Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Shit i was sitting at the paylake ;) Didn't get out of bed til 11 today :confused:

loudbang likes this.
  2. I believe I've narrowed my steering issue to the 605 box. If the car sits a day or two i have to "break it loose". Like it's stuck. No idea how long the box has been in the car with no lines hooked to it. So I'm pretty sure it's been dry a while. I poured some power steering fluid in it, but i was thinking maybe some marvel mystery oil would be better? I'll buy the good box this winter and change it out.

427 sleeper, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I traded my old Sedan Deliv to hamtownAl ,I included 2 Brand New gas gauges. Drove it for 12 years and never once ran out of gas with the "flintstone" gauge method;)

Stogy and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OOPS forgot the pic...[​IMG]

bchctybob, 37hotrod, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  5. Yeah I've used that method on some of my model a Ford's, but it's not possible on the 57. It's a bare bones beater, nothing fancy, but i want my gas gauge ;)

6. I have that same gas gauge in the t-bucket!

hotrodjack33, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When you get it figured out, let us know. The few minutes I ran mine before I pulled it back apart, my S10 box did the same thing, it seemed like it had a sticking spot straight ahead. Once past that point either direction, it worked fine, until you went back to center, then it would stick again. I don't know if that was from sitting or what, the truck I pulled it off of was devoid of it's front sheet metal, and the lines were off the box. I'm hoping it's just a small rusty spot that will wear back smooth, but I dunno. Oh, I had the lines and pump hooked up when it done this, I don't seem to notice it when the engine is off, it felt smooth before I put it on the car, still does without pressure in the line....

loudbang likes this.
  8. I put an S10 box on an old truck once. Manual box, from a square body. It worked great, and then one day it was shot, i had even drove the truck. Come to find out that where i had been welding on the frame, it arced across the gears and destroyed that sucker!

loudbang likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yikes! Don’t tell me that! I had to weld a mount on the frame while I had the box bolted up. It was the lower mount for the box, it had to be welded to the bottom of the frame while the box was in place to make sure it would line up.

loudbang likes this.
  10. IIRC that's what i was welding when it happened, a tab for the lower mount :confused:

loudbang likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well crap. I may end up having to change the box then. Never would have thought about that happening.
    Think I’ll take the cross rod off and see if it still has a hard spot in it.

loudbang likes this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I gave up screwing with the gas gauge in my ‘56. My car came with a new sender not installed and a not working sender installed in a new tank.
    Put in the new sender, reading’s off, adjust, better, adjust, too far, go back. A month later, it’s leaking. Fix the leak, reading 3/4 when full. Damn. Good enough for who it’s for. A few months later I fill it up and it’s leaking again. Motherf....... I think it may be a cheap aftermarket tank. At this point, I just don’t fill it up, I have other cars to tend to. I wish you better luck!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just an FYI regarding the 605 steering box conversions, when connected to a power steering pump, they DON'T return to center very well on their own. That may be part of the problem you have with it not returning to center, especially without a power steering pump connected. That's something the 500 series boxes do, a big improvement.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. That's my problem, with the car on Jack stands, it's still got the issue. I just sprayed about a half a can of pb blaster in that sumbitch, we'll see what happens and go from there. ;) couple of buddies have manual steering boxes, if this don't work, I'll switch it ....

loudbang likes this.
  15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Brother!!! If you have to switch boxes won't you have to switch column's too?

loudbang likes this.
  16. No I'll just cut the shaft and slide the rag joint over it, drill a hole through it and throw a bolt in it. And a couple of welds ;) one of my buddies already cut the shaft on his and has one of the fancy street rod polished columns in it. He went to power steering, so the box should be close to fitting right in mine. But, I've been walking out there and turning the wheels from stop to stop with the pb blaster in it, and i swear it's getting better! Fingers crossed. If it works out I'll just loop the ports on the box and let it ride til winter. With everything going on here in the bluegrass state, I'm expecting them to cancel the reunion, so it's not like the car is gonna be anything but a sweet ass work car this year :cool:

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  17. This thing is binding just sitting still. If it sits here very long, i have to force the wheel to turn and you can feel it break lose, it's the same way with the wheels off the ground sitting on jack stands. I wish the car had the stock box back on it. I'm not well versed in tri fives, but I'm starting to figure some of it out lol. Never had these issues with a Model A :rolleyes: and shit didn't cost so damn much for them!! ;)

loudbang likes this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here ya go..... cheap too

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tri-5-chevy-parts.1165060/

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  19. coupe man

coupe man

I have a GM column in my ply.Had to replace the turnsingle switch in the column.When I reinstalled the steering wheel I made the nut to tight which holds the wheel on and it did the same thing,Wouldn't return by it self.Loosened the nut slightly and problem solved.It must have boundup the bearings inside the column.

20. Are you kidding me? If i go out here and loosen that nut and it fixes it I'll shit down both legs :rolleyes: I'll take some paper towels with me just in case. Let ya know if it worked in a few minutes

loudbang, scotty t and 427 sleeper like this.
  21. Well that wasn't it....

loudbang likes this.
  22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Atleast there was no extensive haz-mat clean up needed... LOL!!! :rolleyes::D

23. I know right!!! :D

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lost the box in my 442 10 years or so ago and stuck some no name box on it. Wouldn't return to center, hard to steer, pure garbage. Took it off and put a Red Head box (that didn't sound right) in it and never had another issue.

25. I just wish the stock box was still in it :rolleyes:

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PB Blaster is good Shit!!! I hope it works for you, I've got everything crossed for you! ;)

loudbang likes this.
  27. Everything? o_O you're gonna hurt yourself man!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Lloyd , with your gas gauge problem. Maybe someone has posted all ready but make sure you have a good ground strap from the body shell to the frame and a good one from the motor to the frame. a lot of guys just ground the battery to the engine and call it good and then all these 60 plus year old circuits are constantly hunting for a ground. Also done dozens of tri fives over the years and never heard where a s10 gear box was a suitable replacement on a tri five. The centerline of the steering column input shaft to the base of the pitman arm I would think would be to short and depending how you have the center link lined up with the tie rods and the pitman arm as well as how you have the column hooked up to the box. You may be putting a bind on the gears in the box. Years ago Mullins steering developed a half breed combination of a 70's era gm box and the longer pitman shaft of the tri five and it was a bolt in although I know there was binding issues at times with some of them. Later on Borgenson u joints and steering components bought Mullins out and then refined the design with new castings and components. A lot of places that deal with tri five parts offer these boxes , but buyer beware because like a lot of things out there, there is a lot of crap china wanabe's . Also I have not emotionally recovered from the fact that you waved a Watson style multi blue metal flaked panel paint job under my nose, AND THEN WENT WHITE!!! lol keep up the good work and stay safe on the day job. Larry

loudbang likes this.
  29. Lol thanks for the info Larry :D, but don't worry, I'm not going white. We'll just wait and see what happens on the paint this winter. Probably be conservative (cheap) as i have to build a truck for Mrs. Stone ;). I don't have an S10 box on this car, that was about a different vehicle. This car has a 605 box that I'm told can be sourced from just about any 70's G body. About an hour ago i got a phone call and Wednesday i should have a manual box here. All is good my brother:D

30. Shout out to danchuk for this awesome piece of shit :rolleyes: thank you so much! Not like i didn't have to work for the money i paid for the hood springs with. Rant over. 20200722_112703.jpg