Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 9 SUPER 7!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Boden

Boden

So I know this will be a very split opinioned question. But I am currently running 2 Holley 94s on my merc flathead. I personally hate them. The throttle shafts are a little sloppy and the surfaces aren’t perfect and everything’s just a little worn. And they aren’t even that good lookin. So I’m reading about 97s and you can get a 97 that needs a rebuild for no less than $125 on eBay or anywhere I look. And frankly I already rebuilt the 94s and they aren’t the same and I don’t want to have the same problem again. And the real England strombergs are like $500 each! So I know speedway sells a “9 SUPER 7” carb. And the reviews on them are stellar and they are very affordable. So I’m starting to lean towards buying them with my next Paycheck. But wanted to see what you guys have to say first. I’m just tired of messing with these old worn out 94s

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Whose reviews on them are "stellar"? Do a search on the HAMB.

Jet96, Blue One, kadillackid and 2 others like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I believe I have read the opposite on here regarding Speedways carbs .

Blue One, kadillackid and Boden like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

And original 97’s have a rep about leaking.

Boden likes this.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Blue One and kadillackid like this.
  6. v8flat44

v8flat44

Charlie in N Y did my Ford/Holley & it was GR8. He will fix sloppy shafts etc, & run your carbs on a test engine. Reaonable & easy to talk to also.
    He's on here.

kiwijeff and Boden like this.
  7. How about Charlie in Vero Beach Florida, He is a great guy and can rebuild your carbs or buy rebuilt from him.
    Why are your shafts loose and leaking after a rebuild?
    You need to go oversize on the shafts. The power valves also can be a problem if you are;
    1. using the wrong ones
    2. wrong vacuum setting.

seabeecmc likes this.
  8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm running dual 94's (8RT) on my flathead and they work great and don't leak but I spent a fair amount of time on them when I rebuilt them. When you are rebuilding 70 year old carbs you need to check all screw holes; true all the surfaces; I tape a piece of 400 sand paper to my work bench and then sand every mating surface including both sides of the bases on it until it is completely flat; I also install over sized shafts; soak in carb cleaner after complete disassembly including removal of all plugs; when you reassemble them do not over tighten them . A lot of people just throw them in cleaner and put the kit in and wonder why they leak. When they are over tightened it warps the area around the screw, it's surprising how uneven the mating surfaces are when you start sanding to true them.

IMG_0495.jpg

kiwijeff, Jet96, GordonC and 2 others like this.
  9. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Stellar and speedway in the same sentence.
    I don,t think so.

alanp561, X38, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  10. prpmmp

prpmmp

I,m just going to quote a Nun when I was in Catholic school in the mid 60's(Sister Clint Eastwood) You bold brazen article!! Go stand in the corner and think of what you just said!! Your on the HAMB Man!! Pete

11. Boden

Boden

Just to be clear not all of the reviews are stellar. There are more good then bad and some of the good ones really make the carbs sound amazing. I did sand all the mating surfaces and they continued to leak. The only thing I didn’t do was install over sized shafts or anything of the nature because at the time I didn’t think it would make much of a difference. But I will put more thoight into just making the old ones work. The other thing is I’m racing at the pine tree jamboree in a month and I need working carbs by then. And if I send these out there’s a good chance they won’t be back in time

12. alchemy

alchemy

You think if Speedway overnighted the Super 7's to you, and you installed them tomorrow, you would be able to get them running right by next month?

13. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purely out of curiosity, are you going to be racing the 53 ford that is your avatar at the Pine tree jamboree?
    Is this really ready to race ? I assume there may be age restrictions for race drivers, " insurance and liability " issues to keep in mind.
    53 ford (2).jpg

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When the Speedway carbs came out and were universally panned here on the HAMB, I was at an event in Lincoln and brought up the subject with management. I was told that there were indeed problems and that refunds were made to early buyers. Too, changes were made to the design. It would be interesting to hear opinions of user who have purchased them in the past two years. Speedway haters are a way of life on the HAMB.

kiwijeff and Boden like this.
  15. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

Hope you like leaks. Better off to bite the bullet and save up for the real thing. I'm getting tired of smelling gas and polishing stains off of the intake manifold.

Boden likes this.
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Installing oversized throttle shafts on Holley 94's is easy. I have done many. I got the shafts from Mac's of all places. The throttle levers on them were junk, but they were held on by a machine screw. It was easy to grind the end of the stock shaft off, remove the stock lever, and install them on the Mac's shafts. You also need a proper sized reamer; a drill won't do it.

17. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I can't say anything about the 9Super7s, but I can tell you those new English Strombergs are quality work. I've also rebuilt an original 97 with their rebuild kits and can tell you they make good parts. Well worth the spend, in my opinion.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I had 2 holley 2100 (94's) on my flathead...same issues...swapped them out for a pair of old stromberg 97's...never looked back.

Boden likes this.
  19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

20. alchemy

alchemy

I’ve sent real 97’s to Uncle Max for rebuilds. He does great work, and can provide exactly what you want.

Original 97’s can be found in the classifieds all the time for reasonable $.

Boden likes this.
  21. Boden

Boden

The car has come a long way since then. That was back in January that I took that picture. And I’m good friends with the children of the guys that are running the race. And I meet all the requirements to race

41 GMC K-18 and rusty valley like this.
  22. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be interesting to see what the car looks like right now, before the race, post up some shots when you get some time.

23. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I've run 2 Super 9's on my flathead for 9 years and no problems from Speedway carbs.Guess I'm lucky