Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Murray - The Last Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scootermcrad, Dec 27, 2014.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Drip rails look great!

scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somehow I doubt that! HAHA

I'm sure gonna keep trying, anyway.

Thanks man! What do you want to know about the door tops?

You just reminded me I still need to get with you about 354 heads. I totally forgot! (palm to forehead)

Thanks Tony! I figured you would appreciate that OCD detail. HAHA

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

The stock Fordor front doors have a taper front to rear with an ugly extra bit of metal on the back. Looks like yours are flat on top after the chop. they really look nice. Bob

tomschev2 and Thor1 like this.
  4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Optical illusion. My door tops have arched openings, which is why this car was believed to be a Murray in the beginning, because Murray was known for this. Turns out Briggs and Murray were both asked to come together for the Slant Windshield cars to produce this arched feature. Traditionally the Briggs bodied cars had straight/flat tops in earlier models. This car is actually a Briggs bodied car, but I didn't figure it out until quite a bit after it received the name "Modified Murray". HAHA

This old picture probably shows it better.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, At least you got me to look at my door. How much did you chop yours? Bob

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chop is pretty mild. Been about a dozen years since I did it, but I think it was about 4".

scootermcrad, Thor1 and tomschev2 like this.
  8. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm still happy you're finishing the car. With that being said, I'd happily buy it from you! But unfortunately I can't get it registered over here since it's a specially constructed vehicle, which we can build, but not import...

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's actually titled and registered as a 1931 Ford. :D The officials of Norway would believe it's stock, right? :D

10. Hansa1100

Hansa1100
    from Norway

Hehe, a few of those officials are actually hot rodders themselves, so no... They might even be reading this! As nice as that is most of the time, nothing gets past them...

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay. I'm making a bit of progress, here. I'm definitely discovering how rusty I am at anything related to paint work, but I'm getting back in the groove. And this time having to try some new things, including a super ghetto paint booth mock-up and trial.

So let's start with the ghetto paint booth. Something that looks more like an Ebola (or Covid-19, if you prefer) isolation tent. I had some leftover remains from a Harbor Freight portable garage worthy of using as a base structure. I put together a little fan setup with filters to at least help a little with the over-spray, but there are probably just too many leaks in this thing to get good flow through these, so I may not fuss with it. The idea is really just to keep the over-spray confined to the space, but also keep the bugs, excess dust and bugs out, and keep the wind from screwing everything up. It's not intended to be awesome, but a step above painting in the great outdoors.

IMG_3293.jpg IMG_3387.jpg IMG_3386.jpg IMG_3388.jpg

Lots more work to be done to perfect it after mocking it up, but I tried it without the fans to do some small parts and it actually worked pretty good. It was windy outside and it held up nice.

So let's get on to those parts I speak of...

I've been mostly working on the cowl top to get myself back "in shape" for my painting routine. I figured this small-ish panel would be perfect to make sure I'm back in the groove before moving on to the rest of the car. At least if I screw this up it's not too bad to fix.

The cowl top needed a skim coat around the rear portion because it got damaged during mock-up. So stripping everything back after sitting and redoing the minor filler work I was ready to lay some high-build and block it out.

61678346808__5B454609-0846-4B8B-850D-522154B9CCEA.JPG

Cleaned up with some surface cleaner I got a good preview of how true the panel is.

IMG_3487.jpg

With the panel basically ready, minus some touch-ups, we're ready for color.

61801614254__D68213D1-4384-40E7-A73B-9BC070A180E7.JPG
    In the spirit of trying to make all things easier and go faster, my friend Cassie turned me on to a better way of putting down a guide coat. 3M Dry Guide Coat is a game-changer. This is probably old news to many, but I haven't done any REAL paint work in a very long time, and amateur at that. This stuff is awesome, inexpensive, and much better than the "Krylon method" I had been using. This stuff really keeps you honest and shows you everything you've missed.

93C5098E-11B2-4A69-81C8-EC19299E0777.jpg

But this isn't the fun part, right??! PAINT is the fun part!!!!! :D:D Let's get on to that!!

It felt so nice to be mixing up some 1936 Ford Washington Blue to put down on this panel. Been a long time, old friend! I love this dang color!!

IMG_3508.jpg

And because of Covid-19, everyone is out of stock of respirator filters around here. I had to go to my back up supplied-air respirator system. I forgot how nice this thing is for the lungs!! But dragging around the hose is a pain in the butt.

61799404406__303DB5D1-105B-4F73-9D91-4D117417BF65.JPG 61799444524__3AD61015-AB39-4F62-B291-C57971284C6A.JPG

One light tack coat and 3 heavy coats and we have color on a panel!

IMG_3514.jpg IMG_3515.jpg
    Sitting out in the hot sun, this color shows it's green undertones. I've always been impressed with how many different personalities this color takes on with different lighting situations.

IMG_3517.jpg
    But, my work is FAAAARRRR from done with this panel. Because I'm shooting outside, there is always airborne dust and garbage that lands in the paint. So there will be some color sanding and polishing to do, for sure. Knowing that, I put the color on pretty heavy, and as a result I ended up with a small run to cut down as well. Yay. That will be fun. But... I'll take that over sheet metal sitting around rusting any day!

IMG_3518.jpg IMG_3520.jpg

12. bantam

bantam

Hi -

Did some quick googling to find the model of supplied air respirator you are using. Can’t find it.
    Do you mind sharing the make, model, where you procured it and approximate price?

