Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 with kmember /sbc question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Jul 21, 2020.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Can anybody with a small block/39 trans and stock kmember in a 32 tell me the height of their crank center in front ? Measured to the top of the framerails? I’m building motormounts. Trying to make them work with a mechanical fuel pump, and not get in the way of the houdaille shocks. Harumph.

Attached Files:

2. low down A

low down A

with your trans were you need it you need to put an intake on your motor that your going to run and set a level on the flat carb area and level both ways thats were your mounts will go

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

The '32 trans mount will only allow a slight amount of miss alignment.
    Keep the crank snout height about the same as the flathead was .
    Remember the flathead could be hand cranked through the "eye" on u bolt cradle on top of the front crossmember , so there is your crank centerline .

4. xix32

xix32

In order for the `32 trans mount on the back of your `39 trans to be flat against the center "K" member, as it should be, that puts the front center of the crankshaft 2 &1/4" below the top of the frame rails.

5. Fogger

Fogger

Just measured my '32 Roadster, '57 283, '39 Ford trans, 2 1/4" to crank centerline from top of frame. Same as xix32 stated. Also the crank holes in the license plate mount, the grill and the cradle on top of the crossmember line up to the crank centerline.

heyitsnate likes this.
  6. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Pretty much my setup. Are you running a mech. Fuel pump? What kind of engine mounts?

7. Fogger

Fogger

Yes stock Chevy fuel pump and '32 Ford forged V8 motor mounts modified to bolt onto the Chevy block. Also the Ford V8 mounts only work with a stock '32 front crossmember. In your photo it looks like you have an aftermarket Model A crossmember.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  8. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Yeah I had adapted the forged mounts myself, but i couldn’t get a cradle situation that I liked enough to keep. I also bumped my crossmember forward a little for fan clearance ,and just extended the wishbone ball, and that further complicated the houdaille and motormount situation

9. KKrod

KKrod

Not my car. This is a friend's photo taken around 1960. The engine sits low when mated up to the '39 transmission. The fan has to be cut down quite a bit!

RollinStone32c.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    slug likes this.
  10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Yep. Looks like they used stock early chev motor mounts. Cool pic!

KKrod likes this.
  11. KKrod

KKrod

Can anyone enlighten me on the mounting of the motor using the stock motor mounts as shown. Is their a Hurst motor mount that attaches to the frame rails. Therefore requiring an electric fuel pump.

12. KKrod

KKrod

Here is the 265 mounted in my roadster. It mounts to a '39 trans and a torque tube driveshaft to 1941 Ford rear end. Notice the fan size. I've driven it to LA and back in the summer. Driven a total of about 10,000 miles and it only had a higher than usual heat reading one time. That was when I was in stop and go traffic at about 100 degrees F outside temperature. I used a modified (spring pocket raised 1") IMG_5818.JPG MotorMount.jpg '32 cross member and used the stock '32 Ford motor mounts with an adapter plate to tie them into the engine block. Brian Bass built a bichin' 283 and used a water pump riser and it looked like it fit right in place.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    alchemy and slug like this.
  13. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I did the same as you at first, but since I’m not using a 32 crossmember it would have been too weird. I’m trying to come up with some custom type hurst mount that doesn’t look cheesy. I imagine if you were to use the stock early chev mounts you would need to make a hurst style mount or additional frame crossmember

14. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I also noticed in the pic the shock mount bolts are backwards. Maybe they tacked the flat bolt heads to the inside rail, as a front mount blocks access to the bolts.....