I had located an extra hood in a Corvette scrap yard, stripped all the fiberglass bracing from the bottom-side, and bolted on a scoop of unknown origin just for the sake of appearance. I seriously doubt that it added anything to performance although I spent quite a bit of time placing it farther forward on the hood in order to pick up more air from the leading edge of the nose of the car. You are correct, such scoops were clearly not accepted in NHRA Stock Eliminator.

c

25. elgringo71

elgringo71

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

27. enloe, loudbang, jackal396 and 3 others like this.
  28. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

enloe, quick85, j3harleys and 4 others like this.
  29. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definately a cool roadster! But what year is it, really? 64 hood, 65 gas lid, 67 gill's and grille, and no center back-up light, probably not a 67, unless it was filled. Curious...:confused:

enloe, quick85, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  30. Only the VIN tag knows what year it is:cool: I'd drive the wheels off of it after the sides where painted red:D

enloe, quick85, loudbang and 4 others like this.