Register now to get rid of these ads!

What crosses a person's mind when they see our cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 12, 2008.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their, mother, father, aunt, uncle, grandmother, grandfather, take your pick, had one just like it...
    The best ones are the "ladies" who remember losing something in the back seat.:rolleyes:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. Mark Wahlster

Mark Wahlster

90% of people looking at my Willys see an Army Jeep. the fact its a Civilian Jeep made in almost the same numbers as the Military jeeps has nothing to do with it. A flat fender Jeep is always a military jeep in the uneducated publics eye.

3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard that very thing my whole life. You kinda get used to it.

4. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

My buddy would rather you drive a KIA better fuel mileage!

5. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

People wonder why an old man like me(75yo) is driving a chop top ,fenderless hot rod with bigs and littles...…...

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. outagas1961

outagas1961

lots ask if i want to sell it

jimmy six likes this.
  7. Not directly related but brings up a peeve of mine; I never get to see my car driving down the road and it is by far my favorite car!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My response is if you can fix it it might be something you might like... but if you can’t your in trouble because old cars are not for the front of heart.

jim snow likes this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

How we think people react when we drive our hot rods.,,.

jim snow likes this.
  10. Most of the time with Taboo its "why did they cut up a 56 Chevy?"

The other cars in the fleet will get the usual compliments and the occasional "is it for sale?" or "whats it worth?"

I think the oddest one I've heard was with my O/T 68 Camaro I've had longer than I have had a drivers license. I was a senior in high school (2010) and this older lady told me 2 of her kids were conceived in the back seat of a similar Camaro. Yeah never expected to hear that one, lol.

jim snow likes this.
  11. jim snow

jim snow

Me too! Snowman

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Probably headed to the early bird seniors dinner at Dennys.

13. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Their purse?

bchctybob likes this.
  14. The best for me is the stories, love hearing them when I was in my 30's-40's and they were in their 70's/80's.....they're most likely gone now :(. Worst is "how much it it worth" as a first question, I usually say "it's only priceless to me".

15. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

That seeing your own car thing, that's a trip. Get someone to drive your car by you, it really changes your perspective. We see our cars far too often from far too close!

trollst likes this.
  16. trollst

trollst

Visiting a friend yesterday, both our pickups are in his garage, my 36 ford and his 41 dodge, I asked him if he could remember back to a time when we would see cool cars and wished we owned one? He said yes, and he wasn't about to forget about those times, cause he is sure others look at our stuff wishing it was theirs. Thats about how it is for me.

17. 6sally6

6sally6

Wish I had a quarter for all the folks (men and women) that stop and comment about my Mustang(ok-ok I know, it's a vulgar word on the H.A.M.B) and how they 'had one'/had a boyfriend who 'had one'/had a best friend who 'had one'/raced one/wrecked one/got laid in one/their Mom 'had one'/learned to drive in one........ on and on.
    Funny how they don't see the imperfect paint and such........their eye just sorta glaze over and they wanna talk about it. This particuliar year Ford made more of these than THEY EVER made any other model.
    jus say'in
    6sally6

18. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

I get a lot of "you don't see many of these" or "you don't see one of these every day". Just this weekend I got "I've only seen one other car like this". So I can only imagine that's the thought of a good portion of car enthusiast. Of course, non-car type people probably just think "oh, an old car!"

19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My wife and I came out of a restaurant one night and there was an Indian family, (the country, not American Indian) looking at our hi-boy, Deuce roadster. As we approached the car the father asked, "what happened to your mudguards, did someone steal them? I knew he meant the fenders, so I just explained that the car is what we call a hot rod in America. He just looked at me and said something to his family in Indian and they all walked away. I have no idea what he said to them, probably told them I was crazy.

20. leon bee

leon bee

I like how the very first response is squirrel's "wtf". I know that when people see my 51/52/53 Buick Roadmaster pickup, they're only thinking, "What the fuck is that?"

21. My favorite (and frequent) comment is, "do you still have your Jeep?"

1-P1010108.JPG

22. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Friend of mine said when you’re driving by some stores, look at your car reflection going by through their glass.. make sure no one is front of you of course!

23. I stopped at a garage sale and a guy from China asked me if I made this..... A7834E60-5948-4300-92A8-ACC579B602B4.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Gotgas and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. That's my only salvation. Do it as often as I can!

Just remembered another incident; when I was going to Fresno State in the 70s, parking was sketchy as it always is around universities. I drove my Willys which was hacked together, rusting light gray primer, cracking welded together stock steel hood, really dangerous farm implement rear tires 'cause they sort of looked like slicks. A city cop left me a parking ticket, car make listed as "1957 Chevrolet"
    Early  B&W 2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Elcohaulic likes this.
  25. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

" I know a guy in Podunkville who has one just like it, He restored it completely with a 409 Hemi and a Turbo Cobra Jet Tranny!" And then they want to tell me all about his car. Ahh, they mean well- just trying to be friendly... I like the old saying"If I have to explain it to you, you won't understand, anyway..."

jim snow likes this.
  26. We all seem to get similar responses.
    What I appreciate is when oncoming cars give a wave, or thumbs up..an obvious respectful appreciation..quick to the point, without any words spoken.

Jrs50, charleyw, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  27. fuzzface

fuzzface

Not sure about other people's mind but I had to take my wife to the clinic and it happened to be on the top floor looking over the parking lot. She came out and I was looking out the window and asked what I was looking at? Just checking to see if we had the oldest car in the parking lot and we did. Then I went on and said we could have driven our newest car and we still would of had the oldest car in the parking lot and she just shook her head.

bchctybob, jim snow and Elcohaulic like this.
  28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Very Intelligent Lady Looked At My Coupe And Exclaimed "You Drove That All Of The Way To Our 50 Year Class Reunion"!...(117 Miles)... CHANGE 2014 028.JPG

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Most of the times when we were driving around in our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, it was a happy time for us. For those that saw us cruising around, it showed to others that 20 somethings were happy during those hectic times of our USA society. A nice powerful hot rod with all of the amenities built in versus a 1969 tub of an Impala or Ford sedan? There was no comparison to driving around in a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in So Cal. Most of those not involved in our lifestyle were a little envious due to the fact of what was going on all over the USA.

upload_2020-8-14_4-9-11.png
    We were supposed to be serious, but we were still young and relatively care free. Living on a coastal city had its advantages. The lifestyle presented a nice low key way to live and get along with others. Wasn’t that what we all were taught in elementary school? To get along well with others? Well, at least, that was what was written on my bi-annual report cards… “gets along well with others”, or was it, “…needs to get along well with others…” MOOT…

By the time we were in our hot rods and having a good time, it really did not matter what was going on outside. Arriving at the beach, it was kick back and relax. The sedan delivery always had a nice shaded area in the back, for quiet naps in the forest or parks, during our long drives up and down the coast.

Jnaki

It had to be envy, as if it was described as jealousy, there had to be some kind of love.

Jealousy is when you worry someone will take what you have ... Envy is wanting what someone else has.”

Jealousy may be used to mean possessively suspicious."

Jealousy is properly restricted to contexts involving emotional rivalry.”

Envy is used more broadly of resentful contemplation of a more fortunate person.”

It is a fine line between the two words, but for most people outside of the hot rod world, it is pure Envy.

clunker, charleyw and bchctybob like this.
  30. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

They Just Think: "Arresting Development"... 108213491_10219829937596329_2725663009234693202_n.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.