Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 265 Chrysler Flathead 6 Diagnostic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What Chryco of Canada book and it doesn't mention Fargo?!!! LOL

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

To tell you the truth, I was really surprised the other cylinders' compression numbers were as high as they were! Probably the only reason they were so high was because the rings were not stuck on the pistons. I suspect when you get it tore down, you will find pretty big ring gaps on those other cylinders as well.

I've torn down many old Mopar motors and found huge ring gaps. It was not unusual to find .080 or even .100 ring gaps on high mile motors, even into the performance era. It was surprising how well some of them ran with such big gaps at the ends of the rings. Many got a hone job, and new rings, bearings, and gaskets (and new timing chains on the more modern V8s) and they lived on many miles afterwards. Gene

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I am hoping I can avoid a bore job but tyme will tell.
    I suspect my 228 in the truck now has worn rings.
    It has compression of 100-110 but has a lot of cyl leakage on leakdown test.
    But it doesn't use oil less than a 1/2 a quart in 1000 miles.
    But its so damn doggie at times.
    Last week had it out, with brisk tailwind up to 80 mph, against wind hard to get to 65 mph.
    Yesterday me the boy out for a cruise heading into a wicked 30 to 35 mph wind had a hell of a tyme getting to 60/65 mph on highway.
    That tells me the little 228 is weak.
    And it has dual carbs and exhaust.
    I wouldn't even worry about swapping engines but a healthy 265 has a lot more grunt than a 228 Im hoping.

Attached Files:

4. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Gene used a stack of feeler gauges but hard to determine exactly how much taper. Im gonna say .005 to .010 in that area. Which is well with Chrysler specs for this engine.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Sounds good. Hone it out, replace all the rings, replace the beaings, and put it back together with new gaskets and it will give you good service for a long time. Gene

osage orange likes this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you are trying to use ring gap to determine cylinder taper place rings at the bottom below ring travel and measure gap then at the top of ring travel .005 taper will = .015 more gap. Your motor may have been put together with standard rings. .040 over bore would add about .100 to a standard ring gap

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    osage orange likes this.
  7. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

thanx Gene, yah a freshen up is not so cheap these days...LOL about a grand for me, rings, bearings gasket set and a few other things, That does not include any valve work or a new timing chain

yup gotcha, its been overbored once to .040 pistons with more modern 3 ring pistons... but the rings in cyl 6 are worn the hell down. Have not opened the rest yet, sure they will be the same...

8. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Minor Update

So had old Fargo out today, driving into a 30 to 40 mph cold headwind. The anemic 228 was a real friggin dog until over 50 mph and took a lot to get up to 60-65....lol
    The 228 is a real geriatric against the wind...lol
    265 freshened up I sure do hope is much better
    My cousin has a 361 and 727 outta of a 62 Chrysler I could buy....hmmmm
    Any of you young fellas have any stories on swappin in a 251 or 265 to replace tired 218s or 230s?
    Sorry guys if this thread drags on, but will see it through or end it, but cant stand the multitude of threads with no conclusion....regards PS still like a teenager on " peanut butter sandwich " budget Mr Beaner understands...hehehe

9. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

any further update? Im looking at almost the exact same rust situation. not sure how to proceed.

6inarow likes this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

Are you talking about rust on the cylinder walls, or on other parts? If the rust is on the cylinder walls, are there rust pits you can see or feel with a finger nail? Gene

11. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yah heres the update. An updated 318 instead. I shoulda done this years ago.

Attached Files:

12. 6inarow

6inarow

that sucks. the 6 was cool

13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

According to you Im gathering...lol
    Its night and day difference, it made my Fargo a Hotrod from a lame farm truck...lol
    I do not miss a flathead 6 in the least.
    Very very happy with V8 power...

ottoman and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  14. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

doesnt matter anymore. its at machine shop and new pistons are in the mail.

Looking for a rear sump pan though.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a simple question; I'm not a Mopar 6 guy at all, but the "big" sixes (251, 265) always intrigued me. There was a mention on using a 218 head. Will it even fit? I thought the 218 was a 23" engine while the 265 was a 25".

6inarow likes this.
  16. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yes and no, let me explain. The Canadian built Chrysler flathead 6s were all 25 inch engines in 201, 218, 228, 237, 251 and 265.
    So yes they fit and have smaller combustion chambers.
    The USA built 23 inch engines are 201,217 and 230. None of these heads will fit, but aftermarket speed parts are more readily available for these engines. Downside they have offset rods.

17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, that explains it, eh?:)

18. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

You will need a rear sump pick up as well. Not hard to find. PM Classiccarjack from.the San Diego area he should have it 4 U.

19. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup and being your state borders me in Manitoba plenty of these if you need...

20. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Also a qualifier, although I pulled a 228 with dual carbs and exhaust in my 55Fargo for a 318/904 I have no regrets.
    I still love Chrysler flathead 6s they are a fantastic piece of automotive engineering.
    With a 3.23 sure grip diff she moves out very nice for a stock 2bbl 318. No she is no Steve Dulcich muscle truck.
    The 228 is a bit tired and weak compared to 318.
    The 318 is good and torky, pulls very hard in 2000 to 3000 rpm band.
    I also have another 265 on shop floor too.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, that sounds tempting, but I think I already have too many different types of old engines I am "specializing" in.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020