Register now to get rid of these ads!

rustoleum questions????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anteek49, Nov 12, 2013.

1. anteek49

anteek49

I have several dozen gallons of regular Rustoleum,everything but black. Can I tint this with regular hardware store enamel? Is there any way to cut the drying by reducing it with lacquer thinner? Are there any definate can or don't ever rules for this stuff? Everything I have needs to be painted and using this up would help the bottom line.

2. squeaky32

squeaky32

I don't think you can tint it, you can use lacquer thinner to reduce, I've used it on metal roofs a few times

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. You can mix colors together quite well.
    I damn near perfect matched "Case" equipment orange with red, yellow, and gray.
    Needed maroon for a Grand Prix under body, red and blue with a touch of black.
    Off white with white and gray, green with blue and yellow just like 2nd grade art class.

There is a Hardener that helps dry time available , I use Valspar enamel hardener from tractor supply. Thin it with what the can says so you don't have trouble.

anthony myrick and dana barlow like this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can thin with lacquer thinner and it will dry faster but will not be as shiny or durable, it will get dull and chalky faster. OK if you are doing a quick paint job on some farm machinery or something you want to go dull and old looking.

dana barlow likes this.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Do's: Use acetone to thin it. Spray it on in thin layers to avoid runs.

Don't ever: drink it.

Moedog07 and Hotrodmyk like this.
  6. anteek49

anteek49

c'mon, guys. Please keep replies coming. Need a clarification on what other TYPES of paint that will mix with the rustoleum....will automotive acrylic enamel mix properly? I really appreciate the hint on acetone. please keep giving input;I'm sure others are interested too.

7. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

In the thread to Von Dutch's paint box there was a link to a series of VonDutch interviews by Ed Roth. When Von Dutch got comfortable and started talking he said Rustoleum was just about perfect for striping (out of the can?) on hot days 'cause it dries so slow.

8. jcs64

jcs64

I reduced 50/50 w/ acetone and sprayed it.
    POS jeep plow vehicle so I really didn't care, but it came out ok.

jeff

9. Rust oleum is oil based. Id think Any oil based paint should mix in well.
    Try some rust oleum and acrylic enamel in a Dixie cup and see what happens.
    I'm pretty sure regular tints will blend in though.

anthony myrick likes this.
  10. 2racer

2racer

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want to tint it you could mix different colors of Rustoleum OR buy it at Home Depot or a hardware store that tints paint, and have them tint it as they would any oil base enamel.

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I'd suggest against the use of strong solvents like acetone/lacquer thinner as they'll burn out the binder in these synthetic enamels. Yeah, they'll speed drying time at the cost of the life of the paint job!

You didn't say when you bought this paint, but some of the rustoleum of days past won't mix with today's products. You can intermix other synthetic enamels with it, but no way in hell I'd mix it with acrylic enamel, epoxy or urethane finishes:eek:

'' Picture all experts as if they were mamals ''

13. Rustoleum says right on the quart jar to thin it with acetone. I have thinned it 4 to 1 with acetone and then poured a capful of hardener in and mixed it up good. You have to play with the pressure and spray pattern on a scrap of cardboard until you like the way it sprays.

It dries hard in a few hours on a warm day and is pretty much done in 24 to 48 hrs.

People will bash it and say this and that but if you prep it right and to a good job it works killer.

I wouldn't do it to a high dollar car but for a low buck project it works great. I am going to shoot my low buck 32 Ford fordor in a few days. Most people will never know or imagine it's just Rustoleum.

14. And... You can mix pretty much any ALKYLID enamel colors together as long as they are still good.

dana barlow likes this.
  15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The instructions on the cans of Rustoleum Professional that I have say to use acetone for thinning. It's worked fine for me.

16. I thin with Mineral Spirits and have had no issues with that, thought that was what the can said to be honest. Rustoleum has a bunch of colors you could mix with, probably come up with just about any color you want.

17. indyjps

indyjps

Acetone, I've even used naptha and it held up fine

18. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

I have used rustoleum thinned with acetone with great results. Actually I currently have my daily driver(off topic car) painted using rustoleum. Get plenty of compliments, it has faded with time of course with chips on the bumper but I have put MAAAAANNNY miles on this car and it stays constantly exposed to the elements(rain, cold, extreme heat, dirt, cats, ect)
    I can post pics if you all will allow me to.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. anteek49

anteek49

I have probably 100 gallons of Rustoleum,some ten years old,most in homely colors. Need to end up with equipment colors that look good ar 50ft/50mph. we do good prep because that is the life of paint job. Chalking doesn't matter, only a quick drying time. I'm doing a '38 ford coupe for my oldest son and he wants Turd brown.figures with a kid,but i'd use some of this bench paint because it will come off shortly.

