Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Great find. :)

enloe likes this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Over head switch panel. With quick connect plugs for mag starter water pump lights etc. windows will be constant hot. They have there wiring harness.

Attached Files:

3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Looking at changing directions with the Prefect. The original plan was to keep it as going and Buy the Thames of a H.A.M.B. Board member. Always wanted one. The Prefect is basically a 4 door variation. The plan was to do both but the opportunity for the last child to finish college early/ with no debt came and I did what most practical people do. Put family over my wants.
    Add to the list that I just came out from under the knife yesterday I have had some thinking time.(I am shall we say going to be slow and cautious for a while. Apparently I didn’t Learn a damn thing from 20 years ago.)
    Having had the prefect apart the chassis Mick and I built will work superbly. It has been fitted with glass cap and floor plan is perfected. Very small minimal changes (Relative at this point) considering all factors. No structural changes other than wheels wells and hanging rear doors. The prefect and Thames doors are the same dimension other than the belt line. And I added that just because I like it.
    I propose to cut just behind rear door pillar and graft a Thames body on. Biggest question ? Has anyone used Superior Glass. They list that very section for a Thames. Even an entire Thames for that matter. I can’t build or buy the rear section for that price 2500$ us. and I am shall we say accustom to slicing and dicing. Has anyone used them before. I would gladly buy a steel rear section/body only if someone had one but they are scarce. Again if it’s within an inch no sweat.

Attached Files:

enloe and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Well shit don't leave us hanging you OK now? Between you and Mick and Bill a bunch of hospital time.

enloe likes this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Lets just say that my belly button disappeared They used a robot on me. Feels like I got drug by a log skidder with a grapel through a mud hole. This is supposed to be less evasive.:cool::p. I had a double stacked inguinal several inches long - 6- in 2000. I also have had many wrecks etc/etc between race tracks and farming/ and youth. . -just finally caught up. I am not a big person but Dr says we are like Super Man waist up- stronger than allowed by law- But no ass or legs to support it- somethings gonna give.I'll admit the second day is the worst/ or worse . I am hopping this is quicker than the last time. Back home now and I have some time and been thinking about the Prefect. Wont be able to pick up much for a while -but that's ok wiring and rear brakes are all that's left on Willys.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Dog_Patch, AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. In he shop today. Yep. You know it all ready. Finished the overhead wiring harness. Full length so I can run it to the relay panels for everything. The windows/ tach /mag pickup Will be on a separate circuit s with relay all on open vertical panels. Always always build wire and plumb so it can be worked on Because as a race car you are going too. Mick is a stickler in such things. And it is good that he is. I tend to over complicate things at times.
    Also have some up coming wonderful news that I will let loose soon but can’t yet. Godspeed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  7. loudbang

loudbang

You have you nose to the grindstone it's only Wednesday and we are getting the usual Sunday update. :rolleyes:

enloe likes this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep. They won’t let me drive they won’t let me pick up more than 10 lbs. Mrs is driving me around and I am trying to be good. I am gonna try for two days this week. Can’t complain really. I am sore but I feel as good as a game rooster. I am going to start strengthening as soon as Dr let’s me. Gonna get back down to 165. Already to 178. Give room in fire suite and lighter driver is less weight. What’s the old rule of thumb. 100lbs is a tenth of a second. As soon as I am allowed I got some great news. Things just gotta settle in. Got to admit any shop time is good. ;):cool:

9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

That’s a good looking Willy’s. Clean and simple.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Started running the panel harness to relays panel. Not nearly as simple as it sounds. I am using harness clips for the cage. I want them neat but not inclosed so much that trouble shooting problem solving becomes an issue.

Attached Files:

enloe, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  11. I thought Superior Glass lost everything in the fire and was not producing parts ???
    With that said they did have excellent parts, all 4 of my fenders are from them and the fit and finish were great.

12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Its actually ShowCars _ my bad . And they are in Canada.

13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Wasn’t in the shop today but was a wonderful day none the less. Got to go into the hospital and spend the day from 8-3 with Bill. He hasn’t been home since May 28. Haven’t laid eyes on him since that day either. Was a blessing. I thought I was helping him. He helped me clear my vision his spirit is good and he is still thinking in the future. Gotta love him.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    enloe, swade41 and Dog_Patch like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

That is a good day indeed. Must be terrible for patients not to be able to have visitors.

enloe likes this.
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

He’s dropped 59lbs. Says he hasn’t been that weight since JR year in high school. His pt gets ramped up real quick. His thought process is to the future and is clear. I am humbled. Only way I know to say it.

16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok anyone know of a blue print with measurements for the1/4 ton 48-53 Thames panel. I’ve been thinking. We have an English wheel/bead roller /and a brake. I made a grill. Metal is metal.

17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

As in factory body panels and measurements

18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got headlight harness ready for the relays. Even tested them. Sure as the word turns they came on. Mounted them so as to hide as much as possible. Some days the little things impress me the most.

Attached Files:

scott27 likes this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Slick :)

enloe likes this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

More relays. Finished headlight circuit and relays. Will be neat and tidy /mounted to the aluminum panel. Making sure all factors are being considered as I go.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Heck it's turning out so good when racing season is over you could put it in some car shows. :rolleyes:

enloe likes this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Lol . Mick made a reference yesterday that if I keep on we will have a race car that someone else would actually want. But I 've never been at a place in my life where I could actually build what we wanted with in reason. I was usually running everyone else's cast off junk and proud as a game rooster to get it. The Prefect will be a more straight forward approach to finish. ( yep Mick started laughing when i said that also)- Bill is worse than me.
    I remember running stock rods with stock bolts( even on blown engine - one with cast pistons- decked on a grinder ( as in bench) all we had and out of money). stock shortened axles.stock head/ main bolts / Welded up 56 chevy rearend.- I even got away with a dang near stock glide other than the 45 $ rebuild kit / home made manual valve body and a worked vega converter. Paint and body - lol we wont even go there.We were not the fastest , but we could compete. It still amazes me what we could do when we didn't know any better.I am really amazed at just how much abuse a SJ 283/327 rod will take. Sometimes I still actually miss those days- kinda.

23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

One more set of relays for water pump /cooling.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Checked relays for both headlight and water pump. Stream lined and condensed the circuits for tach pick up and tail lights.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

Looks great.

A word of warning about cable ties yesterday was cleaning around my computer monitor and yeeoooowww felt like I had been stung by a wasp or something. Bleeding like a stuck pig between my fingernail and the skin around it. Looked close with a flashlight and found when I snipped off the tail end of the tie I must have had the sidecutters at an angle and it left a little stub with like a 45 degree angle sticking out and it was pointed and VERY SHARP. Went around all of the rest of them with a lighter a few second heat up and then squash the end flat cures those pointed parts.

enloe likes this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Good tip. Thanks for the heads up.
    Look what followed me home today. Sold the goofy Holley tunnel ram and couldn’t resist never had one of these. Have seen them from back in the day but never had one or saw one run. It’s in excellent shape . Even got the pivot linkage.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    enloe, 427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got more done and cleaned up a few more circuits. Leaves the tail lights. Line lock and the ground and lead to mag.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Window switches and harnesses mounted. Day Gig starts Monday.

Attached Files:

29. loudbang

loudbang

Great for rolling down the windows after a pass in hot weather. :)