Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help, Clutch issue 1940

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Miller, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

Hi all,

My name is Matt and I live near Greensboro, NC. Bought a 40 Ford 4dr Deluxe that was frame off in 2012 and had been driven less than 1000 miles since. It is a rust free example done by a serious builder that put 40K into her. I bought it last week and wouldn’t you know it, within 50 miles I have a potentially serious issue.
    Engine is a 1953 8BA.

I was setting the timing ( it was running hot ) when after 30 minutes of neighborhood testing, she would not shift. Tranny was spinning ever so slightly as to not go into first. I assumed a clutch adjustment was in order. Took it to my local guy who is an excellent mechanic who took the adjustment rod almost all the way. ( I still have 1.5” of pedal play ) ... he thought all was good, I took it out after, same darn thing! ... won’t shift when hot.

Reached out to the guy I bought it from ... who said builder ( that he got it from ) said it had a 53 Truck clutch in it.

Reading some threads it appears that doing so was not good. Some say the forks don’t reach the pressure plate fingers adequately. So my question is ... can I make a 1.5” longer adjusting rod or IF it is necessary to pull the tranny, what combination clutch and pressure plate bolts up to a 53 flywheel that will allow proper clutch action.

Thanks in advance, my email is [email protected], 336-709-5500.

2. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

Thank you.

Attached Files:

3. weathrmn

weathrmn

Hi Matt, I have a 40 Ford with a 51 Mercury engine. Before I drove the car I had a clutch problem. The throwout bearing would not touch the fingers even withe adusting rod fully extended
    Long story short. I had a floor shift transmission in the car from a from a 6 cylinder pick up. Clutch and pressure plate was order for 52 v8 pick up. I drove my local clutch rebuilder nuts about the height of the pressure plate fingers.
    I put the original side shift 40 trans in and solved all the clutch pedal adjusting problems. 6 cylinder trans case bell housing area is different than the v8. Clutch plate is 10", all clutch plates with 1 3/8 10 spline are all the same.

4. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

I am confused. Could I call you or you me please?

5. 4ty

4ty

What transmission is in the car. If a 39 or 40 there should be an inspection plate on the top of the tranny. Remove it and in neutral (engine off) push in the clutch and see if the throwout bearing contacts the clutch fingers at the same time. Some new(er) pressure plates are not set correctly, and need to be adjusted, it's a pain but can be done w/out removing the tranny.
    Try changing the transmission fluid, using 600W or it's equivelant. FWIW
    Paul in CT

Matt Miller likes this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pilot bushing too tight ? Not common, but worth checking while the trans is out.

Matt Miller likes this.
  7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Matt, I also have an 8BA in my 40 Ford. The set up I have is"

1950 Merc. flywheel , with and 10 in Merc.clutch disc and pressure plate
    Used the stock 40 Ford throw out bearing and stock 40 transmission.
    Make sure you are using the correct Borg & Beck clutch components. Most folks say and 11 in clutch is overkill. I've used my 10 in set up since 1973.
    Do a search on Fordbarn for info. and also read the the following:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bor.....69i57j33.18047j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Matt Miller likes this.
  8. weathrmn

weathrmn

Matt, read your alert. Tony

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Matt Miller likes this.
  10. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

Thanks much Paul, found one issue so far. I do have the inspection plate open. With the pedal correctly returned and even with the brake pedal, how far should my throw out be from fingers. fyi, I am installing new linkage components to eliminate all “ slop “ 10 pivot points off 1/8 add up as you know. Also, I now understand the value of 600w which is ordered.

11. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

to update this thread I am engaging the clutch but the input shafts is turning when she is hot. I suspect after talking with experts that the pilot bearing is failing ( dirt rust from a cheap bushing ) my plate is hanging up on the shaft.

will install 600w, tighten up all linkage components adjust and go back to basics before it gets pulled which is a grand locally.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

13. alchemy

alchemy

I just use GL-4 140wt in my '39 transmission.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Alchemy; Me too. Also use it in rear end.

15. alchemy

alchemy

But I don't use any synthetics. Cause I was always told that synthetics leak more, and I have enough leaks as it is.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

17. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

Tony,

thanks for today. Can you send me a bottom shot of your dual exhaust? Might change mine over. Don’t know what yoir driver side looks like.