20. With White, black, red, yellow, blue, & maybe gray you can blend almost any color you want. Also every color you have has been derived from those.

If you need help on mixing what you have, it would be nice To have a direction to start from and head to.

Rust oleum re formulated within the last 10 years too.

21. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Let's face it. If someone is using Rustoleum, they are not doing a show piece. Mix it together and have at it.

22. Joeh123

Joeh123

Rustolium works great. People that knock it, probably haven’t tried it. I mix it with regular generic enamel hardener and 30% clear coat, it sprays easy and look like any other single stage enamel.

23. painting is 99% preparation.
    you can make anything look great with any type of paint if properly mixed and prepared.
    the difference is gloss level, depth, longevity and how it can be repaired.
    dont intermix different binders on the colors. Keep oil based with oil based and ya should be fine
    I use acetone, no issues. Thats what is suggested by rustoleum. Mineral spirits seem to dry really slow for me.
    I would suggest experimenting with color tinting on a scale. Not doing this on a scale and recording the measurements makes it harder to maintain a consistent color when you make a large enough batch to spray or need to duplicate at a later date.
    a good understanding of primary colors will help.

24. When I sprayed my Car with Rustoleum I was told to
    Use Japan Dryer & it worked Great.

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

25. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I hear acetone is fine, depending on the temps. Hot weather and it may evaporate faster then you can spray what you mixed?

I tried mixing my paint with lacquer thinner, while it worked, I was not pleased with the looks ... almost a orange peel while not really.
    Then I was told to use lacquer thinner for lacquer paint, not oil ... regular paint thinner is fine.

Today I use enamel oil from tractor supply 1 gallon is $30-$35?
    I bought the reducer from TS also. Is a cheap brand called Majic. So is enamel paint and it takes the guess work out of lacquer thinner, acetone or paint thinner.

Then I went to napa and bought a pint of universal gloss hardener.
    This will allow it to harden quickly and you can sand if needed in 24 hours or so, suppose to keep the color on cheap paint alive longer.

So I am using, paint, reducer, hardener. About the cheapest paint job you can get.

About mixing the colors, go for it if you want. Personally I would just buy a gallon of the color you want.
    I bought gloss black. I am really not pleased with it. Is fine for frame, core support, inner fenders etc... When I spray the body, for $30 I am going to buy a gallon of semi gloss black. Get the color I want. Not spending years wishing I did.

26. talking about cheap paint alternatives. Here is a FYI
    industrial paints from the known brand manufactures are generally a lot cheaper than automotive paints. The high end paints are primarily for matching new OEM finishes.
    The industrial paints can be custom mixed in alkyd, enamel and urethane. I use our local PPG store where I have an account. The alkyd and straight enamels are not much more than Tractor Supply and rustoleum products.
    We sprayed a test panel in a catalyzed alkyd industrial paint. Came back a week later and cut and buffed it. Looked great.
    Just adding this in case any you guys wanted a color other than the off the shelf colors offered at the home and tractor stores. The alkyd enamel cost me around $50 a gallon to shoot it. The urethane should be in the $75 range.

27. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm doing the underside of some Model A splash aprons and fenders. I primed then yesterday with Ace Hardware's version of Rustoleum red primer thinned with acetone (per Rustoleum recommendation) using a Harbor Freight touch up gun. I'm pleased enough with how it turned out. I plan to paint them satin black today and was reading through this thread to hone my technique and methods. I had only thinned the red primer about 15%, but reading through this thread it seems that about 4 parts paint/primer to 1 part thinner (25% thinning) might be better. I've done very little painting with spray guns and this was my first time to use the HF touch-up gun. Primer seemed a bit thick so I'm thinking going to 25% using acetone. Yes, I realize it's probably not wise to use one brand of paint's guidelines with another similar, but possibly a bit different, product but that's where I am.

Guidance is appreciated.

Lynn

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  28. lake_harley

lake_harley

Being true to my nature, I got impatient and decided to give the 4:1 paint/thinner ratio a shot. The little HF touch up gun did better with the thinner paint compared to the 15%-ish thinned primer did yesterday. Also fiddled with the needles on the gun and got a decent fan spray pattern. I could tell I wasn't getting the same volume of solids with the paint thinned to 4:1, so I needed to move the gun more slowly to get decent coverage with overlapping passes. No runs, so I'm pretty pleased. My plan is to give it about 4-6 hours and hit it (underside of splash aprons) with another light coat before the Ace Hdw. Rustoleum-ish paint cures completely.

Lynn