Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 carb hunting.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZThompson53, Jul 16, 2020.

1. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

Anyone have any experience with these reproduction strombergs from speedway? Looking to ditch my rotten-chester Screenshot_20200716-065143_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. dudley32

dudley32

Most everyone prefers the Stromberg reissue over the Speedway take off...

ZThompson53 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I went a different way on the 235 in my 46 coupe. My avitar shows 2 two barrel Weber carbs o a Clifford intake. These have the larger 4 barrel size throats & bases & used 2 offset adapters on top to space the 9" air cleaners apart. All this works great but ain't cheap. The first thing I had to learn with the Webers was to always fold over the bendable tabs that lock the nuts on the linkage as you cannot just tighten these nuts down.
    Someone should be able to get 4 barrel manifold bases and cut/weld &replace to originals on the manifold if you just want 1 carb. Or get adapter bases. Jimmie

ZThompson53 likes this.
  4. I've got a professionally rebuilt Rochester BB 2 barrel carb that I'll sell for $100.00 plus shipping. It originally came off of a '51 Olds 303 V8...
    12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 15.JPG

dudley32 and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

What intake are you using that mounts a 2 barrel?

7. ZThompson53

ZThompson53

I was going to run and adapter. Not sure if a 2 barrel would be too much on a stock motor with fenton headers though
    Sent from my SM-G988U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Mimilan

Mimilan

A weed sprayer with gasoline in it would have better metering than a Rochester "B"

Use a Holley 1920, From a Chrysler slant 6.
    its a bolt-on [except linkage mods]

If you have the patience to make an adaptor [and to go hunting ]
    get an Aisan 2 barrel off an early Toyota Landcruiser FJ4o. [2F engine]
    It has a vacuum secondary so you will have good road manners

6inarow and alanp561 like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did what your wanting to do in 1960 when “rebuilt” 94’s were $2.00 with an adapter. After 2 weeks went back to stock. Then tried 2 singles on a Sharp manifold, bought the complete unit for $15.00. 2 months later went back to stock and sold it for $20.00.... stock was the best. If your having trouble with a Rochester, I’d go with a Carter. Same linkage and possibly a better choice. Your Rochester should not have leaked. I’ve had shafts repaired surfaces made flat... good luck

alanp561 likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

NOT a fan of the Rochester type B (or BC) single barrel carb; but it still should perform better than using the 2-barrel you asked about through a 2->1 adapter.

Carter made a lot of type YF carburetors specifically for Chevrolet, here is a list I did a few years ago:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carter_YF_Chevrolet.htm

Some folks like Zenith type 228 carbs from a G.M.C.

Jon.

ZThompson53 and 6inarow like this.
  11. never had an issue with my Rochester on the 235
    was I doing something wrong?
    they leaked a little, not any worse than a stromberg
    I attributed that to not having a regulator

12. carbking

carbking

You maybe should play the lottery ;)

Seriously, casting warpage was/is an issue causing the power (economiser) valve to always be open.
    Power piston is known for sticking in the "on" position, causing the same as above.

Jon.

13. Heavy Old Steel

Heavy Old Steel

I put a Rochester 2 jet on mine with an adapter to the original manifold, works great, better than either of the 1 barrels I have had. Smooth and easy starting, I also have HEI.
    IMG_20200609_145040407~01.jpeg

Sent from my moto e5 play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Mimilan likes this.
  14. 6inarow

6inarow

I had a YF on my 56 - 235 for 95,000 miles

15. I actually thought it was one of the best carbs I have ever run

Baumi likes this.
  16. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I was told while researching my carb problems a lot of people have problems with the YF because the they were primarily made for the big 300 Ford engine . Because that beast liked a lot of gas I believe the fuel oriface was almost twice the size than was required for the Chevy engines and would imagine that the rebuild kits had the larger parts also.
    With that said if anyone has a good carb of any flavor that will work on my Bel Airs 230 cu I would be very interested.
    Dan

17. carbking

carbking

Dan - if you go back to the list I posted earlier, and pick a YF that was designed for the Chevrolet, the calibrations will be correct.

The correct orifice fuel valve comes in the better rebuilding kits; but many of the cheaper FLAPS kits do contain the larger orifice for the Ford engines. ASK when purchasing the kit. The problems with the valve are not the fault of the YF, rather those who just replace without knowing what they are doing.

Jon.