Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

At least Dad is working on the car! Of course I shouldn't talk to loud, half way through a 4 week volunteer lay off and have not touch a car in a week and a half. Got a honey do list of house remodeling. lol Larry

Deuced Up!, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was up early this morning watchIng the space station fly over. While I was up I stepped into the shop and decided to knock out the neutral safety switch.
    20200716_053016.jpeg

I have had the heavy duty switch for a while. This morning I held it place to have a look see about mounting it. This is totally an afterthought since I discovered a clutch pedal switch was the ONLY way we could go with our trans.

After looking around a bit, I bent up the and drilled the bracket. The switch fit perfect.
    20200716_053105.jpeg

It will mount directly to the firewall in the foot well, obviously right behind the clutch pedal. Then we will wire it in aft of the starter button so both have to be depressed to fire the car.

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  3. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Okay , where did you find a square drill bit!!

4. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know right? That strip of metal was about 2' long with square holes every 8" on center. No idea where it came from or what it was used for...lol. Made a nice bracket though!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yesterday we got back to the shop and continued work on the interior. All of the sheetmetal work is complete but we have one small issue (right) that must be addressed. The passenger seat, which would have already been a tight fit, has no shot of at it original location now.

Resized_20200718_131137.jpeg As you can see, the area above (cover for the mounts and torque arm as it passes through the area) totally invades the seat area. It is about 2.25" tall from the floor up and extends just over 3.5" into the cockpit from the trans tunnel.

The bottom line is we simply have to take that much area out of a brand new, never even sat in, leather Cobra seat. I won't tell you how much that stupid thing cost but at this point, with out being modified, it simply worthless in this endeavor.

Resized_20200718_183517.jpeg So we carefully took it all apart, removing about a half million staples and then the leather skins.

Resized_20200718_122701.jpeg
    Then after making a few marks, we cut the neccessary amount out of the seat bottom and corner etc. There is so much foam in that area that I am not concerned about feeling the missing pieces or the invading steel protrusions. I know, it looks pretty rough but we simply had to do it.

Resized_20200718_123119.jpeg As you can see, after a second round of trimming for fit, the seat is in place. It fits like a glove. However, the base, where the seat bottom fits is still about 1.5" below the cover area. So I dropped a couple of 2x4 pieces to level the area.

Resized_20200718_123123.jpeg
    Oddly enough these pieces of 2x4s were cut and painted a long time ago when we had the car simply bolted together to go to the Meltdown Drags as an exhibit. At that time they were under in just about the same position but under the seats. LOL.

Resized_20200718_123150.jpeg
    The bottom seat pad there has a hard wooden bottom that now sits on both the boards and the shelf the intrusion made. It will officially mean the seat bottom on the passenger side is couple of inches higher than the driver, but at least the seat backs will be the same height. After the interior is all together, I guarantee if you had not seen it here, you would never have guessed what was under it.

Both my daugher and Dad hopped in to give it a "sit" ...they both report they could not tell we had done anything to it. Now we just have to put it all back together. I am only going to put the lap belt section of the Simpson harness in on this side.

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We also started installing the Dynamat after sealing all the seams. The orange stuff is a 3M product that is fire proof. If there is a fire or intense heat it actually starts to expand and fill areas etc. We applied it to all seams in the engine compartment area etc.

Resized_20200718_101749.jpeg
    Then the dynamat

Resized_20200718_134657.jpeg
    We are just about ready for the carpet.

7. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

Found this picture in the "traditional images that need no explanation thread" Inspiration for the hauler. 78.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    cactus1, Deuced Up!, enloe and 7 others like this.
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, that is cool. That is Hubert Platt's and it normally hauled a Mustang.
    Hubert Platt Mustang PS.jpg
    Of course it is just a bit too new for the HAMB but a killer car and Hauler. I am pretty sure one of the 'Stangs and a matching Torino were at the Meltdown Drags the last year the event ran.

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well boys and girls, just a quick heads up. Not sure if you heard or not, but Carl with MOKAN Dragway is putting on a vintage race (with Ryan's blessing) for the missing HAMB DRAGS. There are a couple of threads on the HAMB about it. He is aptly calling it: The SPAM Drags! LMAO!

It will be held on the same day as the cancelled event, Saturday August 22nd. We will be there making the Cobra's debut. Planning on hitting the track Friday night for a few test passes and then Saturday for the SPAM. If you are in the neighborhood, come on down!

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We are also contemplating a trip up north for the Fall Out Drags in September!

Tickety Boo, enloe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know I am pretty well fed up with the whole race seat belt certification! I mean I understand being safe and up to date etc. But this two year deal is starting to get ridiculous. No one out there will recertify them including GForce that used to and say they will again. But for now not.

For example, when I was building the Austin, somewhere along the line I was just gathering parts etc. Among those parts were two full sets of Simpson Cam lock five point wrap around harnesses (call it $600 with shipping). When the car was finished and ready to go to the Meltdown drags, I noticed that they were expired. We were warned the NHRA tech guys would check them. So I had to ordered another set (now call it $1200 with shipping). Just to go make two passes.

