Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Early 60s Dodge brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Jul 17, 2020.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Just curious what kind of a hub/ drum puller I need to access the brakes on my 60 Dodge. Something I can buy from harbor freight?

2. Arominus

Arominus

For the rear axle? You need a drum puller for the tapered axle. Depending on the actual dodge it is, I’d dump that for a later 8 3/4” or maybe swap a ford 8.8” for a cheap disk/gear/limited slip setup. You can score that from a 95-99 explorer.

dan31 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you need one of these. you may be able to rent one at your local parts store.

Capture.JPG

squirrel and scotts52 like this.
  4. dodge.JPG You need one of these, or similar. I made one out of a piece of bore casing and a couple of bits of 1/2" plate. Looked like a top hat with a 1" UNF bolt in top.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I put a regular 8 3/4 in my 61 dodge when I had a warped drum since I got it for free.

I don't think you can get new drums for those tapered axle rears

6. Please forgive my inexperience, but does the axle flange on those old Dodges come off with the drum? Does it just leave the axle shaft sticking out? I’ve never seen one of been around old Dodges and just trying to understand how this goes together.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Pretty much, the drum and hub come off, they are a taper fit to the axle

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

most cars were built that way...until they figured out how to forge one piece axles. Chevy figured it out in the 30s, it took Mopar until the 60s!