Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Moonburst: Lost & Found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I don't know much about those cars, but a blind man could tell it wasn't a "Woody". Thanks for clearing up the Gilmore part of it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

And Eddie Miller tin work not Hanna. I'd like to have it though. Lol.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Race 003.jpg
    I didn't mean it like you said anything like the. I was with Clayton when we ran with Romine, First AA/FD to run in the 5's. I believe we may have talked blown alcohol sbc a few time in CA. Did you run a dragster with a blown sbc?

4. coupeute

coupeute

I watched the video and when I saw the back of the frame, I thought to myself, when did Woody change the rear "up tubes " to a single tube then reading the comments, Dereracecar explained that the chassis was built by Foy Gilmore in Florida. Being a professional dragster builder in the 60s and 70s and a Southern Californian competitor to Woody's Race Car Engineering, we all knew the different characteristics of each other's digger chassis designs.

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Ive got a thick skin--- no offense taken

Rosenburg-leave.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and JC Sparks like this.
  6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

When I first saw the video/pic my first thought was Frank Huzar (RCS) Ive restored a number of those and a lot of similarities between the two

7. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Yes I recall your car. That would have been 96 when we ran the Good Guys deal.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Point well taken, Joey. Thanks, I have a couple of hundred more AA/FD snapshots left in my archive.

9. coupeute

coupeute

I was the " Old Man's " chassis builder. They called me " Race Car Jim " ( Race Car Specialties ). I'd like to touch base with you and discuss some of the RCS cars that you have restored. All the RCS chassis from the late 60s to early 70s were my design. My phone number is (949) 510 6402 I have some snap shots of stuff dating back to those old days.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and stanlow69 like this.
  10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

along with Rootbeer (RIP) and Walt Stevens
    I did the Poachers, Bivins an Fisher, and 2 other non descriped chassis for customers. Two of those happen to be "leg under" design

loudbang likes this.
  11. coupeute

coupeute

I'm sorry to hear about Rootbeer. Walt drove the "Outcast AA/FD" car which was owned by Vaughn Raviot who taught me how to build "pipe" and I pit crewed for him. Walt also drove my good friend, Charlie Steven's (RIP) "Gas Company AA/GD ". As Jimmy Hume, (H&H RaceCraft) would say, " We had a lot of good grins in those days" !

loudbang and KKrod like this.
  12. aircap

aircap

For all the trash talk, I'd say it's cool that something like this survives with all those parts, too boot. I don't care that it wasn't famous or didn't set any records. It might be a small piece of drag history, but that's part of the story, too. I dig it.

egads, loudbang and stanlow69 like this.
  13. hotdamn

hotdamn

So @sinticket and I are on our way back from the Detroit Autorama and just passed the Moonburst II in Virginia!!
    Any one have pics of this Moonburst? or do you know if the owner is on the HAMB?

IMG_6247.jpeg

61cad likes this.
  14. Skydvrbob

Skydvrbob

It's not the moonburst. It's a Foy Gillmore car that I bought. Just bringing it home to NC. The previous owner was a Moonburst fan,

lurker mick and The37Kid like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! Photos would be nice to see. Bob

16. hotdamn

hotdamn

hope to see it round sometime!!!