Then Poof, the cars goes MIA. So I have a full set of brand new belts (STILL IN THE BOXES) from the first round and the passenger side set from round 2 (that was not in the car at the time it was stolen). But by now of course it is well out of cert. Finally about a year ago or so, thinking we were closer than we ended up being (you know how that goes) you guessed it, I ordered another set. Now this one is totally on me. Knowing what I know, I should have waited until the car's debut somewhere and simply ordered them the day before and had them over nighted to the track! Right?!!!

Well maybe that is extreme but nevertheless I should not have done it. But to make matters worse, last night I get home and open the box and guess what expires in July 2020. I cannot believe it! I went back and checked and sure enough I just ordered them a bit over a year ago. I called Summit but with Covid it is hard to talk to someone and the instant messages that are flying back and forth do not look promising.

So you got it, I am probably going to have to order another brand new set for the Cobra. So just in case you have lost track, here is where I am today! I have four (count them FOUR) brand new sets of Simpson Camlock Harnesses still in the boxes, I have one set out of the box but never even installed and now, I will likely have to order another set (at least for the driver's side of the Cobra). Now that is totally asinine!

12. Six hundred bucks and they wear out sitting in the box? Now, that is insane.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Better check the date on the tires. :D

14. Have you changed the oil? It's probably worn out from old age.

15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Lmfao that’s a good one especially since it’s taking this long to get done lol.

16. I think Stroud will re web belts for inexpensive, probably only theirs though.

loudbang, Thor1 and Deuced Up! like this.
  17. Yeah, just like the oil, I'm worn out from old age waiting for this thing to get done. :D

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What would Carroll do?:eek:

Baumi, Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I know what I’d do, I’d go race somewhere NHRA didn’t have a say.....

20. rooman

rooman

Under NHRA rules seat belt certification is good for 2 years and every set that I have purchased came dated a month or two out from the actual purchase date.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. That is why I am a bit pissy with Summit. I have a receipt with a date on it and just a year later, expired belts. I am sure they will come around. They have been pretty good to me over the years.

22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honestly, it is all based on UV degradation studies that SFI pulled data from. Several different studies some even from the US ARMY. They are completely about environmental impacts on the material.

What I am looking for is the trailer queen, enclosed hauler, enclosed car, climate controlled storage, go to 4 races per year impact study on 3" nylon webbing. I think that ought to be like a 20 year cert...LMAO!

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know and for most place we go it is not a concern but if we want to go play with the Meltdown Boys at the Fallout Drags or maybe the Bowling Green Reunion we will have to get right with god....Ahem...I mean NHRA!

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You know, you would not be the first drag racer to boycott the NHRA!

chryslerfan55, Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  25. These harness rules are kinda horse shit. I have been dinged on outdated harness on a twelve second car that isn't even fast enough to requier them. The truley dumb part is a factory seat belt original to the same car (66 plymouth)would pass tech. In what world does that make any sence. As for boycotting NHRA tracks, IHRA rules are basicly the same. That would leave a small hand full of outlaw tracks.

26. I’m all for safety at speed, but this belt rule is a little over the top. Always mock up with old belts and order new at last minute. Don’t get me started on my Bell helmet that is now only good for a flower pot.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably more outlaw tracks around here than NHRA or IHRA combined. Unless they’ve changed, almost none of them around here check anything.

Deuced Up! and loudbang like this.
  28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tech is a good thing, don't get me wrong. And honestly the whole SFI Certification dates, from harnesses to bellhousings, are just a way to simplify and speed up tech. It takes away the judgement calls by an inspector. Because we all know how judgement calls go at the track! LOL

Having the date on there and making it a go or no go call takes the pressure off the tech folks and places it on the sanctioning body or track (where it belongs) that chose to follow those guidelines. As for the time limits, some of them seem a bit short which always makes me wonder what kind of lobbying the parts makers are doing. But all on all it is about safety, I get it. I don't like it sometimes, but I get it.

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good example of where and or how these certifications and rules etc. likely got started is this car.

2012-05-24_20-16-25_403.jpg
    I found this in Oklahoma about 10 years ago. It was obviously an old ex-drag car. It had a tilt front end and while it was pretty rough, it was pretty darn cool. We were just about to tear into it when I found the Austin. A guy here on the HAMB from Indiana (I think) bought it but I have lost touch with him and it.

Regardless it reportedly ran a 427 with a four speed. It had a plastic dune buggy style seat bolted in (honestly it looked more like one of those stackable chairs from Sunday School without the legs)! LOL

It had a water pipe roll bar main hoop with a couple down bars into the trunk. It still had the seatbelts in it which were made from hacked up GM factory belts. The shoulder harness ran through a chain that was pad locked to a water pipe cross bar on the main hoop just behind the seat! I thought I had a photo of that "safety" system but I couldn't find it. But you get the idea!

30. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Oh, sure...! Blame it on the Studebaker... :D .
    Marcus...