Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs SOUTHERN RODS SUPERFROST A/C KIT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke Smith, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Now that this thread has been resurrected I now have experience with Vintage Air that I used in mt sedan, my only complaint is the heat/air control valve does not work like it should so I ended up putting a valve in the heater hose to prevent the heated water from getting to the unit, after I did that the air will make you shiver,.

I drove the sedan Monday and the outside temperature was 102, within minutes I had to turn the fan speed down on low, I actually got cold!

Last Month I drove the Ranch Wagon to a fellow club members funeral and I have Southern Air in the car, it was in the high 80's and for more than a hour I ran the air on high and I was comfortable but the guys in the back seat were not.

I have the Southern Air biggest unit in the car and I used Dynamat on the roof, floor and in the doors but like I said earlier, it is marginal at best.

Anyone can have a problem, after talking with the tech guy at Vintage Air I learned my problem was more my doing in placement with the control valve, it was too close to the unit.

In reality there is very little difference in price and the money saved with Southern Air will be a regret in the future. HRP

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Love the comments of the Southern Air hand written instructions thats extremely unprofessional.
    Vintage Air has been manufacturing units for four decades along with great tech support. Can't imagine anyone buying anything else. There's not that much difference in price.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Anybody got any experience with Old Air Products out of TX? Good, junk, or otherwise?

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Positive experience. I expect that the bigger Vintage Air units will cool better (if you have room to install the bigger units)

About 2004, I bought a Old Air Products AC, heat and defrost system from my local AC guy. The system was in an unopened box, maybe a year or 2 old at that point. Looking at the current website, it was a Hurricane unit, very similar to this.

https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/hurricane-2100-complete-system
    I suspect there are some running changes since then...

NOTE: The connections come out the side of this unit, other options are available. More comments below.

I installed it in a 1971 IH 3/4 ton pickup, using the existing dash and defroster vents. The rotary compressor was mounted on the existing IH piston compressor ("paint shaker compressor") bracket. All the work, except crimping the hoses, evacuation and charge was mine.

This truck saw several long trips, including towing a small 5th wheel camper from AZ to WA (thru the Valley of the Living Inferno (Phoenix)). No complaints.

I did seize a compressor - accidentally got it in the defrost mode one freezing mode one dark, freezing morning. All my installations use a trinary switch since then. I also use a toggle switch to disconnect the compressor in the winter.

The truck got totaled, hit from behind and spun sideways into an immovable object. I did not walk for a while, the unit sustained one minor case crack and still functioned.

Back to my note: Saved the unit. Due to the side connections, it would not fit into subsequent vehicles: 1975 IH Scout II, 1986 Ford F150 and a 1962 Volvo PV544. Plan your high pressure, low pressure and heater hose runs before ordering a system.

Recently, I dropped everything off at my favorite AC guy's shop and said "Give it to a good home". Was told that it ended in an old concrete finisher's truck. I asked: "How does it work?". Answer: "That truck has not come back, a couple of their other trucks came in for service".

Russ

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have heard a lot of stories about southern rods products and lack of quality. I use vintage air and nothing else