Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 AV8 Roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fire Fox, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

This is my first traditional hot rod build, I have got so much inspiration from you guys on here over the years. I found a vague add on Facebook marketplace for a roadster and was lucky enough to talk to the gentleman that night and he explained that the roadster was his fathers, owned since the 30’s, driven to college in Ohio then eventually moved south to Georgia where the car was disassembled in 1969 to start a restoration but never even got started on. I talked him into letting me drive the two hours early the next morning before he went to work and the deal was made, because we all know if you don’t pounce on a deal it will be gone. The car was originally black but at some point had been painted over, with what looks like a green house paint, the patina was perfect and I loved how all the accent pieces like grill shell areas and hubcaps were all painted with the same green. He had made himself a hot rod back in the day, 35 wire wheels and fake louvers on the hood, fenders remained on the car and a stock banger under the hood. I instantly knew this car would be a perfect candidate for a war era hot rod. IMG_3946.JPG IMG_3947.JPG IMG_3989.JPG IMG_4066.JPG IMG_4074.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, RustyBullet, brEad and 18 others like this.
  2. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Nice find!

Stogy and Fire Fox like this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, FF... looks really solid!
    Happy days...

4. like......

5. Ok, nice find. Put it together just like this one. Paint and all. Even the fake louvers.
    1932 Ford Roadster 30 01.jpg

catdad49, 3340, brEad and 12 others like this.
  6. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I debated about running the fenders but decided to go without them, that’s the first thing a young man would have done back in the day, ripped the fenders off

catdad49 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like the same green house paint we get in Australia. It seems to be on all old cars here.

8. As the saying goes, " The early bird gets the worm ".

Fire Fox and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

yup,
    nice save !
    got a hockey eye, but that looks like henry's green primer, maker a perfect patina whoever laid it down...

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good!

Fire Fox likes this.
  11. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If the fenders are decent and don't have the spare tire well I'd run 'em.

nunattax and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Fire Fox likes this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Awesome find! Yeah, I’d totally run the car just as it is body wise! Congratulations!

Fire Fox likes this.
  14. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Bitchin!

Fire Fox likes this.
  15. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

They are good and match the car perfectly but I’ve always wanted a high boy but I’ll probably keep them if I ever decide I want to change it up

catdad49, Tim and Stogy like this.
  16. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I decided to use a frame I already had from a previous car I sold because it was nicer than the one I got with the roadster, I bought a matching engine, transmission, and rear end out of a running /driving 39 Ford that was “updated” to modern drivetrain, a pair of 18” 32 wires for the back and 17” 33/34 for the front, a cool banjo steering wheel. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. That car would go together with the fenders and hood if it was mine. It's great to want a hiboy, but just not this car. Oh well it's yours, so do it your way. It'll be cool to see it back together after all those years,however you build it. Keep us posted.

18. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

The first order of business was to really check the frame out, it was good so we proceeded. I got Chad Adams to pick me up a couple of dropped axles and springs when he was at the GNRS from SoCal a couple years ago so I assembled the 4” drop for this build, split a set of A wishbones and welded the brackets on the frame. The 39 rear end is a spring behind the axle rear so we fabbed some brackets and mounted it above the axle for the A frame. A few leafs were removed and others reshaped to get it sitting down enough in the back and decided to mount the rear shocks in front of the rear end so we made those mounting brackets. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

catdad49, brEad, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... don't run the spare on an A frame... the frame stops at the rearend… some support from the bumper braces but not enough...
    the weight of the spare and its bracket will split the body where the larger beltline splits and has half run down the quarter and half across the tulip panel... check out retired stockers to see it...
    my $0.02 .

31hotrodguy likes this.
  20. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I’m not running a spare

Stogy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  21. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

I’ve been working so much, two jobs, and on the roadster that I haven’t kept up with the progress in stages on here but I’m getting pretty close to wrapping it up. The fab work is done, pedals, master cylinder, firewall trimmed around the oil fill tube, motor mounts, bones, steering box and column, F1 shock mounts, and headlight bar. We are blowing it back apart to final weld everything in place then will throw some black paint of the parts that need it, rebuild the brakes and get the car fired up, rolling and braking, wire it, finish the interior, and find the few parts I need to complete it and she will be ready for the road! IMG_4846.JPG IMG_4863.JPG IMG_4872.JPG IMG_4868.JPG IMG_4957.JPG IMG_5019.JPG

22. catdad49, deluxester, brEad and 5 others like this.
  23. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

That guy has no idea what hes doing. Id look elsewhere for ideas. Lol
    Looking good man!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  24. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Everything is working and fitting like it should so I blew the car apart for final welding and painting parts. I’ve got a handful of parts to order, proper brake lines, wiring harness, hood latches, welting, and few other small things. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

catdad49, deluxester, brEad and 8 others like this.
  25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Cool project and nice collection of parts she’s looking awesome .. Go Man Go

26. sdroadster

sdroadster

I see your front tire size is 450-17, what is your rear tire size? Where did you get the tires?

Fire Fox likes this.
  27. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

The rears are 6.50-18 and I got them from Coker Tire

Stogy likes this.
  28. A Boner

A Boner

Looking good! Keep the pics coming!

Fire Fox likes this.
  29. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Haven’t posted an update lately but the brake lines are plumbed. I’m going to try to rebuild the wheel cylinders this week and fill/bleed the system. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

catdad49, deluxester, brEad and 7 others like this.
  30. Fire Fox

Fire Fox

Sorry it’s been a minute since I’ve posted an update. I got the body back on the chassis for the final time, shimmed and bolted down, wheel cylinders rebuilt and bled, bracing fabbed, found a set of original 38/39 tail lights on eBay and got them mounted, got the exhaust run and I’m probably forgetting something but it shouldn’t be long now until the first drive through the Georgia mountains this fall. I plan on being at the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville also! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]