Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone use a roll on primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Dave, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Curious if anyone has used the roll on primer and what you think of it if you used it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That sounds hokey to me, I would never try it.

3. Slopok

Slopok

Be better off with the $10.00 Harbor Freight gun!

da34guy likes this.
  4. So the paint company’s ( PPG in particular) really touted this for spot priming in the early 2000’s as a cost save to the Collison Industry. The benefits were less time spent masking and less materials utilized, and when the 6H rule came into effect with a maximum of 3 oz of material sprayed on the shop floor ( where a lot of priming is done ) some shops went for it. It works..just gotta get it flat and make sure you don’t leave an edge. I wouldn’t do a whole job that way..

Tman likes this.

5. did it, worked OK

Tman and chopped like this.
  6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I thought "hokey" is what this site is all about??

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And what about the compressor, water trap, etc? I don't see a problem really as all it is is applying Primer. Now I feel it's not smooth enough scuff it down. I wonder if you used something a little thicker if you could reduce it a little to make it flows out a bit better?

The video was hardly about applying Primer with a roller but a pretty decent "how to" on th ewhole prep process once metal work is done. The spray guide coat is a waste of money; I use the powder on stuff.

8. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

I've used roll on several times... spot priming including an entire hood. Use a foam roller and feather the edges (spot priming) and allow to flash between coats. Works great as filler primer, reduce slightly to help with flow. Depending on product, blocks out just fine.

As far as being smooth enough to scuff and shoot ^^^^^^^ I don't know anyone who just "scuffs" primer and then top coats...

bobss396 and anthony myrick like this.
  9. yep, this process is for priming body work or something that needs a film build followed by block sanding.
    We did a lot of it when it came out years ago but I haven't used it in years.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I should have said block it out.... but my fingers were getting tired. LOL

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah I did . On my house. Worked great!! Lippy

Blues4U, Dirty Dug and big duece like this.
  12. The 6H rule for spraying 3oz outside a booth is kinda misleading.
    It doesn't specify how many 3oz you can spray.:D:D

Tman and Nostrebor like this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

It looks like it works on that Camaro but something like my T coupe has all these ridges stamped in, external hinges to deal with and those "T" moldings along the rear window and trunk lid so I Don't think the roller would be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cuts down on stuff floating around in the air and going where it shouldn't isn't a bad deal and 90% of us are going to get out the blocks and long boards and sand no matter what we spray.

Tman and deadbeat like this.
  15. Blues4U likes this.
  16. chopped

chopped

Dealing with lung cancer keeps me from spraying anything. Laid another brand on thick with a roller, worked great.

Tman and anthony myrick like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

18. Yep..line up the 3 oz PPS cups..

anthony myrick likes this.
  19. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I've been using foam rollers for years. I like the Shur Line brand

20. badvolvo

badvolvo

I admit I did it. The inside of the bed on a 49 Willys truck. That was at least 6-7 years ago, it held up very well, has not been topcoated.

21. This stuff is amazing at what it'll fill. Wonderful adhesion to bare metal. I was talking about it at the paint supply store and there was a guy in there that told me he had rolled it on a car that had heavy pitting and blocked it with 80 grit, filled all of the pits, then he sprayed a couple more coats over it. Blew my mind, but hey, if it works!! Screenshot_20200717-124915_Gallery.jpg

Just Gary, Tman and cactus1 like this.
  22. Thats funny, when I saw the thread title I thought "well, its been around for quite a while" then I got thinking......damn, thats like 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anthony myrick likes this.