Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59 f100 parts sources

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Okie_greaser, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

I’m trying to do some research before I go head first into my 59 f100 project and need some good resources for reman body and interior parts. I know LMC carries some stuff for these trucks. Any other sources I need to investigate? My past few projects have been more popular vehicles with a plethora of aftermarket options. Thanks in advance for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. There are quite a few that have some parts... @ccain just mentioned that he found a good company for seals called "Rubber The Right Way". Generally I will see if I can find the part number and just use google to search for the part. Most aftermarket places like Mac's or LMC will also have the OE part number listed (sometimes). It will lead to either original parts at some reasonable re-manufactured parts. Of course the more generic the part the easier to find. Body repair parts are a bit difficult to find in new condition.
    Best of luck!

Jeff

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

LMC is pretty muck old truck Wal-Mart.
    Crappy to Ho-Hum to some of the same stuff everybody else has.....

Dennis Carpenter
    National Parts Depot
    Macs (Ecklers)

That’s the big 3 besides LMC.
    I honestly feel those are a little above LMC on most stuff. Some stuff like fuel tanks come from the same supplier.

Others of note....
    C&G Ford
    Plus many others....Google is your friend.
    Don’t overlook the local box stores.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  4. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

I’ve been looking and it seems that Oreillys and NAPA carry a lot of the “consumables” like clutches and brake booster and suspension components. I’m looking for a core support and floor pans and glass. I see that eBay has glass kits but wonder if they are cheap thin glass and a waist of money. Also looking for info on swapping the 3 on the tree to a floor shifter but can’t find a specific kit for that yet.

5. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

Thanks for that heads up. Will be looking for rubber soon.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Nobody makes a core support for these as far as I know.
    ‘57-60 are orphan years for body stuff.
    The ‘57-60 Styleside beds were used through ‘63 on some SWB F100s and through ‘66 on LWB 4x4s.

Floor pans should be straight forward.
    The core support, you can either repair or find a better one.

Flashback F100s is a junkyard/parts supplier out of South Carolina. He deals mostly in 61-66 stuff but occasionally he will get a Fridge Box.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I was figuring that the fuel tanks probably came from one or two manufacturers. LMC is about $50.00 cheaper for a 1948/1952 F1 . I want to install a new one in my ‘48 F1 .

8. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

Thanks for the input. I have a flair side bed but it’s in pretty good shape. I’ll have to take a closer look at my core support to see how hard it’s going to be to repair, I got a 57 front end with the truck when I bought it but it’s in worse shape than the original so it wasn’t much more than a yard ornament. Your not kidding about being the orphan f100s not a lot of info out there compared to the previous and following body styles.

9. No one will make core supports. Most are rotted along the bottom and can usually be repaired easily. I just sold a rust free core support. EMS sells cab corners, most suppliers have floor pan and front cab mounts (if your floor is toast your mounts probably are, too). I have lots of parts for these trucks...as I have lots of these trucks. 57-60 is probably one of Fords least desirable pickups...but I love em

10. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

They are ugly as sin, but that’s why I love them! I will probably pick your brain here and there throughout this build if that’s ok. Have you found any floor shifter options for these trucks? I’m keeping the stock inline 6 and 3 speed but can’t stand the 3 on the tree setup.

11. No, I love column shifts. I am sure you can find an old floor shifter if your truck is a long box (it will have a long tail shaft top loader three speed, same design as a car transmission). If a short bed, it will have a peanut trans with no tail shaft May be a lot harder to find a shifter conversion for it.

12. Just gonna chime in to say HEY, WELCOME, and you have impeccable taste in fine pickup trucks. ;)

As for the glass, I just go some from a joint on eBay called autocity1958. Offers a guarantee for fit and quality. Glass looks good, nice and thick, and with the channel setting tape, they fit the frames like factory glass.

[​IMG]

Come payday, I'm gonna order their window glass. The vent glass was $25 a pane and the door glass is like $40 or so. So far, I don't have any complaints.

Like fauj said, I got my rubber from Rubber the Right Way, out of San Diego, but the parts are all Dennis Carpenter brand. They're a mom and pop joint and I'm shopping as local as I can right now. Funny thing is, their shipping is WAY faster than Dennis Carpenter and the prices are not out of line at all.

Look, you're going to drive yourself bat-crap crazy trying to find places that have stuff for these old turds. :D At least I did at first. You'll soon figure out that there is no "one stop shop" for these old bastards. You'll end up saving a whole list of eBay sellers and create about a million bookmarks in little to no time.

Believe it or not, CJ Pony Parts has a few bits and bobs for these old refrigerators.
    Also, beyond what has already been mentioned, there's Collier's Classics, Melvin's Classic Ford...

I love to read about folks fixing up these old 57-60 Effies. It brings solace in the notion that I'm not the only miserable bastard out there. :D Just kidding.

