Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I think I found Larry Neves #2 track roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Youngster51, May 5, 2020.

1. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

Wow where did you find this picture at any info on it?

2. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

What was attached
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Cooon, Jet96, dwollam and 8 others like this.
  3. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Great pictures! Does anyone recognize the street/town in the first one? Oakland? What is the other roadster? Very similar.

loudbang, Youngster51, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Woody_Lee's_1924_Ford

here’s the Kustomrama link for the woody lee T seen in the other picture for years people believed that the number 2 turned into the woody lee T but this has been proved wrong a few years ago with new earlier photos of the woody lee t car surfacing and to many differences so close in time together.

6. That pic with the car on the trailer is the Neves roadster.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200722_202618.jpg

:rolleyes:...Calling 'Be Ryan'...do share more please...

Such a incredible capture...Hollywood Hotrod indeed...

Are you a Hamber?

@Austinrod nice find...;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Six Ball, Austinrod, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  8. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

yes It is amazing photo advertising Contra Costa stadium speedway. he also posted another one that was the woody lee T I was referring to But he deleted it now

9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just bent...Deliberatly...
    That is why I posted the picture highlighting a period connection as opposed to a newer hack.

It also highlights an interesting question...this was done in Roaring Roadsters but would it have been done at the Indy level meaning ethical and or questionable mechanical decisions...as Jimmy said it wasn't looked at as a sound modification...these guys were in a very dangerous sport...from the danger on the track to the danger in the mechanical makeup of what they were paid to race in...a heck of a lot of them died at the track too...

11. Ah ok, must have deleted just before I posted.

I'm really enjoying seeing what's underneath, eagerly watching for updates!

12. KKrod

KKrod

From the photos it looks like the Neves roadster was center steer while the Woody Lee T was a two seater. At least in the old photos.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  13. KKrod

KKrod

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm glad newer science has evolved eliminating this...and yeah it's not broken after all these years but I'll take a flattened cross-member, frame kick or reversed eye please...;)

15. KKrod

KKrod

The Neves roadster had a quick change. Therefore the need for an A spring to clear the quick change. Heating the ends of the spring lowered the rear end back to normal height. Maybe it helped the track roadsters not to lean so much in the turns??

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Sport Had Primitive elements and Geometry could Without doubt effect performance...It's interesting to know what Youngster is going with History or not. I mean that mod may have achieved an advantage that was more safely replaced by other mods to components...maybe ole faithfull still passes the driven test...;)

I'm curious to those at the Hamb that understand Loads...Is and was it a safe move on the Street...or for that matter the track ever...Hotrodding has always involved being Adventurous and perhaps Devious mechanically however right or wrong...

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

# cool machines.JPG

:rolleyes:...With My Eyes I really want this to be that Subject Roadster...it sure as Heck is Period and awesome to relate...I mean the third one in the background...

Happy Thursday...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

18. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Yea I didn’t want too confuse people with other roadster
    So I deleted it

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Changing the shape of the spring does not necessarily make it weaker. It is bent to one shape and with proper care it can be bent into another. That probably didn't happen but it could have. It may not work the same but it doesn't have to be dangerous. It's just steel.

Was the Contra Costa Stadium the one at the Contra Costa County Fair Grounds in Antioch?

Thanks for the link to the Woody Lee T. I can see why there could have been confusion. Just look at the two very different versions of the #2 we now know of.

20. Unfortunately not the Neves car, it is the Silva A roadster.

silva-A.jpg

kidcampbell71, Pat, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have never imagined that would be what I could barely discern in that dark corner in that show...not even a T...:oops:...Thanks Jimmy for your expertise...;)

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

Does anyone have any period photos of track roadsters engine compartment? What flathead speed equipment was popular or setup did they run?

23. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

229FE5F6-8072-4004-9B02-AE33637A6555.jpeg

I have been researching this photo and now I know it was advertising the opening event for the 1949 RRI season. This is an excerpt from the history of Don Kolb

“The Racing Roadsters Inc. 1949 season opened on Sunday night April 24 1949 at Contra Costa Speedway, a banked 1/4-mile dirt oval located near Buchanan Airfield on Pacheco Road four miles north of Walnut Creek California. The roadsters scheduled a full program that featured time trials, a trophy dash, four heat races, two semi-main races and a 25-lap feature race.”

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks for that! That would be the track in Pacheco. I spent a lot of time there in the early 60s before it was dozed for the freeway between Martinez and Walnut Creek. My uncle ran the coffee shop at the Paddock Bowl near the track. You could watch the planes take off and land out the window. I lived several miles away in Concord where Bailey Road goes over the hill into West Pittsburg. I could see the lights from the race track and even hear the racing from the hill above our house. All of those little towns were quiet little communities where people knew each other separated by farms and orchards. It was a great place to be back then.

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is shot of Pete Lovely's Roadster out of the Northwest, similar to your car. The last owner I know of was Ray Hiatt, from the Bay Area, very personable guy. car 55.jpeg

26. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

thanks I’m trying to gather Up the correct head and intake setup. Hoping to get everything mocked up completely close as possible then focus on the hood and nose

27. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

That’s awesome great way to grow up. Does the down town photo look familiar at all I don’t know how much it would aged from late 40’s to the 60’s

28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is why I asked. Little town main streets looked so much the same. I was looking for something in the NEON that I might recognize. We crused Main in Walnut Creek in the 60s. from Mel's to The Walnut Bowl. It looked just like Turlock or Modesto or wherever American Grafiti was supposed to be. If they were hyping the races in Pacheco that picture could have been taken in several places in any of the towns in the East Bay. I would bet another nearby town with a race track like Antioch. I was hoping someone would see something.

Stogy, chryslerfan55, Pat and 3 others like this.
  29. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

4A0BD1C0-7A85-457F-9B4C-903A1B35FAD7.jpeg

74674EF2-11DC-4934-904A-0AA76973E4E5.jpeg

E4C95569-669F-40F5-8C27-E387FB88D50F.jpeg

All the parts coming off the T roadster are being used to build this T bucket it’s an early Andy’s hand laid glass body “ The Recycled T”

Stogy, Tman, chryslerfan55 and 11 others like this.
  30. Youngster51

Youngster51
    from Fresno ca.

09D1CA58-8C7E-45F2-921A-35C987F4DDAF.jpeg

any ideas on this the number 2 roadster is pictured twice on the flyer the second and third car down. Before and after the number was added. The number 2 is also on the car in front of the theater advertising the April races in 1949. All before the nose scallop and louver striping was done also in both pictures