Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods nine inch ford question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost28, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Ghost28

Ghost28

I have a new nine inch 31 spline limited slip posi, that Is slipping like an automatic trans with low fluid. Here are some facts. It will pull the car barely. I did check the clutch it's ok
    1 with the car in the air and in 1st gear (muncie 4 speed) one tire wont spin at all, but with my foot I can turn the other wheel.
    2 in nuetral I spin one tire and both rotate the same direction. I did not try to stop either one yet.
    there is no noise coming from the rear gears

Could the clutches have come apart to cause this trama. Any ideas.

2. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Straight hypoid gear oil? Or does it have the additive

3. squirrel

squirrel

The clutches keep it from letting you turn one wheel faster than the other. That part seems to be working?

But if the car won't move, it's probably not the limited slip clutch.

Do you have 31 spline axles? Are they both long enough to go into the differential the way?

4. Your differential has nothing to do with not moving the car. Assuming that the tires are not slipping, even a completely wasted limited slip will transfer power. All limited slip does is restrict the two sides from going different speeds.
    If your driveshaft is turning, the car had to go. Unless you are completely broken inside the differential.
    I think your problem is insufficient torque to turn the driveshaft. In other words, clutch slipping bad.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

studebaker46 and j-jock like this.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

It has the oil and additive.
    one axle is about 1/2 inch short, but it still goes into the splines about 1/2 inch. Both are 31 spline

6. squirrel

squirrel

Half inch short will do that. Not engaging the side gear on that side

Sent from my Trimline

brigrat, fiftyv8, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  7. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks Squirrel. I have the correct axle on order to correct this.

8. squirrel

squirrel

btw if anyone is wondering why I suspected a short axle, it's because of how the Ford limited slip is built. Most others have the splines for the clutch on the outside of the side gear hub. But the Ford has a half thickness side gear, and the clutch hub has the rest of the thickness. They each have about half an inch of spline, and both must be engaged on the axle, for the differential to work properly.

79trac03.jpg

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

Good to know my friend. I will retain this

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Jim! Impressive!

fiftyv8 likes this.
  11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

It doesn't surprise me at all that Jim knew the answer.

427 sleeper, fiftyv8 and bobss396 like this.
  12. Mr Squirrel is usually the man to ask when it comes to knowing all the little things that trip people up .
    He is one of the more helpful guys here,,,,always on point and always trying to help .

His name is Jim,,,,,he always makes me think of Mission Impossible .
    This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds,,,,,Good Luck Jim !

Lol,,,,sorry I couldn’t resist,,,,,but,,all the rest is true .

Tommy

13. Richard Head

Richard Head

I built a 55 Chevy for a guy that had an Art Morrison chassis. The day I got it running, I put it in gear and tried to drive up my driveway. As soon as I hit an incline, the car stopped. At first, I thought it was the transmission, but I looked underneath, and the driveshaft was turning. We called Morrison and they said to pull the axles and check the length. One axle had been shortened 1/2 inch by the shop that assembled the chassis. Fortunately the shop stepped up and paid for the new axle. The correct length axle had to be wiggled, almost like a torque converter, to get the splines in.

Dave

bchctybob likes this.
  14. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

You'll have a bear of a time getting the new axle in if the clutch hub and spider gear splines are no longer aligned, especially if it's a new center with decent clutches and good preload.

15. 5:00 am and I already learned something. Thanks Mr. Jim!

Desoto291Hemi and bobss396 like this.
  16. This site is so lucky to have Squirrel as a member. He never ceases to amaze with his fast responses and knowledge. Thanks Jim.

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^Nailed it. Could easily have his own Q&A column.

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If aliening steel plates to friction plates is a problem here's what I have done to make it a little easier. Take an appropriate splined junk axle and bull nose the end of the axle splines (hand grinder, belt sander), hand file splines clean. If you need it longer just cut off a 2 or 3 inch stub off the splines and weld to a long solid shaft to bang on..................

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  19. deuceman32

deuceman32

Every day is a school day on the HAMB. Thanks, Jim.

427 sleeper likes this.