Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi disaster. School me...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Jul 18, 2020.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Ok so what’s the best way to prepare for firing up once it’s back together. Spin the oil pump with a drill and then install the intermediate shaft and distributor and wind it over with the plugs out or use some kind of pre oiler gizmo?

2. George

George

Best is 2 guys, one turning the crankbolt slowly, the other running the drill motor. There will be two points where you'll hear a change in the drill motor. That's where the two points are that oil one rocker set, and then the other. Drop in the int. shaft a couple a four times till it's right, drop in the dizzy & crank it up. Less you turn it the more lube stays on the cam for the fire up.

3. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Thanks George that's exacly what we were doing last time before we broke stuff. Hopefully better luck this time.

4. Andy

Andy

I used a pressure tank when getting my flathead ready to fire. It was just a piece of PVC pipe wth a screw off cap on one end and a cap on the other. A flex hose ran to the oil pressure port. I used a blow gun to pressure the pipe and I rotated the engine. This is by far easier than pulling the distributor and the gear.
    The intermediate gear is a pita. You have to get it rotated so the distributor is positioned right. It may be easier to pull the pan, get the intermediate gear situated with the distributor and then install the oil pump.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Joel W likes this.
  5. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Ok so the plug problem has been rectified, new cam and intermediate shaft installed.While it was on the stand made up a couple hooks as shown earlier by Marty Strode, they worked
    a treat , thanks Marty.Took the gear in and out a few times no problems. Engine back in the car and filled with oil, turned over a few times to set push rod length. Now want to remove the intermediate shaft again and spin the oil pump but the gear doesn’t seem to want to come out.

6. George

George

Sometimes they're a bit resistant.

7. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Whoohoo. It’s all together and back in. Primed oil pump and it fired up straight away, never seen an engine start so quickly. After about ten minutes of breaking in the cam in we noticed the water temp had gone up , the fans cut in at 185 but the temp was still rising got up around 220 so we shut it down.
    I set the static timing to 12 degrees btdc. Will check thermostat is opening etc. Any recommendations for the static timing .