Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you ever thrown away parts that you thought were worthless?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 16, 2020.

1. I just happen to have a 55 Chevy bench seat, but unfortunately, it is in my Cameo. It was in the truck when I saved the truck from the autowrecker in 1968.
    So to sell the seat, I would have to find something to replace it.
    Bob

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Uribe

Uribe

I was given a complete 69 Mustang gt minuse the engine. It was 1998 and i was 18, i let the city tow it away because i had nowhere to put it and i already had my 66 Mustang to maintain.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. carbking

carbking

NO - I still have all the stuff I haven't sold. I was taught well ;)

Dad grew up during the depression, and had nothing. He was quite frugal later in life. Once, I parted out an OT import, and was about to throw away the exhaust pipe. Dad wouldn't let me do so. About six months later, he cut the pipe where it had gone over the third member forming a pipe that was approximately 12 inches long with a 135 angle and another 4 inches. He installed that pipe on his Allis Chalmers WC for an exhaust pipe; and then told me it was OK to pitch the rest of the exhaust.

Jon.

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Nope, my pops and I have saved enough parts and pieces to build the majority of my single seater. A8DB2332-F7CF-4B38-A86D-5DF641408D15.jpeg

Ragged Edge, alanp561, Tman and 4 others like this.
  5. When i got the 57 Caddy tri power intake the owner gave the huge stock air cleaner with it , I said you keep it . Found out later it was worth over $ 800.

mrspeedyt and 3W JOHN like this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm in South Florida. This thread is bummin' me out more than the virus and riots combined. I can only read it in small doses.

alanp561, chopped, Uribe and 2 others like this.
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy

Yep all the old Flathead V8 stuff I threw away over the years cause nobody wanted it or it wasn't worth anything most of it in good condition. Now I see whats being asked for the same items in the parts ads just got to shake your head.

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. I have always been the same way. If I start getting too much it does go to the swapmeet tho. This winters goal is to thin stuff out a bit more.

3W JOHN likes this.
  9. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

Gave away the running (but smoking) flathead out of my 53 , Because why would I ever need or want that ..

3W JOHN likes this.
  10. Not me but a friend did do a dirty. He worked for a local oil company and this was back before collecting was a big deal. He took a truck load of gas station pump globes to the dump and tossed them. Crashing one off the other in the pile.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    mrspeedyt likes this.
  11. Father-I confess...I had a top hinged seat from my 47 Ford Business coupe that I couldn't give away. I pushed it around my shop and then my back shed for 12 years and finally tossed it in a dumpster....dang!
    -Back in the 70's I rebuilt a '69 Dodge 340 and remember tossing the factory dual point distributor and a perfectly good Thermoquad carb, and cast iron exhaust manifolds into the scrap bin in favor of new electronic ignition,a Holley and long tube headers....the shame....

3W JOHN likes this.
  12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I sold 4 kh 16" bent spoke wires for scrap no one wanted them.

13. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

Well at least I gave my stuff away, what they did with it I don't know. I did see a friend of mine at a flea market selling stuff that looked familiar.

14. Back in the '80's I was building a 302 Ford engine. A friend had a nice hi-perf cam so I traded him a 3X2 intake for SBC with 3 97's. Didn't know why he would want that obsolete stuff.

15. In the 80's I abandoned a 70 impala convertible on the side on the road in Gary Indiana. I left the keys in the ignition, pulled the battery out and walked to a payphone to call a for a ride.

16. 327Eric

327Eric

I have thrown a bunch of crap away that I couldn't sell. I even needed some later. I have been told by many that it was rare and valuable, yet no one would ante up the money to save it.all my Y blocks, 3 speeds, a few bench seats, air cleaners, hubcaps, etc. For the most part, I haven't missed but 3 or 4 items. I learned that rare means there is only i guy at the swaop meet that wants it, and he knows it and is too cheap to make a real offer.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Unfortunately ... too many Ford Flathead engines, some of I'd really like to have back now. I do keep most of the stuff I take from parts cars for later but there is always that piece that I should have saved. :(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Smiffy

Smiffy

This thread also bought back another memory. Me and my friend taking a rough but very complete 34 Chev sedan to the local dump again nobody was interested.That same friend cutting up and dumping a 36 Chev tudor he couldn't even give the thing away nobody was interested.

19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Several 1968 and 1969 Dodge Chargers, whole cars and parts. A whole ‘69 SE with all the good options. A whole ‘68 R/T. Just looking at what the project cars are commanding now makes me feel like an idiot... :oops:

ffr1222k likes this.
  20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i gave the junk man 3 '55 chevy 2 doors once. exellent shape too. one even had a 394 olds and hydro in it.

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Bought an A sedan body with an Olds V8 and six deuce dual log intake with hose connectors in the 70's.

Junked the engine; hung on to the 6 x 2 (with five 94 carbs) for a while.

Got invited to a party where everybody had to bring a gag gift.

YUP. I took the 6 x 2 intake.

KICK ME RIGHT HERE.

22. Running boards, running board aprons, and inner fender wells from my '36 Willys coupe. Also stock clam shell wheels, rear end and gas tank for the car but I don't think they have much current value.

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

To even the score a wee bit, I picked up a '54 Chev front bumper from the junk pile at the university art department and gave it to someone building a Moonglow clone.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Years ago, I benefitted from someone's "...and I took it to the dump" story. I went to the dump to get rid of some junk that really was worthless, and came home with a pair of Chevy power pack heads, a pair of fuelie heads, a pair of IMPERIAL valve covers from a 392, and a complete front axle with brakes from a '42-'48 Ford.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    guthriesmith and caseywheels like this.
  25. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Junked as very early model T frame. Through 34 Ford fenders and running boards. away. Dumped 50 Cadillac engine in river.

26. A good friend had a bucket full of Stromberg carbonators, that he couldn't remember where they ever got off to. Til he went and visited a good friend, and seen the bucket hanging up in the garage. The friend was Pat Ganahl, who will be dearly missed.

The37Kid likes this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hershey is next month, for years I'd take the stuff that didn't sell and dump it in a low spot next to the garage out back. Over the years some dirt would get thrown over it and you couldn't see anything. Then I discovered eBay.....................dug up most of the stuff and sold it there.

28. Everything I throw away is worthless when I throw it away.

J. A. Miller likes this.
  29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!---a '39 trans.

30. raaf

raaf

I had a big pile of scrap steel leaned up in the corner (we probably all do) of my (very) small garage. The usual stuff, cut flat sheet scraps, bed frame angle steel (anyone else grab this whenever they see it??), some old steel rods...and because I didn't have a better place for them, left and right '27 roadster rear quarter panels (good ones, real good ones).

I was cleaning out all the black widows in the garage so I made a nice little pile of the steel out in front of my house near the sidewalk while I swept the place out.

Took a break. Had some dinner. Had a beer. Had a big shot of Cazadores. Had another beer. Ok, yeah let's watch a movie. Beer. ...and *yawn* whadda you know it's bedtime.

In the morning I realized all the scrap steel was gone. Kinda laughed...oh well. No real loss.

Then I remembered the '27 rear quarters were in that pile.

mrspeedyt and Tow Truck Tom like this.