Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmdeaton, Jul 19, 2020.

1. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

If not appropriate dump this. I usually hang out in the banger threads and they helped me choose a nice quiet oem style fuel pump for my banger. I haven’t fiddled with V8’s since high school. Buddy of mine is asking the same question for his 327 small block with a small Holley 4 barrel. Any suggestions?

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I like the Carter pumps, been using them for years. They're available in a couple different pressure ranges and they're quiet, especially when mounted onto their optional Quiet Pack. I currently have a P4070 on a single four barrel carbed SBC and am happy with it.

SlamIam and Just Gary like this.
  3. X2 on the Carter P4070. Vane style pump with bypass so it doesn't burn up. Internally regulated for carbs pressure, like 6 psi.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

SlamIam likes this.
  4. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Carter is what I just put on the banger. I think it’s from a Datsun 4 cylinder. Thanks I will let him know. Running a regulator?

5. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Just caught your post and the 6 psi
    Thanks guys

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. I use the Carter P4070, quiet and dependable.

SlamIam likes this.
  7. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m using a Holley Red pump and it seems a bit loud to me. The required GPM Is the first place to start when choosing a pump.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The Carter P4070, very reliable, and comes complete with a slick mounting bracket.

lothiandon1940, Just Gary and SlamIam like this.
  9. Looks like this:
    20200422_150815~3.jpg

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am curious about the Carter. I just had one die with only 4500 miles on it. Left me stranded. Took it apart and couldn't see anything. It would run but no pressure or suction. I have ran them for years. I replaced it with another, but I am leery of the quality these days. They say made in USA, I am hoping this was just a fluke.

11. Root, my understanding is 4070 should be mounted near tank, down low and vertically with wires on the bottom.

Phil

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I followed their instructions to a T. It's 12" from the tank. The only thing I was wondering about was I used a new fuel tank from Tanks, Inc and all of their tanks draw from the top. I am wondering if that shortens the life?

13. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Don't think it would make a difference once its primed and if its down low.

14. Caprice89

Caprice89

Is it gravity feed?

Sent from my online shouting device

15. No, just like any electric pump it should be mounted near tank and down low around bottom of tank. It does have small suction abilities, but like any electric fuel pump it works best as pusher. It will self prime if near the tank, if that was the ultimate reason for your question.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regards the carter p4070 , is there an issue regulating the output pressure to 2 1/2 Psi for 97 strombergs

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well the answer to a nice quiet OEM style pump for the 327 is easy... the stock mechanical pump.

Is your engine a model A, B, C or something else?

18. Mimilan

Mimilan

Use a Walbro FRB series [FRB -13] and your priming / gravity feed issues disappear.

Super reliable as well.

19. Caprice89

Caprice89

Yes it was. Thanks.

Sent from my online shouting device