Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. is this considered ambiance or character?:)
    IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0482.JPG

brEad, dwollam, cactus1 and 7 others like this.
  2. Slopok

Slopok

Henry would be awfully proud of you!

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ambience with Respect to Hard Earned Soul...

Turn Key, Drive and let the Stones bounce off the inner fenders without a worry in the world...

TFoch, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Stogy, nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  5. Charlie and I worked on it together, masks and social distancing in effect. we pop riveted the pan under the seat in. and screwed the seat riser back in. IMG_0484.JPG IMG_0486.JPG

6. we then bolted the side boards and glued the two ribs in. we used brass screws and brass machine bolts that I had. IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

7. we then glued and screwed the ribs in. I started from the middle and worked my way out in pairs. each board was moistened with a damp rag, glued, clamped, predrilled then screwed down using a brass screw. IMG_0490.JPG

8. I made up a couple guide pieces to get the spacing even. IMG_0491.JPG

9. once they were all in I used the belt sander to sand the boards down even and match them to the sheet metal. I then sanded them smooth with the DA. i cleaned up the glue and sanded a few edges. the slacker vacuumed up the dust. IMG_0492.JPG IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

10. arched red oak glued and screwed together is really strong. how strong? 190 pounds...... IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG

11. tacked off, first coat of varnish IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0507.JPG

12. We appreciate you taking the time to document this. It's been interesting watching the truck come back to life!

13. This is awesome!

14. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I absolutely love this build. You are true craftsman working with steel and wood.

Keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. loudbang

loudbang

Now the NEXT guy to find this somewhere in the distant future and it trying to replace the top wood is going to go crazy trying to match your work. :rolleyes:

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Every time I come to the HAMB I find a thread that amazes me. First, because I hadn't seen it before, and second, because the work being done is so outstanding. Your use of the tree that fell on the truck to rebuild it is great, on so many levels. Thanks!

17. thanks for the comments acknowledgement it really helps to keep the motivation up. I really appreciate it.
    @ct1932ford those are Coullots my work skirt is in the wash.

18. olds vroom

olds vroom

Not to mention the two characters doing the work. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. I put a second coat on the wood this morning . The Slacker showed up with some stuff after lunch. a new set of door checks and material for the top and door panels.
    the door checks were originally held with a rivet, but the new kit came with cotter pins, Charlie said he will change them in the future. we had to heat the D-nuts that held the rubber bumper to the back of the post and grind off the bottom of the rivet. once the threads were chased Charlie put them together. IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG

20. top material. we will put the vinyl over the wood first with the good side down. Charlie thought a lighter color will keep the interior brighter. IMG_0516.JPG

kidcampbell71, brEad, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. we had to heat, WD and use the impact driver to get the top of the doors apart but we were able to save all 6 screws. I took what was left of the door channels out. they were held in with a hook at the top and bottom that were riveted to the channel. the channel had just enough stretch to get them hooked. there is only one bottom hook remaining. the slacker sand blasted the door tops and I will prime them with epoxy primer. IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

22. Charlie dropped off his steering wheel for me to prime. he fixed a bunch of cracks with JB weld.
    on my way home from work I stopped at a glass shop that went out of business. a friend of mine was cleaning it up for the owners and gave me a few pieces of new glass for this project. there also was a windshield already cut for some early car that was never picked up. IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0527.JPG

23. now that the third coat was dry I put the wood behind the seat in. IMG_0528.JPG ...the Rolls is watching over this project.;)
    :cool:

kidcampbell71, 32SEDAN, brEad and 7 others like this.
  24. stretched out the vinyl and cut a piece bigger than the "opening". I started in the middle of the back, then the middle of the front, pulling it tight as I went. I did a few inches then did the same with the sides. I started in the middle and pulled it tight. I worked my way around top, pulling it tight till my fingers ached. I used a combo of staples and tack nails. I used the tacks across the back that were long enough to go through the slats and into the header. IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG

loudbang, Runnin shine, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. once that was done I trimmed the material and using contact cement I glued the edges down. IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG

loudbang, Runnin shine, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  26. this will be Charlie's view from inside. IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG

27. and we still have enough material left over for the doors and kick panels:)
    IMG_0544.JPG

Just Gary, cactus1, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

not too late for some discrete insulation under the seat behind it and in the doors.outof sight, out of mind.

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. Chris, I am sure Charlie will do something before he puts it all together. I am pushing to get the top on so we can get the cab to his house and up on the frame.

Stogy, TFoch, loudbang and 1 other person like this.