If somebody has a link where supplied air respirators are discussed in more detail and can point me to it I would appreciate it. Don’t want to derail this great thread.

thanks

Bantam

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man. It's a Hobby Air "HB01". I don't remember where I bought it, but here someone listing it:
    https://axispro.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4
    I don't remember it costing THAT much. I was thinking it was between $200-$300, but that was a long time ago. Maybe I did pay that much. I bought it to paint the Ranthane aircraft paint on the suspension parts for this car so I wouldn't DIE while painting and got the half mask so I could wear it under my welding helmet. Looks like Eastwood also carries it and possibly others.
    Hope that helps!
    S

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  14. LOOKS GOOD !!

.. little trick on that run .. skim a bit of filler down each side of it. Makes the sanding of the run more uniform. When the filler disappears, the run is gone.

( I'd discovered that trick .. after years of razor blades failing my run removals. )

Of course .. by then, you may be ready to scuff & paint another coat. :) So don't mind me .. I'll be in the corner if you need me.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man!! That's a great tip! I was going to use my little razor blade run nibler, but I like the sound of this trick! I will try it.

Hopefully I don't totally kill this panel color sanding it. Time will tell. I'm going to let this panel sit for a bit anyway, and come back to it before painting the rest of the body. That way if I need to re-shoot it, I can do it with the same pot as the rest of the body. I hated to waste so much material doing one panel, but needed the practice.

I'm FAR from being a good painter, so all input, tips and tricks are always welcome. Thanks!!!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Progress!! Great to see you're back at it, Scott!

Stogy, Thor1 and scootermcrad like this.
  17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks buddy!

Stogy, Malcolm and Thor1 like this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That hobby air supplied air unit is identical to mine.
    I have an Allegro 9000 full face mask to use with it.
    It was great when I painted my RPU
    129318AF-E7B7-4EFD-A7C6-4243C9DB8FCC.jpeg
    Don’t know if you saw it but I finally got the RPU on the road this summer after 10 years of building.
    I still have the interior to do this winter.

Really good to see you back on the build Scott,believe me the first drive is well worth the effort. :cool:
    Larry

-Brent-, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. 73RR

73RR

Scott, you 'da man! Oh how I love that car.

Looks like I'll have to gift the heads to you considering the cost of freight;)
    Fastenal no longer ships 3PL coast to coast and FedEx will run about $1.5/lb...yikes:eek:

Gary

Thor1, scootermcrad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! YES! Looks so awesome!!!! Right on!!!! Congrats!!! I can't wait to see what that feels like! HAHA

If I can get these hoses better under control while trying to work around the car, I may just rock the supplied-air respirator. I wish I had the full face, though. I have to use goggles with it because I just bought the half mask. ERR!

chryslerfan55, Blue One and Thor1 like this.
  21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH CRAP!!! Really???!!! That figures. We'll figure something else out. Maybe they can hitch a ride with someone who is coming this way, or do an old fashioned HAMB relay. If we can figure out how to get them to OKC area, maybe I can convince @chaddilac to bring them the rest of the way, or something. :D

And thanks, Gary!!! I'm nervous to fire this Hemi back up. Been 9 years!!! I've kept oil in the cylinders and turn it over from time to time to make sure it stays free. So that part should be okay... I hope!

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks Scott. For control of the hoses I left the turbine hose I used for my spray gun loose so that I could drag it around with me and for the hose for my breathing air I hooked it to a clip on my belt that kept it on my waist and helped keep me from tripping on it or tangling hoses as I moved around the booth.

l also found it really good to have a quick disconnect fitting for the breathing air which is actually a plastic garden hose quick disconnect fittings from the hardware store.

Another thing I found is that it really helped to have the hose for my breathing air enter the rear of the booth and the hose from the turbine to the spray gun coming in the front of the booth.
    That helped with hose management too.

Looking forward to your progress.

Stogy, scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.
  23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My fresh-air hose has a super nice quick release hose and attaches to my belt, like yours does. Takes very little effort to attach and detach. Pretty good on that front. The issues I've been running into are just the two hoses fighting and balling up. That is such a pain. I think introducing the hoses from two different directions is probably the cure for that. Good tip!! I'm definitely going to try that. Not sure once the car takes most of the free space that it will still work, but we'll see. May just have to run my ol' 3M 6000 series respirator for when I have to work around the whole car in that small booth.

Blue One, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  24. chaddilac

chaddilac

I used Fastenal last week to ship a columbia axle to Indiana. They still ship stuff no problem. Whatever you need me for I'll do what I can @scootermcrad !

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks buddy! I was hoping just to get you to come visit. (shrug) :D

Thor1 likes this.
  26. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Just bought one of those allegro full face masks for my SAS air supply, worked great. Been shooting epoxy primer in one of those portable garages I picked up on overstock for $130. Keeps the bugs and tree droppings out of the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scootermcrad likes this.
  27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

stoked to see this back on the hot burner.

scootermcrad and Thor1 like this.
  28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

OH MY GAWD!!!

IS THAT.....

............ PAINT???!!!

[ He looks off into rising sun, eyes glistening with emotional reflection. A bible verse escapes his lips: "But if ye cannot declare it me, then shall ye give me thirty sheets and thirty change of garments. And they said unto him, Put forth thy riddle, that we may hear it."

It was Judges 14:13. He did not give any indication that it was a relevant bible verse. Rather random and quite unusual.

Regardless, the onlookers were glued to his every word. In the distance an Oryx farted. It was the final sign, the prophecy complete.

Scott is painting his car.

2020 has come full circle. ]

:p:p:p:p:p:p

D-Russ, Hansa1100, brEad and 5 others like this.
  29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! I knew you would have just the right words! :D:D

On a side note... did you get my completely random text on Father's day morning that I was watching an old MFS episode about Darth Walter? I have to say it was a good reminder of what this is all about.

kidcampbell71 and Thor1 like this.
  30. You win the interwebs today Paul.

scootermcrad, kidcampbell71 and Thor1 like this.