Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Faulty neutral start switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jul 22, 2020.

1. birdman1

birdman1

I was going to start my 1977 Camaro and adjust the carb. So I reached through the window and turned the key, started right up. Then it started moving backwards! I tried to reach the floor shifter, but couldn't. So I hung on to the door until it was out of the garage, then let go while pushing myself away from the car so as to avoid getting run over. It continued across the alley hitting the neighbors swing set. Thankfully no one was playing there. I usually check to be sure the car is in park or Neutral. Plus I didn't know the nutrial switch wasn't working. Be careful, things can go to hell in a hurry.

olscrounger and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the fault of the switch, it's the fault of the guy who didn't adjust it right. Could be that things are worn to the point that it is not adjusted right though.

Had a buddy about 30 years ago who's car had the column shift just enough out of adjustment that you had to lift the lever up to be able to start the car. I offered to adjust it for him and he said, no leave it that way as for him it was a safety device and the car didn't start unless he wanted it to start.

3. I once shorted out the start relay, wich is after the neutral safety switch, in my car and it was in reverse.
    The relay is located right at the rear of the vehicle (it's mid-engined and OT) and it pinned me between itself and another car.
    Long story short I spent 3 months on my back with a fractured Pelvis and the Doc told me next morning you should be dead and we didn't expect you to survive.
    Neutral Safety Switches are way more important than we all think.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Boogered up or bypassed neutral switches are the norm in my shop. We see them all the time and what's worse is the owner of the car, for the most part is unaware the car will start in drive or reverse. Most bought it that way.
    Usually the wires are cut and wound together and taped up. Many with aftermarket shifters or different columns or just bypassed.
    This is probably one of the most dangerous things someone can do to a car!
    We check every car that comes into the shop and notify the owner if its that way. Most tell us to make it right.
    Even if you know it's that way, all it takes is a brain fart moment to either wreck the car or hurt or kill someone.
    Many manual trans cars never had them but will at least lurch before starting. An automatic trans car will give you no warning it's in gear until it's too late.
    Make them right!

Bill

5. I have an American Shifter in my T and i check it's operation regularly, they don't stay new for ever. JW

6. birdman1

birdman1

i found out that on the 1977 camaro, the neutral switch is mounted on the steering column even with it's floor mounted factory shifter. when a previous owner installed full-length headers, the rod that goes from the shifter to the bellcrank is in the way of the headers. so he had to remove the rod, dissabling the switch. I found a company that makes a switch that mounts on the shifter. I told the owner to get one so I can install it.This is not my car, I was putting the a/c back in it for a relative. What can possibly go wrong?? LOL

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a Camaro you can also "drive" that column mounted switch with a cable from the transmission. That way the reverse lights also work still (same switch). And on most models the key won't come out unless it is in P so that remedies that issue as well.