Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What era are you stuck in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 15, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Born in 1949 . Drove my 1951 Chevy deluxe to school in the 8 th grade one day ,got my ass beat when I got home for that one.
    Graduated high school in 1967. I like the late 50's to 1970 and then the world fell apart with low compression in 1971. I remember working at a Sunoco station and seeing the 427 Fords and 409 Chevies filling up with 260 on Sunday morning on their way to Miami- Hollywood for a day of drag racing.
    After I retired I refused to work on anything newer than 1973. I take my 2019 truck to the dealer for an oil change.
    My music tastes run from the pre beatles era in rock to the old stuff in country.
    I refuse to put an LS in any of my cars or trucks. That thing might be great but it looks like it belongs on an air compressor.

willys36, saltracer219, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  2. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Born in 1957, graduated High School in 1975, so I should be a muscle car guy. But I'm not. I like the mid-60's. Rod & Custom covered the Early Times club a lot, big influence on me. Drag Racing too. But I also dug Little John, Fat Jack and Boyd. It's complicated.

Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  3. badvolvo

badvolvo

4. 327Eric

327Eric

Pre 1969. Early bodies with muscle era engines and transmissions, and Acid Rock.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Joeh123

Joeh123

The 50’s and 60’s was a magical period in time, it will never be repeated. An average man could work a regular stable job, and make enough money to support a family, drive a new car, and still have a little left over. Most families are now struggling to get by with both parents working. The new cars these days are cheap plastic junk, and I can’t even fathom how young couples can buy a house in today’s market. The times have changed, and for the worse in most ways.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

No doubt.

Stogy and norms30a like this.
  7. sololobo

sololobo

I am stuck in the 50's-60's era. I just cringe when wheels over 16" are slapped on with low profile tires. But I respect everyone's personal preference and try to not judge.

dan griffin and Stogy like this.
  8. I can walk into my gear room and walk out and blend into 1760 just as easy as blending into a car show. F&I War is a small passion of mine

Roothawg likes this.
  9. You and me are pretty much stuck in the same era. I just like the cars from that era and that was when I was growing up and being influenced.

I kind of like early-ish customs too. Like say late 30s into the '40s.

Stogy, Roothawg and dana barlow like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

55 to 65...... I was born too late to live it but that is the era I like best

11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

The 60's to early 70's was always my favorites. But, all I have now are late 20's to mid 30's.

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

55 to 65 me too, is my comfort zone n fav.,I lived it,got my drivers test in a almost new 1955 Chevy Nomad V8,got my own hot rod running by 59 and built a "J" in too a full custom 60 to 61. The "J"was in Car Craft mag in Jan 63.
    There'll be a time not very far away,all most no one is going be around that really lived it fully.
    So myth may take over from truth,as it's EZ'er an cheaper to copy something that didn't get completed or engineered right.
    I worry some about the bubble of BS by those that were not there,now thinking that primer was a finish,along with any idea that "patina" was thought off as anything,other then screwed up and needs fixing!
    Sure a few cars never got finished,but the idea in builder/owners head was shiny ASAP. Broke or lazy an a number of other excuse's.
    Primer was not a finish,an giving it a BS name like "hot rod black"only shows you fell in too the bubble,out of not knowing or like the idea of not needing to work hard at paint finish. Sure there is a lot of old photos of primer cars,wake up;every car that got shiny was primer as prep an far more often then not got photos then too.
    In the years 55 to 65,we had indoor shows,only shiny cars let in,with if there was room for one project<primer almost complete car maybe.
    How would I know,well I was in 3 car clubs,had my car,one or other in 16+ big shows an more small one's in Florida an Ga. I did pinstriping and names on cars,plus Wild car T-shirts"The Bat"=Yes,I was deep into what was going on at the time.
    If primer is a fav. thing today for some one,great*,as long as you know it dose not look finished or like a finished car of 55 to 65.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  13. cfmvw

cfmvw

My grandparents were a byproduct of the Great Depression and WW2. Grandpa always told me, "Never turn down an opportunity to work," while my Grandmother always told me, "Don't be like your Grandfather", which I am!

Roothawg, Stogy, hfh and 1 other person like this.
  14. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

dana barlow likes this.
  15. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I agree with everything you said. My 1'st two cars were all in primer (spray bomb) from the local department store. Took about 15 cans to paint my 31 roadster or 20 for my 55 Chevy. At .99 a can it was affordable. I said when I grow up it will be shiny. I have had a lot of show cars since and they are ALL shiny. Today kids think that is how we wanted it then. We just couldn't afford to have it any other way!

2OLD2FAST, Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  16. If I ever get back in this in a real way, this era, late '40s.
    FL3A4874.jpg

LAROKE, Roothawg, j-jock and 2 others like this.
  17. Lil32

Lil32

Born 1949, got licence in '66,started work '66
    missed National Service call up to Vietnam '68
    enjoy muscle cars up to '69, and street rods

LAROKE, j-jock and Stogy like this.
  18. primed34

primed34

Car wise very little after '57 appeals to me. Built wise early '60s to early '70s. I say early '70s because I never got over following a hot rod with a chrome Jag or 'Vette rear end.

19. ken bogren

ken bogren

Car wise, late 40s to mid 60s.

dan griffin and Gman0046 like this.
  20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

2020 – in an amalgam of alternative timelines in which various things didn't happen or happened differently after c.1930.

gimpyshotrods likes this.

