Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any machinists that could make a fitting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jul 24, 2020.

1. I’m desperate to find a Extension fitting I can bolt into my C4. The thread pitch going into the case is 1/8 -27 NPS I need something about 1-2 “ long I can than thread a 5/16 inverted flare line too...
    Basically something like this with 1/8 -27 NPS going into the case, I’d use the jam nut and o ring on the case side. I’d than need to screw fitting into that , so female NPT thread pitch would be the best, and than a 90 in order to hook up a cooler line..basically I need an extension off the case to screw something into to let me bolt up a hard line or barb fitting to run trans line to cooler
    34E6E55E-EEC5-4DD5-8FE8-515CF61DC724.jpeg

This fitting is too short and if I had a female NPT I could easily find a 90 5/16 inverted flair fitting to bolt a cooler line to..

8399AC3D-D90E-4791-9BD3-A27CE0E0EF99.jpeg
    no clue if this is possible..I’d have to think there’s a market for this fitting if you have a C4 trans

2. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

I could do it, but I’m a little unclear on the male section. Is the trans case straight thread? Is the o ring normally used, or is this an idea you have? Generally, an o ring seals radially in a receiver groove in a bore, and a smooth (no thread) area on the fitting. Or, an o ring will seal axially on a spot faced surface on the case, and sit in a groove in the fitting.

joel and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

7/16 bolt the appropriate length , center drll 1/4 " , braze or silver solder inverted flare fitting , use banjo type seal washers in & out nut inside ,have to open the case hole for the bolt. Cooler lines aren't under much pressure .

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    RmK57 and rusty valley like this.
  4. Yes , the Stock fitting that goes Into the trans looks this:
    225DF578-2594-4FE2-AB26-87720A0D14AC.jpeg
    If the threaded section was 2” long it would be great. I need something to clear the servo cover. I would pop the o ring and jamb nut off and use that against the case...the female end would be best with npt thread, I’m sure I could find a 90 to screw into that with a 5/16 inverted flair to screw a metal line into

link to stock fitting
    https://www.cjponyparts.com/cooler-...MIiKK28ebl6gIV0MDACh3XzAWkEAQYASABEgKnoPD_BwE

5. Have you gone down to a large auto parts store, or a facility that repairs hydraulic hoses? The counter men normally have a large selection of fittings available, and they have sometimes found a better solution than I could have hoped for.
    Some catalog links:
    https://www.parker.com/Literature/F...ectors Group Static Files/G-BrassFittings.pdf

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1015.pdf
    These catalogues would be handy to keep for future reference.

As to whether that part could be machined, it would be an easy job to make that fitting. If I was doing it, I would use a piece of brass stock and machine it to include the two parts from the right side. The 45 degree fitting would thread in to the left side of the adapter. It is a no brain job for any machinist.

Bob

Cosmo49 likes this.
  6. I’m trying to do this with the trans in the car... and the c4 is pretty thin there..they’ve been known to crack when folks jam a NPT fitting in that hole

7. I’m not kidding I wasted 1/2 tank of gas in a Ford Edge going to 4 Parker stores, 4 trans shops, and a transmission parts supplier...all I came up with was “ it gets this 90”..and all Parker said was..that’s a bastard thread pitch and we don’t do automotive. Went to the best independent auto parts store and they were kind of helpful..but no fittings

8. Another way to fix that issue, would be to add a second adapter to the one on the right, and if clearance is an issue, just grind off the hex on the second adapter.

Sorry to learn that, but I know that I have been on those frustrating kinds of search. I edited my post to include two links to companies that supply brass fittings, and maybe there is something you can order.
    I Iive too far away, but it would be an easy job to machine a fitting to do that job.
    Bob

9. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Can't you just screw a 1" npt nipple into the nps fitting and put a coupling on it to screw the 90 into?

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Call Dave at Sweet Performance Products. He makes a LOT of hard to find fittings, he may have them.

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

i googled it, nps, and npt same pitch, same thread count, just nps is straight, not tapered pipe.

