Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Going the extra mile for a period correct build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, why is it that you can not refrain from posting on things you care nothing about? You tend to follow people around posting in stuff that you want to bitch about. You hate custom cars, but you post on every custom thread.

I was joking, but you can stop posting on my threads and stfu.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Not an idiot, but a hero.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could you paint the compressor black and mount it down low like you see a lot of alternators? I think it could vanish pretty easy that way.

I find a lot of time when someone adds some obvious cloth wire, and a factory type sticker and fancied up the bracket. Really dressed up the part that isn’t “correct” it just makes me look at it immediately.

semi gloss black, down low, cover the wires with black asphalt looming. Done deal

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks for those posting constructive content. This wasn’t supposed to be a heavy, serious thread. Some people sit at home and think all day about how they can be a dick on the HAMB.

5. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

This made me laugh!

6. Reidy

Reidy

Not sure what you are building or how much space you have to play with. In Australia, I will assume it is similar in the states, there are thousands of trucks with battery operated air compressors for the sleeper cab. It may be possible to hid the electric compressor out of sight somewhere.

Steve

Roothawg likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Steve,
    It’s a 1936 Ford pickup. I’m building a car that would mimic a 1960ish show truck. It will have a 390 Caddy with a manual transmission and probably a 57-59 Ford Wagon rear end. Straight axle car with chrome Henry dropped axle and chromed 56 Ford F-250 backing plates with Buick drums. Too much info?

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sounds like your planned project will fall into this category - see nothing wrong with that -

9. Reidy

Reidy

Never to much info. After giving this about 30 seconds thought my first suggestion would be go to your local caravan or I think you call them RV shop. They will most likely have 12V air conditioners.

I have seen a number of trucks with what I would call a tool box mounted just in front of the rear wheel. These are normally for storage. I would build one of these boxes and put a vented back in it. I would then look at putting the unit in that. The caravan ones come with the compressor and condenser together. The condenser could go up against vented back. I would then mount the evaporator under the seat with vents along the front. As you only have a small cab you don't need the biggest one on the market.

If you require more circulation put a small fan under the dash to draw the cool air from the floor around the cab. If you do this just make sure you wash your feet every week or so.

Steve from down under

10. Just mount everything low and out of the way. My 51 GMC is getting AC, I don't give a rip, I plan on driving it year round

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

After a couple of hours in it, you’re ready to get out anyway. The 55 is my long leg cruiser.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have to say this , Root. You build a an old truck/ car because you want what you like. You build them to drive , so stick the A/C on and go man go. The main point is to have fun and enjoy the ride . So...... enjoy and don’t give it another thought.

13. squirrel

squirrel

I need to glue my 34 back together. I built this 45 years ago IMG_20200724_165720990.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is that an ac compressor on there Jim? I’m joking folks.....

Sancho, 31hotrodguy, GordonC and 3 others like this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

The first 32 I built is absolutely period correct, everything before 1950, except the dual master cylinder and 12 volts running through the wires. And I think there are one or two Phillips head screws in it somewhere. (I have tried some bias-look radials on it lately)

The current 32 project will have a T-5 and pull out axles in the banjo/quickchange hidden underneath.

The next one might even have a SBC for God's sake.

I must be getting soft. But no AC.

Dan Hay, Sancho, 31hotrodguy and 4 others like this.
  16. Callmaker

Callmaker

[​IMG] Period correct...and doesn't need a compressor.

Roothawg likes this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

Build it to suit your needs, if thats a low mount a/c, blacked out to disappear it, so be it. I think adding period correct Cloth covered wiring, generators, voltage regulators, period master cylinders, period speed parts, makes the car more interesting. It becomes a period inspired instead of period correct, but its what you want out of the car. Plus, cloth covered wiring really baffles the general public.

I truly commend the hardcore period correct builds, extreme amount of time and effort.

Personally, I focus on getting any of my car projects complete and driving by whatever means possible, any era of part that will meets that works for me. I tend to upgrade to modern parts when possible, disc brakes, a/c, engines or at least castings with the most power return for the buck. Have a collection of double humps Ill probably never bolt onto anything.

41 GMC K-18 and AHotRod like this.
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Forget the cloth wiring for a sixties build. They didn't use it anymore by then.

AHotRod and Roothawg like this.
  19. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

figure out a way to drive the compressor with a jack shaft maybe right to the front of the clutch and mount it opposite side of the starter ,,everythings hid
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

59-60 ish

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do as best as you can and stay Hokey Ass and those that care will understand and those that don't...oh well.

I certainly understand appreciation of the period look...the hidden or non hidden modern knock it out of full on compliance but it is a personal choice. I have a TH350 and even with a Period Automatic the sentiment wouldn't change with many as 2 pedals is 2 pedals...oh well.

If I had to run air I would as many here would build it in as cleverly as possible and enjoy the benefits and know some will react and let you know and how they do will set the tone of discussion.

31hotrodguy and Roothawg like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

just pack your shit and move to Minnesota... none of my old cars have air.....

rat bastad, Tman, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  23. "Older people" in Oklahoma,Texas, or Arkansas didn't drive in the summer before A/C?:confused:

My idea of period correct A/C

upload_2020-7-24_20-45-55.png

31hotrodguy, Roothawg and Moriarity like this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The generation that grew up without AC is almost gone. Most of us have gotten used to having it, so it's harder to do without than those folks that never had it to start with doing without it. Climate and area matter, too. We have the Gulf humidity that folks in the more northern states don't have. Root's area is like Texas, hot in the summer, ever hotter than here in Bama, but no matter, AC is almost a necessity for those of us who have grown accustomed to it.

My car presently doesn't have AC, but if I live long enough it will. I haven't decided on an under dash or in dash unit yet, but I don't give a shit who says it ain't period correct, it will get something. If I can't enjoy it because of the heat, I might as well sell it and watch TV all the time. I ain't in my 20's anymore trying to be macho, I'm in my 60's laughing at those 20 year olds for sweating their asses off!

Put AC on it Root and tell'm to kiss your ass if they don't like it!

31hotrodguy and Roothawg like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

They were way tougher than me. My grandma would never run the ac on her house. It would be 90 degrees and the paint was melting off the walls....

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

None of mine have heat....

razoo lew, Sancho, Moriarity and 3 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s a completely different world automotively than it was in the 30’s or 40’s. If they had to drive some of the distance some of us drive every day for a commute it would be a planned trip and involved leaving early in the morning.

Traffic isn’t the same, travel culture isn’t the same. Nothing is.

I would make it unnoticeable but wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

Driver50x, Tman, j3harleys and 2 others like this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wish. I’m not wired that way.

29. squirrel

squirrel

At least you're not letting us tell you what to do

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Ask for advice then argue....that’s my style...ha ha