Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Nasty Welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mister Bill, Jul 18, 2020.

1. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree with the big grinder thoughts. Mine has been in a cabinet for years now, and I have no intention of using it again. My 4 1/2 inch Dewalt does such a fantastic job, and it’s so lightweight you don’t hardly notice it at all

2. KenC

KenC

I like using a thicker cutoff wheel for the first step, but use it parallel to the weld, not across. Remove the bulk of the excess that way then switch to a coarse resin paper disk to level. Actually stop just a little short of level and change to a finer grit, if getting near primer stage.

That process reduces the heat and doesn't cause the dip on either side that grinding across often leaves.

Los_Control likes this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have a big Milwaukee that I keep a large wire wheel on. Only time I use it is when I'm trying to get rust off something large. I worry mostly about the family jewels when using it and try to remember to never stand with it directly in front of me. :D Definitely not for someone with a sore shoulder.........:eek:

warhorseracing likes this.
  4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

If you want to remove some serious metal , you need one of these. Just put the stone down on what you want to grind and let the weight of the 7" grinder do the work. Really easy to control.
    I rough in with the stone and use sanding disc's to fine tune the area.
    I didn't realize they cost so much but I think the one's I got were donated. They'll turn an hour of grinding into fifteen minutes.
    https://www.zoro.com/norton-flaring...dcb40cce8ce017534ee953dde5f9c0a9&gclsrc=3p.ds

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

Let your shoulder heal! If you abuse it now, it may never be right again.

As for your problem area, I would drag out my plasma cutter and eliminate the problem in a few minutes, then you can use the grinder to clean the area up as you prepare for whatever is next on your list. Gene

warhorseracing likes this.
  6. RmK57

RmK57

Iv'e seen lots of factory welds that aren't much better.

7. mister Bill

mister Bill

For once, I can say I did not do it. I am guessing whoever did this knew what they were doing. It is an extremely beat up construction truck-I am thinking this was welded quickly out in some mud hole. I was actually baffled by this. The measurement to the front tires to the end of the bumper is exact on both sides. I could not figure out how it could be bent back and have the right measurement. Finally, I figured out it is welded too far forward on the right side of the frame.

Like your avatar! Great acting. I like when he wakes up out of a sound sleep laughing his head off about the train whistle, only to see that truck on the other side of the track.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  8. mister Bill

mister Bill

I usually use a cutting disc on my grinder-sounds like a grinding stone might be safer-I've never used one to cut-just to grind or smooth out. May be a better idea.

9. mister Bill

mister Bill

I was looking at one of those yesterday(online)

10. mister Bill

mister Bill

Pretty low on my list for toys to purchase. I did not know that they would work that well. I see them on youtube for repairing rusted inner and outer rocker panels.

11. I use my 4-1/2" grinders for most everything. Cut-off wheel, and let it do the work, and your shoulder won't feel a thing. Just hold the grinder safely.

caseywheels likes this.
  12. Check military surplus auctions. That is where I got mine after Operation Desert Storm or Gulf 1. It was brand new, still crated and never shipped over.

13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A company I used to work for when I started Boilermaking wouldn't let anyone weld until they had proved that they could grind properly. The theory was that if a person saw how much time was wasted grinding off ugly and too high welds, they would make the effort to get their welds correct.
    If the welds are on body panels, I would use a higher number sanding disc, 80 grit or higher. I stack two discs together on top of the rubber backer to help keep the discs flatter. It removes metal faster than the 36 grit. Don't stay in one place too long to avoid heat buildup. I have 3 dedicated 4" DeWalts for wire wheel, grinding and soft pad for sanding discs and 6" DeWalt with .045 razor wheels. It makes it easier to jump from one to another rather than changing tools all the time.

As far as the "catching and jumping" problem people have with cut off wheels, it's probably the individual operating the machine trying to take too large an amount of material at once.

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Like your avatar! Great acting. I like when he wakes up out of a sound sleep laughing his head off about the train whistle, only to see that truck on the other side of the track.[/QUOTE]

...????

15. RmK57

RmK57

...????[/QUOTE]

The 1955 Peterbuilt 281 from the movie Duel. Awesome rig for sure and traditional.:D

16. mister Bill

mister Bill

1946 Caddy got my vote. I liked the idea of using the stone that came with my grinder, and letting the weight of the grinder do the work. I have only used cutting disks, it would be a given that they would bind up and cause the saw to jump. Use a grinder to grind welds. Duh. Why didn't I think of that? both sides.jpg