21. I don’t think people in the bubble of BS are necessarily trying to emulate 100% accurately how things were done 60 years ago. They aren’t like Civil War reenactors pretending to be someone else from a whole different time. They just like old stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen likes this.
  22. Clunker,
    I agree on not needing to be totally accurate.
    Then you become like the Corvette guys arguing over chalk marks
    and tank slips.
    But, after more than 50 years playing with old cars of many kinds,
    ( I have since high school driven mostly "old cars" as daily drivers),
    I guess I found out early that what I always wanted to feel what it
    was like to be the guy in the era when my car existed, however it was when I got it.
    I don't actually build cars, I just like to find them as someone else left them,
    and continue to fix and drive them as how I thought I would have if I
    would have just gotten them the day before. Or continue what the last
    guy started and never finished. This way I am always continuing history
    and having fun all the time driving the history.
    I guess I'm just a driving nut!

dan griffin, clunker and dana barlow like this.
  23. happy1.jpg

37hotrod likes this.
  24. Maybe the kids today can’t afford it either. Being poor or at least on a tight budget is not something most will brag about. Reasons for the paint job or should I say the lack of it could just be a mask. A year or so ago I read an article about how this generation might be the first that will not be as well off as their parents since the depression. Just a thought.

clunker and Stogy like this.
  25. Again the primer thing.
    Back in the day primer spots were on High School kids cars because the plan was
    "When I make enough money, I'm gonna get an Earl Schieb paint job!" $29.95!
    In the '40s and '50s kids weren't thinking about sanding down to bare metal and starting over.
    Nobody I knew was ever laying their car up for 10 years restoring a car or building a rod.
    You had to start Friday nite and be driving again to school or work Monday morning.
    This meant that you were driving your dream as you worked on it.
    Nobody ever thought about doing the deed in a garage somewhere!

dan griffin, MO_JUNK and Stogy like this.
  26. I'm stuck in the new normal rut and it sucks. :( HRP

Stogy and Tony Martino like this.
  27. One more "era" story, and I'm sure there are millions!
    A story my dad told me from late '40s. He was a "car guy" without much $.
    Back from the navy he had a 1936 Desoto Air-Flo. He told me a story in the mid '50s
    about a guy in town that had a 1936 Cord convertible that he really loved.
    He didn't remember what happened to it.
    I had a model of it in about 1957.
    He said it was just like the one he couldn't afford. I had never even seen a Cord.
    FF to late '70s, wife and I went to Indiana to a wedding, and took in the ACD
    museum in Auburn, and saw Cords! Lusting continued. looked in Hemmings,
    found them too expensive.
    FF early '80s found a Cord for sale local. Turned out it was the car Dad
    always talked about. The guy even remembered my Dad. We just bought a house,
    couldn't afford it. Car sold again 6 months later in the South for double the
    price I could have had it for! Damn!
    Now I'm 70 and still can't afford a Cord, but Lusting for an "era" car never stops.
    Here is what the Desoto looked like. I would even want this car, with
    a '57 Desoto Hemi under the hood!
    PS, I would have to do something about the bumpers!
    36-DeSoto-Airflow-DV-09_GC_001.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    LAROKE, hfh, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  28. Mid 60s....Alternators, disc brakes and Torque Thrusts were just coming into fashion. 34americans3.jpg

Roothawg, Stogy, MO_JUNK and 3 others like this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That's some great points,but also like all things we view stuff from our own eyes.
    Like your note too!.

The background we come from,more often then not has much of same stuff if same time in history an things that are not..
    I grew up in small town{Coconut Grove}that was being over run by the big city Miami < now all Miami.
    View was me growing up ,born at the very start of WW2,I think after the war was over it seemed to me from a very young age. That every one for at lest next 20 years had "A can do if you try"" mind set,and one of Dads fav. things was,"Do it right or Don't do it." an "Find out how,Plan a head." Dad was Navy an before an after WW2 built homes an boats,knew how to fix a car ,but really hated to get his hands dirty.
    I didn't get as a kid an allowance , I know some did,I worked a number of temp type jobs every summer from 12 years old on. Most of my buddys did too. Every one was really into cars!
    Planning ahead including trying to have a car to drive by high school,was a thing we did,at least those I knew=set some of the piggy bank for that. Joining a car club was very helpful for how do info an get help too.
    No my piggy bank was not ever going to be full enough for a good car,so knew I would need to start fixing something ,before I could drive legally* alone too high school ,so by Jr High=7th grade was target of get something started. Dad let me use the weeds out back of house out of site,to put my growing pile of car parts,by end 1959 I had a running hot rod. I painted my self with $4 Qt. gloss black enamel{ no primer ,but a lot of sanding,next time I used primer on repaint year later,so used up $12 on primer an gloss doing it better.
    We had a paint place in late 50 n 60s called "Johnny n Mack by The Railroad Track" paint your car $19;95 an they did a pretty good job. But in 59 again in 60, I didn't have that much,so did my self in the weeds out back.
    Cost of gloss is a poor cop out, I think,pun intended LOL

The last line of my other post #102, should be reread by one or two,an maybe all of it again after.

I was invited back to my high school for Miami Sr. High Home Coming event,they wanted to use my High School Hot Rod as a float in Home Coming Parade. It's got chrome headers now,just BBQ paint headers way back, but better tires now then in 60 to 62,rest same look.
    Miami high home coming prade.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    LAROKE, hfh, MO_JUNK and 2 others like this.
  30. favorite era was probably 61 thru 67........interesting thing about it is it's more my favorite era now maybe more so than it was then. That's the funny thing about this nostalgia deal. I probably have disremembered more crap that may or may not have happened the way I think it did to make me that happy about that time.

LAROKE, Tony Martino and dana barlow like this.