Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 Ford pickup fender braces

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gregsmy, Feb 6, 2020.

1. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Hi, Needing a picture of the correct location and how the fender braces are mounted for the front and rear fenders. I know about big front one, but isn't there a smaller brace past the front wheel. And not sure of the proper location of the rear brace as well. Also is there any improvements that can be made to support the fenders better to prevent cracking?

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yes, the smaller brace attaches to the lowest point in the fender, right behind the front tire. There is a tab that sticks out that has a carriage style bolt in it. The same with the rear, it goes through the fender. I don't have any pics handy.
    As far as cracking goes, I have never had one crack after repairing them. You have to remember, these trucks were used on farms, not like todays trucks with back up cameras and leather interior.

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.a...Category=7a70df6a-d5fb-4a85-b700-daa747eace66

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.a...Category=7a70df6a-d5fb-4a85-b700-daa747eace66

Look for the stainless bolt head on the rear fender in this pic. The other end of the bracket attached to the stud where the fender attaches.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  3. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Thanks Roothawg. I am just trying to figure out how they orient and fit in the fenders. I have fiberglass fenders that don't have holes drilled in them. I also don't have any studs that mount the fenders. Does the rear one follow the inner contour of the fender? Or does it mount vertically?

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll try and take pics this weekend for you. It follows the contour, sort of at an angle.

5. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Thanks. Thats what I was thinking. I just don't want to drill holes in the wrong place.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I'll try as well, I've a frame with braces on it. PM me your cell number, I can't get pics to my laptop for some reason, but can cell to cell them to you.

7. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Do they fit tight inside the fender? The fiberglass rear fenders are obviously much thicker than a sheetmetal fender, so maybe thats where my problem is.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yes, inside.

9. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

I have the braces worked out now and am in the process of trying to get everything aligned and fitted. I have another question regarding the shape of the front fenders, specifically the lower area behind the wheel arch as it transitions to the running board. Remember these are fiberglass fenders. The vertical area that is sorta triangle shaped looks to lean in towards the frame and is not flat. It has more of a "roll" or "bubble" as it goes from the top of the fender down to the lower bead. I have looked at a bunch of pictures and can't tell for sure if this is how it supposed to be. I think I see some like this and others that are completely vertical and flat, but I wonder if they have been body worked to achieve this. Just trying to figure out how the originals where made. Thanks

10. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

fender3.JPG fender4.JPG

Here are a couple of pictures to help show what I am seeing. The bulge near the bottom is on both front fenders. Just looking at pictures on the web I think I see this as well as some that are completely flat in this area. The second shows how the fender is pulled in and not completely vertical.

11. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Just bumping this back up to see if anybody can answer about the shape and fit of the front fenders in the pictures. I dont know anyone around that has a real steel truck to compare my fiberglass fenders to. I am not sure if this is how there supposed to look or not.

12. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Greg,

I have one fender out of the rafters I, can take a pic of for you. Give me a few hours to get motivated, just starting to stir about coming off night shift.

13. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

1937 ford.JPG 1937ford1.JPG
    Just to give you an idea of what I see when looking at pictures online trying to figure it out. The top picture is from the HAMB and you can see the area in question looks mostly flat and is straight up and down. The green truck I found looks more like mine where its kinda leaning in some and has a bulgy (is that a word?) profile.

14. Monkey Shine

Monkey Shine
    from Honolulu

Well, a pic of the fender brace in place would be great. My truck didn't come with them and will be adding them for stability. P.O. didn't use all of the bolts for mounting around a lot of places. Truck's in pieces now and doing patch repairs and body work. Partial assembly of front end shows braces are VERY tight don't want to line up with any holes. It'd be great to see how much stretching and manipulating I have to do.

Not a lot of cars around this island to see/verify....especially ones not highly modified.
    Thanks

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I forgot. My bad. I'll do it now.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

86312D15-2FC5-4E2E-ACE1-D7C6C3E06A49.jpeg 5C4D830D-F2D2-41FD-93DB-9EEB3285D21F.jpeg 272B9B01-84E0-4035-BFC1-E5028A5189D7.jpeg I left the front ones out for some reason. I didn’t notice until I went to take pics. Here is a shot of the rear ones, which you asked about early on. I will see if I have one to show you on my other set. The fenders are off of it though.

17. The 37 truck in pic above is mine The fenders are old no name fiberglass units .the passenger side one looks more like the green truck .I have seen an original un restored truck and that area was flat .

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  18. Monkey Shine

Monkey Shine
    from Honolulu

That was quick. Yeah, the rear ones fit just fine. It's the front ones that I'm really interested in. I'll wait and appreciate the help. Whoever posts one, will probably be the first for the entire internet...as I've scoured the damn thing looking.

Thanks again.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

They look a lot like the rear ones.

20. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

I wonder if its from the brace missing in the front fender and it has caused the area to "lean in" over the years? Then someone takes a mold off of it and you have a bunch of ill formed fenders being made.