Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 ford pickup door lock options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by evilchevy, Jul 25, 2020.

1. evilchevy

evilchevy

Hi,
    I have a 1932 pickup ford with original door levers and system.
    what is the best way to convert the driver door opening system to be lockable and can be open from outside.
    only the passenger door have a lock and can be open from outside.
    thanx

2. Ford didn't offer that option, the only way I can think of is to find another passenger side latch and modify it along with the drivers side latch to accommodate the locking mechanism part. HRP

3. I once had a Model A that had one of these for door locks.....:eek:
    OIP.5_tQNrUq205k5UFQWWVLLQHaHa.jpg

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

You could do a locking handle. All though I did a quick search and didn’t see locking pickup handles, just car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. alchemy

alchemy

Most of the big C stampings of the left latches had the spot where the lock cylinder would go. Even the holes in the stamping are there. But I think the cylinders and their cams and stuff are side specific, so you'd need to find a lefty cylinder to swap onto your latch.

I recently found a perfect left 32 latch that has a 5-window length handle arm, and a lock cylinder on it. I'm going to use it on a 5-window, but I'm sure it was originally made for something else. Maybe it's a right side fordor rear?

6. I put car handles on my 34 truck because I like the look of them better and they both come with locks.
    Captureme.JPG

HotRod33 and Mat Thrasher like this.
  7. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

put a remote power window mech on the drivers side and reach in and lift up the handle

8. I second the 34 handles. Locks on both sides then.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I believe United Pacific offers a left side PU latch with a locking mechanism?

10. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Correct I had a set of crapped out originals that I was going to rebuild for my pickup but in the end purchased a set of the new United Pacific ones. They were a good fit and option for me.

11. evilchevy

evilchevy

thanks for the reply, will check with United Pacific and look at 34 handle option, but I think I looked at this and didnt like the "curvy" look of them.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just fitting a United pacific lock at present. Zero instructions. I does have a guide to put a pin punch in the door skin. I doesn’t tell you how to get a punch in there to make the mark. Also it gives no specifics on how to locate and drill a hole in the door edge for the access to the barrel grub screw.

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My fault for not checking first. I did not even realise the passenger door had a recess for the lock , DUH... the UP fit is disgusting on the reveal. It can really only go one place as they give you a mandrel and pin punch to fit in the new lock to mark the door for the lock hole . Yes the new hole was pretty much spot on the new lock receiver inside the door. If UP had simply mover the receiver up some the fit wouldn’t be so ugly. As this 32 is worn and aged I am not so stressed ,but had it been nice and shined my feelings would be different . So what have I done wrong.....Again>>
    984E477F-21CD-462B-A246-4E498692C105.jpeg AD04BF01-E341-45D3-B22F-A422966968E5.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  14. alchemy

alchemy

Do the repro UP doors have the lock hole already pressed into the left side door? Maybe that's why they sell the left latches with the lock. They assume a guy would only use them in their UP doors.

15. Jeff34

Jeff34

Are you good with metal work? You could create the same recess on the drivers door to make it match.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. chopped

chopped

Trim a piece of PVC pipe to fit, paint to match.