I'll tell you like I tell everybody, I may not be the brightest tool in the drawer, and I am, by no means, a Rocket Surgeon. But, if you ever have any questions I'll try to help as much as I can. If I can't, we'll learn together. ;)

Good luck, have fun, and remember, Safety First! Unless you're working on your ex-wife's car... then... I'd say, maybe... I dunno... Safety Third?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  13. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

Thanks for all the help. Im sure I’ll have a few questions for you along the way. I like the weird ones so I know the pain of hard to find parts all to well (had a 59 mercury parkland, that was almost impossible to source parts for).

14. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

I have a short bed flair side so it’s got the small 3 speed trans. I wonder if I can make the car ones work for my truck with a few small modifications. Guess this is going to be a learning experience but when I figure something out I’ll share it with the group for sure.

15. Steele Rubber is good for a lot of soft parts like body gaskets and so on. Go to their site, plug in the vehicle info and all their products will be listed. Try eBay for other used parts, save the search and keep checking it week to week.

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Might want to consider trading your 3 speed for a T-98 four speed. These were factory option fir the 59 models. This transmission shifts great. It will give you a floor shifter. Plus you could gear up the rear end a little , for better high way speed and still have a “ compound” gear if needed. This transmission is actually a three speed transmission with an “ off road” first gear. I have a 59 with this transmission and a 292 V-8 and love it.
    It’s the truck I learned how to drive on! My grand father bought it new!

Bones

alanp561 likes this.
  17. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

That’s definitely an option. I’ll have to do some looking and see what I can find. Is the crossmember the same for that trans? And it will bolt up to the inline 6 no problem?

18. No crossmember as the transmission hangs off the bellhousing, the bellhosuing is what bolts to the crossmember. The bell housing will be different, you will need one for a I6/4 speed. That should not be hard to find at all. Make sure it is for a 57-60, and had the two threaded bosses for the slave cylinder to bolt too. You will also need a 4 speed transmission cover for you floor, which again, will be easy to find. Aside from that they are nearly bolt in. You may also need to shorten your drive shaft, or get a shorter slip yoke. I did this swap a couple years ago (but opposite, I went from 4 speed to 3 speed) and needed a slip yoke about an inch longer. My drive shaft shop had what I needed on the shelf.

19. This is my current 57-60 line up...but that changes frequently it seems :/

I have a ton of pars too. If you were local I could probably hook you up with a T98 and bell housing. But none of those parts are desirable or hard to find

6385EE91-87CE-4BB2-AADE-306B12F8FCD6.jpeg 3B3AF70B-0F84-486B-BC38-8AD9CA05FA4A.jpeg AD8F1B89-FA2C-4D35-A76D-80D584551BFB.jpeg 589A4B2C-E72F-49F6-9FDA-D44DD21A5A08.jpeg

The Magic Ratchet and bobss396 like this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m glad Chris chimed in! I thought it was a bolt in , other than drive shaft and of course floor pan.

Bones

21. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

22. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

You told me everything I need to know. Now to start the search for t-98

23. I bought that crew cab in Alaska and shipped it down, I looked for about 20 years for one. The last two factory 4wd crews I have seen that sold recently, both sold for over 20K and both were non running complete projects. 2wd's are in the mid teen range for complete projects. Crew cabs are rapidly becoming stupid lol

24. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

I’ve got a couple of the 73-87 Chevy trucks and those crew cabs are in the same boat. Getting ridiculous.

25. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

Chris, have you done a T-5 swap yet? I was reading on another forum about it. Seem like a pretty easy swap with the bell housing modification from ford y block

http://www.ford-y-block.com/truckt5.htm

26. I have a 59 F100 4x4 and previously owned a 60 F100.
    Aside from the companies listed above, on Facebook - "Those Guys" & Gals Truck Club. 1957 58 59 60 Ford F100 F250 Mercury Panel is probably the biggest group for these trucks and has searchable references for most every part and piece you need plus very active used part sales.

27. What about Mid Fifty F100 parts in Arizona?, I know they had good products for my '54 when I had it.

Okie_greaser likes this.
  28. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

Thanks Speedy, I’ll check them out. No such thing as to many sources.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  29. My core support was rotted at the bottom and it had been a California truck, go figure. I ended up basically cutting out the bad and removing all the spot welds and 'rebuilt' it. Link to some pics here... I still have a bit to do with it but it's now solid and complete.

These truck have some known rust out points. Cab corners inner and outer (built some of those myself), cab supports (should have built those myself, ended up buying some and having to modify them to fit) and step wells/floors. Luckily my floors and step wells were good.

Easy enough to make most things like cab corners, my only advice is that there is no shame it making in as many smaller parts as your skill level requires! I tried to make one cab corner out of a single piece of 16 gauge... that experience almost caused me to start drinking again and resulted in me using a very wide and colorful vocabulary that my neighbors now know!

Jeff

30. Okie_greaser

Okie_greaser

Thanks for the input Jeff, I’ll probably cut out the bad part of the core support and weld in some some square tubing, as far as the cab corners, I can weld but not the best at shaping metal so probably best for me to just buy some pre fab and weld them in. Other than those two spots and some thin places in the floor boards this truck is in decent shape.

fauj likes this.