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

while i have machines, i dont claim to be a machinist. to me, the straight thread into the case can be made in the lathe, or with a die. but the tapered pipe for a 90 to thread in would be something i would make with a pipe tap, then braze or tig on to your 2" nps into the case

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You need to go to a supplier that will work with you. You may have to think out of the box a little. Like go with the straight thread to jic, very common adapter. Then use a female jic swivel and 1 /4 pipe female then get a male pipe elbow to inverted flare!
    That should get your lenth. Some times you have to use a combo of adapters.

Bones

alanp561 likes this.
  15. 1D8644CD-3F31-4751-8D71-07723F94FC0E.jpeg

16. BTW I would pay for this..not looking for any give away

17. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

This is the one I used in the front - the 5/16 hardline then screwed into it - looks like the commonly availale npt adapter, but straight threads with an o ring instead $_1.jpeg

18. If I could find that fitting but longer with the STP thread pitch I need my life would be good. If I could get past the servo I’d be golden and could run my hard line right in there.

19. This gives you an idea of what I’m dealing with..I’d like to come out past that servo cover and put a 90 on it and bolt my hard line up. E5DC8E88-3D0C-4FA3-9FCF-F5EB9C801F55.jpeg

20. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Love I have been trying to follow this but without being there it's tough. All I wanted to say is to be careful with what thread you put in there because I cracked a perfectly good 400TH case by threading in a pipe fitting in the cooler line hole. Now I see that there are two types of pipe thread NPT and NPS, I didn't know that. You seem to be aware of that situation so I really have nothing to add but Good Luck and thanks for the lesson.

Pat

21. indyjps

indyjps

If I understand, the specialty fitting, fitting combo youre trying to find is to take the place of the 90 that is commonly used, to space it out past the servo, to hook up your trans line. Everything is in the car.

1)Would the common fitting with a short trans line that extends down past the servo for easy hookup solve the issue

2) would a longer or very accurately bent trans line that routes to the common fitting solve the issue.

Just throwing options out. I made "jumper" cooler lines in the past about 8", hooked to the trans and routed very close to the trans. Allowed the cooler lines to be hooked up in the open below the tunnel. The trans had to come out to make and install them, very tight tunnel, no way to align and install then otherwise.

If you have room to remove and install the fitting, you may have room to make the short jumper line and get it to snake around the servo and into the open to your existing line.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

^^^ this is what I was thinking.

indyjps and continentaljohn like this.
  23. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Tiki, there is a Pirtek store on Van Born. They made me a custom p/s line. They might have something.

24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've brazed together fittings that didn't fit each other, to make my own adapters.

mario711, Hnstray, ekimneirbo and 4 others like this.
  25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Interesting fitting your looking for and I can machine one but maybe a stock part out there. I will look at my bin of brass fittings . I believe Aeroquip make the fitting you need. We used one on a 31 roadster with a 32 frame and 40 x. Member . We had no room for a straight fitting and used the aeroquip fitting, now that would be one piece and sharp 90 degree tube on it

26. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

As far as making an adapter from parts - since the thread pitch is the same npt and nps, I believe they will thread into each other. Just won't seal as nps to nps, that can be solved with some jb weld on the threads prior to assembly or even brazing the joint as mentioned above. Might seem a little hokey but it might open up some options for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

28. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Im thinking there is no need for 2” of threaded material. If the thread/ oring surface is duplicated as needed, there would be no need for a jam-nut. In other words, the hex could be 2” long with male nps on one side, and female npt on the opposite. This would be very easy. I could make you that part for say $20.00 labor.
    PM me if you feel this would work for you.

29. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Any Parker store can solve your problem.

You need an adapter fitting that has - 4 NPTS ( commonly called " O ring boss" )

The other option is a bit more home brew...

Take the fitting that has 1/8" pipe (tapered thread) and turn the die around and run it all the way on...
    Instant straight thread...
    Find a suitable copper washer.
    Problem solved..

Dave

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 likes this.